Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 04-14-2021, 11:17 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 11
Niced 24 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Some of that is disc lagging shoulders lagging hips.
For sure, I understand that. There is a sequence though of the weight flows through the body and I'm curious how it starts. Such as: left arm swings internally ➡ weight shifted to front leg by pushing off back foot ➡ hips rotate ➡ shoulder rotates ➡ wrist rotates

Something along those lines would help me understand the progression.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2021, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,975 Times in 4,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
I read the S&T stuff and what they say "others" teach isn't always what they do. For example they think everyone teaches an actual pulling motion across the chest rather and than a fixed upper arm. Well, some do - Stokely does, but he doesn't do it IMO. So probably what others think S&T teaches has some gaps too.

I think maybe there are 7 or 8 schools of thought on rotation.

1. Rotation is caused by a force applied by the trail foot perpendicular to the direction of throw.
2. Rotation is caused by a force applied by the plant foot perpendicular to the direction of throw.
3. Rotation is caused by a force applied by either foot that moves the mass of the body parallel to the direction of throw, and the brace is slightly off center line, so when the mass of body hits the brace it is forced to rotate.

Now multiply these by two: The case where you rotate on purpose, vs the case where you focus on something else and it happens anyway. Stokely is very clear in his clinics: as long as you wait to pull until the plant leg is down, everything else takes care of itself. I asked him about nose up, and he said just don't pull until you land. So now we're up to 6.

7. Rotation is a deliberate twist of the hips unconnected to feet. This I think is the BW S&T idea, but it's also the 3X pitching idea.
Bradley claims to not know or pay any attention what others are teaching, but yet he condemns it all universally and is not compatible with S&T.

IMO a good teacher is aware of what others are teaching, and possibly learning from them.

Re 7. That is not my understanding of BW's foot twist drill or squish the bug which are the opposite of the Swivel Chair Drill.

8. Gravity rotates you due to how the body works. Any movement you make causes rotation one way or the other. To stand on one leg(or even two) you have to resist gravity pulling you into rotation. If you swing your arm, that causes rotation. If you squat that causes rotation. If you walk forward you rotate. This is why some golf instructors say that rotation is a difficult concept for people to understand.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-14-2021, 02:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 193 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
To clarify, and curious what others have to say, do you move your off arm internally before pushing off your back foot to transfer weight? Or does one do this simultaneously (push off back foot and move off arm internally at the same time)?
I would say it's simultaneous. Grouped as one thought even. "Compress the left side into the right side as right side is planting."

I often remind myself of the Scott Stokely quote where he mentions a person not being able to hold all the swing thoughts in their head and activate them at the correct millisecond of a throw. It's just too fast.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:55 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 713 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
2. Blake was the founder of DGR and I think Gotta Go Gotta Throw disc golf store.
Wait are either of these things true? I highly doubt the GGGT one and I less seriously doubt the DGR one.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,975 Times in 4,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Wait are either of these things true? I highly doubt the GGGT one and I less seriously doubt the DGR one.
Pretty sure Blake owned DGR(not to be confused with DGCR). I know Blake worked at GGGT, but not sure at what capacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.20.34 PM.jpg (75.0 KB, 365 views)

Old 04-17-2021, 10:34 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 95 Times in 60 Posts

Posted on S&T this morning:

Old 04-17-2021, 10:43 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,116 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Pretty sure Blake....
He only played 9 events in his disc golf career. That was surprising. Maybe he played alot of local non sanctioned events. ?
Old 04-17-2021, 10:50 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 316 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
Posted on S&T this morning:

by me. It´s been posted here before. Nothing to do with S&T.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 280 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
by me. It´s been posted here before. Nothing to do with S&T.
Let me know when you get banned lol

Old 04-17-2021, 07:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 197 Times in 80 Posts

HUB talkin' double G