#101  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Utah
Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,806
Niced 1,355 Times in 776 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaire27 View Post
Something between the straighter Felon and more OS Undertaker. I could use a Fairway/Hybrid (9/10 speed) that can stand up to a little headwind and still fade out; can hold a hyzer line with no flip up, but can be put out straight for a bit before fading. I have a fortress, but they are a bit more stable than I'd like for this role (so no PD). I think the Thunderbird might fit the bill here, but wouldn't mind some input.
Getaway is probably a better fit here than Thunderbird. I've only thrown a few Thundies, but they were generally in the "stubbornly OS" category. The Thunderbird is pretty close to a mellow Felon, albeit with a bit more glide and a more forward penetrating fade rather than that whiplash fade of Felon. They are different discs but not different enough to warrant bagging both, IMO. Getaway is in the same general disc type as the Thundy, but is glidier and will push forward more in fade. Can hold up in a decent headwind but is definitely no replacement for your Felons in a hurricane. Getaway bridges your gap better since it is a tad less stable than Thunderbird.

My absolute favorite plastic was the Special Edition run, which came out flatter and was basically Fuzion-X before Fuzion-X was a thing. I've tried Lucid-X and didn't care for it, for the same reason I don't particularly like Thunderbirds. I think any stock run of Lucid or Fuzion would be basically what you are looking for. I personally really like the Getaway in Biofuzion though. Gives you a bit more distance out of the box and quickly works in to being one of my longest discs. On a day when I'm not throwing great, a Bio Getaway can keep pace with my Trespasses. However, the mold does lose a fair amount of windfighting capability in Biofuzion plastic.

EDIT: Slower disc, but I am re-visiting the Teebird here. It also fills the Getaway slot but is more rangable with less fade (no surprise since it's a slower disc).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by aphilso1; 05-03-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:24 AM
jmdaire27's Avatar
jmdaire27 jmdaire27 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Duluth
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,369
Niced 696 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Getaway is probably a better fit here than Thunderbird. I've only thrown a few Thundies, but they were generally in the "stubbornly OS" category. The Thunderbird is pretty close to a mellow Felon, albeit with a bit more glide and a more forward penetrating fade rather than that whiplash fade of Felon. They are different discs but not different enough to warrant bagging both, IMO. Getaway is in the same general disc type as the Thundy, but is glidier and will push forward more in fade. Can hold up in a decent headwind but is definitely no replacement for your Felons in a hurricane. Getaway bridges your gap better since it is a tad less stable than Thunderbird.

My absolute favorite plastic was the Special Edition run, which came out flatter and was basically Fuzion-X before Fuzion-X was a thing. I've tried Lucid-X and didn't care for it, for the same reason I don't particularly like Thunderbirds. I think any stock run of Lucid or Fuzion would be basically what you are looking for. I personally really like the Getaway in Biofuzion though. Gives you a bit more distance out of the box and quickly works in to being one of my longest discs. On a day when I'm not throwing great, a Bio Getaway can keep pace with my Trespasses. However, the mold does lose a fair amount of windfighting capability in Biofuzion plastic.

EDIT: Slower disc, but I am re-visiting the Teebird here. It also fills the Getaway slot but is more rangable with less fade (no surprise since it's a slower disc).
Nicely!

The getaway is something I’ve thought about. I understand it is a workhorse fairway driver, and my worry is that it might get to be too similar to an undertaker in little time (I love trilogy, but their plastic is not as durable as most brands, for sure). Might get one to try though. Might as well audition to position!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-03-2021, 11:41 AM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Utah
Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,806
Niced 1,355 Times in 776 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaire27 View Post
Nicely!

The getaway is something I’ve thought about. I understand it is a workhorse fairway driver, and my worry is that it might get to be too similar to an undertaker in little time (I love trilogy, but their plastic is not as durable as most brands, for sure). Might get one to try though. Might as well audition to position!
I've thrown Getaways since they came out. They were definitely my workhorse fairway driver when I lived in Nebraska and was playing windy park style courses 90%+ of the time. Perfect combo of windfighting, distance, and control for Central Plains golf. Now that I am playing mostly wooded courses, it is a situational mold only. I find that I'd rather throw something either more neutral/workable or a meathook disc, but that middle ground straight-to-moderate-fade shot isn't really something I need a whole lot.

As for the Undertaker comparison, I'd say that a fresh Biofuzion Getaway would overlap with an Elite Z Undy (sorry, that's the only plastic I've thrown an Undertaker in). The Getaway has a more reliable fade, even in Biofuzion, but the HSS is really similar. A max weight Lucid Getaway would give you a good amount of separation from a max weight Elite Z Undertaker though. The Getaway is both more HSS and more LSS, but with similar glide/speed.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-04-2021, 08:25 AM
auzcar auzcar is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 163
Niced 64 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I can vouch for the Getaway as well, it's a great disc. More glidey and understable than the Thunderbird for sure. If you want it to be reliable in headwinds I'd recommend a max weight Lucid. The Biofuzion is definitely more understable and will beat into a hyzer flip disc in a few months if you throw it a lot, at least it did for me. Like mentioned the Getaway is sneaky long as well.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 05-10-2021, 12:57 PM
jmdaire27's Avatar
jmdaire27 jmdaire27 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Duluth
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,369
Niced 696 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Tourney yesterday, again at highbridge. Played Granite long-long, and blueberry. It was very windy. I averaged mid 940s, which is cool, so I’m right around 960 the passed 4 tourney rounds. That’s neat.

I feel very confident off the T, despite not getting massive distance (much more of a controlled thrower than distance, I like Truths and Undys off most Ts). I triple putted a couple times, and even four putted once.... (I blame being out of position, and getting aggressive in the wind, but seriously, a 6 on a par 3 is not acceptable). Putting is such a hinderance.

Anyway, bag was more or less the same. Used the Fortress in the slot discussed the past few posts. Served its purpose.

After this event, I’m in this zone where I am debating switching back to a trespass cycle (little less stable then the wraith, but I think more D potential with my arm), and potentially trying a new putter, just to try and flip a switch with my mindset. Nothing in stone yet though... shrugs.

Here’s to hoping for a big bump in rating tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 05-11-2021, 11:25 AM
jmdaire27's Avatar
jmdaire27 jmdaire27 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Duluth
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,369
Niced 696 Times in 414 Posts
Default

I know lots of people think ratings are dumb, but it’s fun to get a “grade” on how you play. I had a decent jump today, but this last weekends event wasn’t included, so I should see another small jump next month too.

Checking the math: average(970 off the tee, 900 on the green)= 935. It checks out.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 05-12-2021, 06:49 PM
jmdaire27's Avatar
jmdaire27 jmdaire27 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Duluth
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,369
Niced 696 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Took trespasses (in place of wraiths) to leagues yesterday. Couple holes calls for a long shot. Kinda made me wonder why I switched to begin with.. Such easy distance, very comfortable. Got this very domey MF Lucid that, at my power, flies like what a beat in destroyer flies like for pros (granted probably half the distance...). Some flip to straight flight to small fade. So nice.

Might dabble with them for a while. Got a baby on the way, so hoping to get out a bit here before she comes!

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 06-03-2021, 11:20 PM
jmdaire27's Avatar
jmdaire27 jmdaire27 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Duluth
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,369
Niced 696 Times in 414 Posts
Default



Judge / Judge / Proxy / Envy / Zone
Warrant / Truth / ETruth / Verdict
Heat / Undy / Undy / Undy / Felon / Felon
Fortress / Trespass / Trespass / Trespass / Trespass

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 06-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Lemur's Avatar
Lemur Lemur is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Courses Played: 11
Posts: 86
Niced 23 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I'm digging Trespass's as well as of late. How do you like the 2019 Lucid-X Trespass? Is it noticeably more stable than a traditional lucid Trespass?
Reply With Quote
 

  #110  
Old 06-04-2021, 08:50 PM
jmdaire27's Avatar
jmdaire27 jmdaire27 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Duluth
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,369
Niced 696 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
I'm digging Trespass's as well as of late. How do you like the 2019 Lucid-X Trespass? Is it noticeably more stable than a traditional lucid Trespass?
I dig it a lot. I am sad I let a couple backups go. It is very OS, for my arm anyway. Bio Enforcer-ish. In fact, the bio Enforcers are the backup to that guy now. It’s just more pretty. Doesn’t come out often, though.

But yes, very good OS compliment to a normal Lucid Trespass.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
elmexdela 2020 itb elmexdela Bag Suggestions & Feedback 22 10-25-2020 03:51 PM
Herb's 2020 ITB HERB brooks Bag Suggestions & Feedback 46 10-12-2020 08:49 PM
JMD27 2019 ITB jmdaire27 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 45 02-09-2020 02:41 PM
Start of 2020 ITB Micah511 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 4 01-06-2020 11:29 PM
jmd27..My Wants For Your Wants jmdaire27 The Marketplace 23 02-25-2015 01:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.