Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 570 Times in 314 Posts
Default 5 year old daughter has better form than I do

Shawn Clement often talks about how our brains are wired to handle heavy momentum, and if we just create the momentum, our brain/body knows what to do with it. This has never been more evident to me that today when my 5 year old daughter picked up my Omega big bead and threw it as far as she could:

She’s never watched a single form video and certainly hasn’t spent hours in the field working on weight shift and bracing like I have...yet here she is, bracing inside her posture, finishing balanced up on one leg, even the high five finish sidewinder talks about. The human body is truly amazing.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2020, 09:07 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 318 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
Shawn Clement often talks about how our brains are wired to handle heavy momentum, and if we just create the momentum, our brain/body knows what to do with it. This has never been more evident to me that today when my 5 year old daughter picked up my Omega big bead and threw it as far as she could:

She’s never watched a single form video and certainly hasn’t spent hours in the field working on weight shift and bracing like I have...yet here she is, bracing inside her posture, finishing balanced up on one leg, even the high five finish sidewinder talks about. The human body is truly amazing.
Whoa! 10y from now, pick your sponsor!
Old 11-20-2020, 09:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 332 Times in 145 Posts

Damn. My 4 year old has some work to do in order to catch up.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:18 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post

Proof that too many people put stock in all this mechanic mumbo jumbo instead of just going out there and throw the dang thing and do it naturally.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-20-2020, 10:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 214 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Proof that too many people put stock in all this mechanic mumbo jumbo instead of just going out there and throw the dang thing and do it naturally.
That’s actually proof of the contrary.
In fact this is proof throwing a hammer is beneficial, and learning proper leverage is important. To her that disc feels like a sledgehammer, so her body has to brace itself. It can’t afford to be inefficient lest it hurt itself. A fully grown adult male will be able to get decent power from improper leverage and get away with being inefficient.
I think you really need to look at more than the surface level of posts. This is incredibly strong evidence towards the methods taught on here by seasoned members, not towards your unproved hypothesis. You’re seeing evidence in the way you want to see it as opposed to being objective. Additionally you manage to turn almost every thread you involve yourself in into a platform for you to proclaim your self-described expertise.

To the OP, that’s a heck of a throw, and a heck of a kid. Tell her to keep up the good work and you should keep us posted on any further developments!

Niced: (1)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:41 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
In fact this is proof throwing a hammer is beneficial, and learning proper leverage is important. To her that disc feels like a sledgehammer, so her body has to brace itself. It can’t afford to be inefficient lest it hurt itself. A fully grown adult male will be able to get decent power from improper leverage and get away with being inefficient.
I think you really need to look at more than the surface level of posts. This is incredibly strong evidence towards the methods taught on here by seasoned members, not towards your unproved hypothesis. You’re seeing evidence in the way you want to see it as opposed to being objective. Additionally you manage to turn almost every thread you involve yourself in into a platform for you to proclaim your self-described expertise.

To the OP, that’s a heck of a throw, and a heck of a kid. Tell her to keep up the good work and you should keep us posted on any further developments!
Humm.. No one walked her through all of Sidewinders drills. Before Sidewinder came along thousands of people learned to throw discs far.

The point I am making is that drills are not a bad thing, they do help. But so does going out to a field, clearing the mind and just throw the discs. People place far too much emphasis on drills and not enough on figuring it out on their own and working through trial and error. I highly doubt the big throwers like PP, Eagle, Lizotte, etc, spent all their time in forums and with coaches going through analysis of their mechanics and doing endless drills. No, they went out and just threw the discs over and over again and figured out their own style.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 21
Niced 1,619 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Humm.. No one walked her through all of Sidewinders drills. Before Sidewinder came along thousands of people learned to throw discs far.

The point I am making is that drills are not a bad thing, they do help. But so does going out to a field, clearing the mind and just throw the discs. People place far too much emphasis on drills and not enough on figuring it out on their own and working through trial and error. I highly doubt the big throwers like PP, Eagle, Lizotte, etc, spent all their time in forums and with coaches going through analysis of their mechanics and doing endless drills. No, they went out and just threw the discs over and over again and figured out their own style.
Dude, really just stop hijacking every thread with your same tired argument. It's really not about you all the time. Mmmkay?

Old 11-20-2020, 11:51 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post

Thanks, and I completely agree. The purpose of this post wasn’t to talk about how awesome my kid is(tho she is), but rather to show how efficient the human body is at leveraging the momentum of a heavy object. 180 gram disc is about .4 pounds, she weighs 40 pounds, so throwing that disc to her is like a 200 pound adult throwing a 20 pound disc. Sidewinder/HUB/Clement have all talked at length about making the arm heavy and swinging a heavy arm, and the body will figure out the rest. This is just proof of that reality.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:53 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Dude, really just stop hijacking every thread with your same tired argument. It's really not about you all the time. Mmmkay?

Seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-21-2020, 12:44 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 520 Times in 287 Posts

I hope she gets into it and sticks with it. She’ll be a fifteen year old FPO phenom before you know it.