Old 01-04-2022, 07:33 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 96 Posts

Smugglers notch has some family stuff and is also near lake Champlain. Vermont is nice in general. I want to go to that Thai island they do that Samui tournament at.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2022, 08:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 315 Times in 108 Posts

[QUOTE=pmay5;3778922]Glad you asked! I've been meaning to write this for the North Carolina Beaches for a while now. For many years, there were just a few course near our beaches and only one really good course. But that has changed in the last couple of years - going north to south, by beach area:

Outer Banks - Casey R. Logan in Kill Devil Hills is a solid 3.5 with great support, multiple tees and baskets. Also nearby, the mostly open Currituck County Rec Ctr and the beginner/family friendly Ace Run. 3 other courses a short drive inland.

Crystal Coast (Morehead City) - 4 decent beginner courses nearby, the mostly open Eastern Park and a short drive to the very good Northeast Creek in Jacksonville. A little further drive to New Bern and you will find another very good course in Glenburnie and Creekside.

I love playing Casey Logan! I've made 5 trips there in two years, most recently last month, going back soon. Amazing what the club has done to the course. The shorts look the same except now all paver tees. The longs have been transformed adding long tee pads, and long baskets on just about all the holes stretching out the majority of the longs adding par 5's. Footbridges and distance markers have been added. I have the course at a 4.0 and a favorite. Currituck now has all rubber mats. Going to check out Frisco Disc to the south at Hatteras to see if it's as wacky as UDisc makes it out to be.

I was at Glenburnie this morning, love that course. Elevated tees flying past Spanish moss along the river. Creekside has added long tees with concrete, looks like some realignment, and the B9 is tight. I just updated the course.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by lee76007; 01-04-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 196 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
When I'm thinking about destinations, I'm thinking about places people take their families for an experience. Beaches, cities, foreign countries, mountains, etc. For US destinations, it doesn't seem too hard to find a course to play, but I'm not sure this is true outside of the US.
My wife and I just got back from Hawaii. I recommend it. It wouldn't be a terrible flight from Texas either. Closer for you than Puerto Rico I would guess? We connected thru DFW.

We have also been to Stockholm. One of my favorite trips ever. Jarva is a world class course and it's a subway ride from the center of Stockholm.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,065 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanNoodleArm View Post
My wife and I just got back from Hawaii. I recommend it. It wouldn't be a terrible flight from Texas either. Closer for you than Puerto Rico I would guess? We connected thru DFW.

We have also been to Stockholm. One of my favorite trips ever. Jarva is a world class course and it's a subway ride from the center of Stockholm.
I was thinking more about a new development. PR is not a really long trip for the eastern half of the US. Couple hours east of Florida. A week there would be significantly cheaper than a week in Hawaii.

BUT, I would love to vacation in Hawaii as well.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 176
Niced 1,069 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I had to do a field survey at a chemical munitions depot in Arkansas years ago. A location in which munitions were manufactured and stored decades ago and today they are demolished. Don’t get off the indicated walking paths. Don’t touch anything, particularly if it is wet—just don’t touch anything.

Not a warm fuzzy place.
In the spirit of this thread, our area (Kitsap County) made #10 in the Udisc top 10 DG destinations (I know, it's Udisc ). We've had way more rain than usual since Oct., so I don't recommend coming here from mid-October to mid- May.

But also, talking about courses where munitions were stored, I wanted to mention our busiest course, N.A.D. Park (short for Naval Ammunition Depot)https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=107, had to close down for a month back in I think 2005, when someone found some sort of ammunition/explosives on the property.

They had to completely go through and try to make sure there was nothing else left out there. The course was fairly new so it really wasn't broken in yet. When they got done, a lot of the undergrowth was gone so it made lost discs less of a thing anymore. Far as I know, nothing else has been found since.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 130
Niced 8,367 Times in 3,017 Posts

To the specifics of the thread, I don't see disc golf in a resort being a particular draw. It might be a bonus for a disc golfer who is otherwise going there, but I can't imagine many people choosing a resort vacation based on it. Orlando, Florida has some very good disc golf, and I've played there as a break while on vacation, but it wasn't what drew me.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 47
Courses Played: 225
Niced 1,136 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
To the specifics of the thread, I don't see disc golf in a resort being a particular draw. It might be a bonus for a disc golfer who is otherwise going there, but I can't imagine many people choosing a resort vacation based on it. Orlando, Florida has some very good disc golf, and I've played there as a break while on vacation, but it wasn't what drew me.
We have even better courses now. Lake County has the highest rated course ln Florida now and the county also has several courses on the top 25FL list and one of the highest rated 9 hole courses in the world. They are close enough to Orlando to be easily played if there on vacation.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-07-2022, 08:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 130
Niced 8,367 Times in 3,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
We have even better courses now. Lake County has the highest rated course ln Florida now and the county also has several courses on the top 25FL list and one of the highest rated 9 hole courses in the world. They are close enough to Orlando to be easily played if there on vacation.
In the commotion of a week at Disney, a morning at an empty Turkey Lake was a wonderful respite.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 315
Niced 432 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
In the commotion of a week at Disney, a morning at an empty Turkey Lake was a wonderful respite.
Couldn't agree more.
My main Con against Bill Frederick Park (on Turkey Lake) was the large, metal gates did not open until 8:00. If I could have gotten in sooner, I could have played both courses (at the time) instead of just one, before catching our flight home.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-07-2022, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,065 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
that's fair.