Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 01-07-2022, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,359 Times in 1,130 Posts

Initially I hated the comet, but I could tell that if I learned it, I would for sure become a better player overall. Very neutral, can do a bit of everything but maybe not the best at any one thing. Cleaned up my technique and learned angles, and I have rarely not had one in my bag since then
Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2022, 02:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,822 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Initially I hated the comet, but I could tell that if I learned it, I would for sure become a better player overall. Very neutral, can do a bit of everything but maybe not the best at any one thing. Cleaned up my technique and learned angles, and I have rarely not had one in my bag since then

Ugh. Everyone loves the Comet and I really wanted to learn that thing. Guess I’m too much of a Neanderthal to figure that thing out. I found it much more of a touch and finesse disc that just didn’t suit my style at all. Lucky for me I figured out I can do Comet type stuff with a Roc with much less skill on my part.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:29 PM

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 2
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Kind of. I hate the Zone. I do not understand how it is praised by almost everyone who touches one. I throw it straight into the ground every time. I hate it so much that I bought a second one to make sure I didn't somehow get a dud the first time. Now I hate them both. But I already know I'm going to have one of them in my bag come this spring (MN non-winter player here) because I have to understand how that thing is so universally loved.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 322 Times in 109 Posts

2020 was my first full calendar year in Disc Golf with a form that worked well enough but could be bad at times. I bought a Wraith Dx and couldn't throw it. A little more than a year now I've cleaned up my form and throw much more consistent with more distance. I made a trip to Lake Marshall (Virginia) this past August and decided to buy some cheap throw aways Wraith (fade) and Valkyrie's (turnover) in case I couldn't carry some water holes, no practice with them. I threw the Wraith Dx and carried the water and hit the barrel, I thought "where did that come", threw it for a few more times and had some good results. I picked up a newer Wraith and a Star Wraith and love throwing them when needed. Even had a nice compliment from a twosome I played threw from the back tees at Waller Mill this morning a heavily wooded course when I split the fairway down the middle.
So, the disc didn't help correct my form, but the Wraith showed me the hard work for over the past year has paid off, and I'm still working on the form. I did buy two Pig's when I decided to get serious with my form for field work. It was a struggle with them, but now I can't live without one in my bag, and I go back to them to tweak or correct my form.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 26
Niced 2,141 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Mirrors my experience, kept putting it back in the bag and then started doing field work for BH form. Can't imagine not having one in the bag now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Guess I’m too much of a Neanderthal to figure that thing out.
Likely so but even cavemen need a little finesse in their game.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,822 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Likely so but even cavemen need a little finesse in their game.
Lucky for me my putter finesse game is solid. Not sure why I struggle with that with mids.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:22 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 31
Niced 66 Times in 44 Posts

I probably should throw all these overstable bricks everyone likes because that's the "modern game" but
Old 01-07-2022, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,399 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Lucky for me my putter finesse game is solid. Not sure why I struggle with that with mids.
FWIW... the mid was a problem for me unless it was a Buzzz or something I could powergrip but I needed better angle control, putter grip was lousy too I needed to transfer more power, short end of it is I use a birdie grip. Basically a power grip but you pop your middle finger out and give the "birdie" . It gives me better angle control of the disc. A bad grip has led to many bad shots for me. If my fingers are locked on it it's going where I want.

Which brings me to this......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolfdisc View Post
Kind of. I hate the Zone. I do not understand how it is praised by almost everyone who touches one. I throw it straight into the ground every time. I hate it so much that I bought a second one to make sure I didn't somehow get a dud the first time. Now I hate them both. But I already know I'm going to have one of them in my bag come this spring (MN non-winter player here) because I have to understand how that thing is so universally loved.
I don't blame you for hating them. I used to love it, it had its uses, it still has use and is a great disc especially FH...... Back in the day when I loved it though I had big closet full of form problems and toque issues...haha... torque issues. It masked a lot of my problems because it always faded no matter how sloppy I was. It's still good as a wind disc or whatever but there's a ton of torque monkeys out there that will tell you they need a zone/force etc because no other disc can handle their 300' of RAW Power !!
Old 01-07-2022, 07:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 14
Niced 132 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
I'm not bad with my putters, but I definitely have the opposite problem from you. My putters are weaker, which is why I'm not throwing anything from MVP right now-- their putters fit too well in my hand and I feel like I should be able to throw any putter at least decently...

Old 01-07-2022, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 276
Niced 644 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Took a while to learn how to properly manipulate a roc but it was the key to many other things down the line.
THIS

About 30 years ago I made the concerted effort to learn to throw the Roc...

Took a couple years to figure it out

No regrets whatsoever.

Rocs don't beat in,
they mature...