Old 10-03-2021, 03:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 344
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 967 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Man View Post
Still haven't played the local Mcbeth designed New London Tech cause I'm just a Rec player and don't want to card a 100+ round.
you've been playing 10 years. it shouldn't be offensive for me to say you'll probably always be a Rec player. just go play the course!
Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2021, 08:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 124
Niced 888 Times in 354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
you've been playing 10 years. it shouldn't be offensive for me to say you'll probably always be a Rec player. just go play the course!
I've played Idlewild 7 times, yet to get single digits OVER par. But it's my second favorite course to play. I agree, just go play it.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:06 AM

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 1
Niced 36 Times in 12 Posts

As you've alluded to in the past Chuck, the vast majority of folks who play disc golf are more towards the rec end of the spectrum. Reachable and ace-able holes are fun, and regions, courses and course complexes that offer fun layouts for various levels are more 'accessible' meccas... Especially if we want families to truly plan disc-golf-centric vacations. I'd definitely include the Reno/Tahoe/Carson-Valley area, which straddles CA/NV as a family friendly dg mecca, with lots of other natural wonder, outdoor rec and historical interest attractions to supplement the dg aspect...

Here's a rundown of the options in the region (mecca)

South Shore (Tahoe)

Bijou (27 holes with 130+ pins, front 9 quite beginner friendly)
Zephyr (elevation, forest, incredible views, but its a hike, zephyr cove resort next door; beaches, boating, horseback riding, v-ball)
Kirkwood (ski resort, more extreme elevation than zephyr, a favorite for 'hikers', July wildflowers, mt biking option for family...)
Tahoe Paradise (welcoming new 9-holer to satisfy beg/experienced players, only turf pads in area, lake + other park activities)
- interpretive info on signs about prominent peaks seen from course)
Turtle Rock (was prime destination south of Tahoe with camping along a creek in middle of course, but claimed by Caldor fire!)

Carson Valley

Pine Nuts (High desert, incredible views of mountain ranges, mix of short/long holes, interesting metal artwork)
- interpretive info on signs
Carson Ridge Park (Stadium Course 18 + Pony Express 9, which is a very highly rated beginner course; beg/int/adv pars on signs)
- interpretive info on signs, disc golf dedicated parking lot)
Dayton (Cottonwood tunnels along river, very challenging, but pleasant walk for tag-alongs...)

Reno

Wedge (South Reno, popular 9 hole short course, with great 'introductory' elevation changes)
Lizard Peak Complex (North Reno/Sun Valley, 27 big mountain holes + very popular pitch n putt 9-hole)
Mayor's (North Reno/Stead, innovative use of mando poles, split rail fence, ob, islands, in rolling/open desertscape, concrete tees)
Washoe (known as "The Shoe", long ball golf P2P layout, carts, refreshments, luxurious...)
The Ranch (Reno's first permanent course. Some elevation & great downtown Reno/Mt views, decent beginner course)

Truckee/Tahoe Area

Stampede (USFS property on reservoir, forest, elevation, camping, boating)
Donner (ski resort, gorgeous granite, mt and lake views, fun elevation! amenities and food at lodge)
Truckee Regional (area's first course along truckee river, near historic district, forested, open and some elevation. Park amenities)
Sierra College (in Truckee, heavily forested, tight, challenging lines, elevation, tricky wayfinding)
Tahoe Vista (pay to park, regional park, forested, manzanita, some great lake views, more advanced, but park stuff for others)
Incline (more beg friendly 18 but also will satisfy huckers on a few holes, winds around tennis, next to rec center, tahoe beaches)

Old 10-03-2021, 12:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 201
Niced 425 Times in 186 Posts

Would like to give a shout out to Saint Cloud MN. Early May of this year the buddies and I took a roadtrip from KC to check out Airborn and some surrounding courses. We played all three Airborn courses, Montissippi, Clearwater/Pleasant Lake, and Hidden Lake. All where a big hit amongst us.
Though Airborn is in its infant stages I believe Cale Leiviska is just getting started on what will become one of DG greatest meccas in the states.

PS. Word on the street is Hidden Lake just put in concrete tees... WOW. I am jonesing to go back.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 494
Niced 564 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
No criteria. I like travelling. Or at least dreaming of travelling. Just wanting to spark some casual convo.
The international Disc Golf Center (IDGC) in Appling, GA is something you might want to look into. It's where the PDGA is located (meh), there's an awesome museum with a pro shop, and a trio of top tier courses. IMO every player should make a trip there at least once.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 246 Times in 67 Posts

Charlotte hands down the mecca

Old 10-23-2021, 10:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 321 Times in 179 Posts

Tupelo MS is disc golf valhalla.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 790
Niced 4,080 Times in 2,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by air show View Post
Would like to give a shout out to Saint Cloud MN. Early May of this year the buddies and I took a roadtrip from KC to check out Airborn and some surrounding courses. We played all three Airborn courses, Montissippi, Clearwater/Pleasant Lake, and Hidden Lake. All where a big hit amongst us.
Though Airborn is in its infant stages I believe Cale Leiviska is just getting started on what will become one of DG greatest meccas in the states.

PS. Word on the street is Hidden Lake just put in concrete tees... WOW. I am jonesing to go back.
if thats all you played while up there in stc you still have plenty of quality courses left to try

Niced: (2)
Old 10-24-2021, 01:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 672
Niced 3,722 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
if thats all you played while up there in stc you still have plenty of quality courses left to try
Homer

Not wrong though.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 205
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 216 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupamarley View Post
Highbridge Hills, Mellen, WI. Where I’ll be tomorrow!!!!!!
This.

If you're ever in Wisconsin, definitely book a weekend stay at Highbridge.

Then after that book a weekend at Sandy Point Resort which is less than an hour away from Highbridge