Old 10-12-2021, 09:19 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 758 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I find it funny that the discussion revolves around THC. We naturally seem to go there. Not the real possibility of other performance enhancements. Probably says a lot about where the game is actually at.
Adderall, Cortisone, Oxytocin and Lidocaine who knows what the doctors are prescribing the players now a days and if it is complaint.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,514 Times in 1,397 Posts

We don't want drug testing but we want TDs to enforce the no hippy lettuce rule at PDGA events.

That rule is a blast to enforce.

Good times.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 122
Niced 5,235 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
The PDGA could come over the top and say no drug testing at PDGA events otherwise you lose your sanction status. Not that they are encouraging use of anything, just assuring no one influences the events or the players.

This is coming from a person who's only vice is potato chips........
The PDGA rejoined WFDF (World Flying Disc Federation) last year.

article

One of the things WFDF does is chase disc sports being in the silly ass Olympics which means a relationship with the IOC which means putting up with WADA. Such testing is highly unlikely to occur in North America I am told.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:57 AM
Banned

Niced 508 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The PDGA rejoined WFDF (World Flying Disc Federation) last year.

article

One of the things WFDF does is chase disc sports being in the silly ass Olympics which means a relationship with the IOC which means putting up with WADA. Such testing is highly unlikely to occur in North America I am told.
The Olympics is dead anyways. Viewership was down 58% from the previous games.

Most people don't care about the Olympics and trying to be a part of a dying competition is silly.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:08 AM
Banned

Niced 508 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Perhaps this was a feeble attempt at humor? It is insensitive and pathetic. Be better.

I find it funny that the discussion revolves around THC. We naturally seem to go there. Not the real possibility of other performance enhancements. Probably says a lot about where the game is actually at.
I imagine that Steroids or HGH are fairly expensive too. With only a dozen touring disc golfers currently able to make a real living wage, I doubt this is an issue until the purses start reaching other major level sports.

Lebron has been said to spend a million dollars a year on his body, which IMO likely includes "illegal" substances too. Testing can be beat and the top sports don't want the negative publicity anyways. Many of them will give a week lead time to the athletes.

Also in the same discussion, who is going to pay for the testing? Ultimately it would have to be the players themselves. Hey your entry fee is $150, testing is $200. Good luck with that.

The NBA also came out and said they no longer are testing for THC.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8,283 Times in 2,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
The conversation is about overreaching and what the olympic committee considers leveling the playing field. Competitive advantages can come in all shapes and forms both literally and figuratively. Yes, I think drug testing and dudes throwing in the protected woman's divisions are silly things. You can refer to my game as good/great moving forward.
Sadly, I left you an out, by implying your ignorance was an attempt at humor. You should have just let it go.

Now we are just left with pathetic.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 10
Niced 395 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Any game or sport that gets big enough ,with money involved, has this happen eventually. It's about trying to make competition as fair and natural as possible. (regardless of how you personally feel about what should or shouldn't be allowed to consume)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
If it's a competitive sports event on a high level, then doping control should be expected, IMO.
Well both of you hit a vulnerable point there.

Disc golf in switzerland is practically non existent. Before Corona we had no events that even filled up their 72 spots. We have a few new players now thanks to Corona, but disc golf in switzerland is nowhere near "big", "enugh money involved" or "competitive".

Also i think that the laid back attitude of some players actually attracts some new players who are in it for the fun rather the competition (At least for their beginners phase).

As i said, it's about the where and when. I could understand testing at a world championship or an event with several 1000 spectators. But at a C tier in switzerland that nobody ever even heared of? For what exactly?

Old 10-12-2021, 10:55 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 300 Times in 164 Posts

I don't really understand how "grow the sport" is an issue here. If you never grow the sport, then you don't get any of this testing, but you're also competing for tiny purses at top events. If you want tiny purses, you can still just go compete at events that have effectively zero chance of getting WADA tested.

Anyone who likes to indulge, and opposes "grow the sport" can still go compete at the same level of event with the same payouts and notoriety that would be there without the sport growing (which is to say, low payouts and low/no notoriety).

What am I missing? FYI, looks like the WFDF (world flying disc federation) subjected themselves to WADA in 2013.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:07 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 289 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
Interesting how you are pissed by it.

If it's a competitive sports event on a high level, then doping control should be expected, IMO.

If you want to have fun in Ed's sense, then you don't need to take part in such events.

Wanting to compete for national championships and such in form of a competitive sport, and at the same time wanting to just have fun and consume whatever you want does not make sense to me.

You can even have good competition and free consumption: just run your own invitational tournament, don't PDGA-approve it and no one will care.
The issue with testing for weed is that the players may not be high during the event, or even in a couple of weeks prior to the event, and still test positive. I don't view weed as a PED though.

If we are saying that it helps with pain or recovery, then Ricky has to quit his ice baths as well.
Or to go even further to the extreme, every pro has to have the same diet and live in the same controlled atmosphere so that no one has an "advantage" in their recovery.

In the end, it comes down to the world's weird stigma against weed that isn't present against alcohol.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 758 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
What am I missing?
The possibility of corporate sponsorship for tournaments, players or even more, but that is entire other bag of worms that no one at the moment wants to get into.