Old 01-07-2022, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 47
Courses Played: 225
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,157 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
In the commotion of a week at Disney, a morning at an empty Turkey Lake was a wonderful respite.
Don't get me wrong, I like those Turkey Lake courses as much as the next person (Three 18 hole courses onsite now, for those keeping score at home) but the Lake county courses are also very nice and the Debary courses are also within reach of an Orlando vacation. Florida has been upping their disc golf game. Some of the most popular Tampa area courses are getting makeovers, BIG things are happening in Bradenton, heck even Lakeland has two decent courses now.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2022, 08:59 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 743
Niced 4,188 Times in 1,677 Posts

Lake Counties in five states have some top-rated courses in their state:
IL Fairfield 4.58 (#1)
FL The Green Gauntlet 4.38 (#1)
IN Lemon Lake Gold 4.00 (#14)
CA Highland Springs Reservoir 4.00 (#21)
CO Colorado Mountain College, Leadville 3.93 (#21)

Niced: (2)
Old 01-07-2022, 09:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 130
Niced 8,369 Times in 3,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like those Turkey Lake courses as much as the next person (Three 18 hole courses onsite now, for those keeping score at home) but the Lake county courses are also very nice and the Debary courses are also within reach of an Orlando vacation. Florida has been upping their disc golf game. Some of the most popular Tampa area courses are getting makeovers, BIG things are happening in Bradenton, heck even Lakeland has two decent courses now.
I don't doubt it. But besides Turkey Lake / Bill Frederick having multiple courses, it has a nice secluded feel due to being gated, and on a weekday morning about 10 years ago, we had it all to ourselves. It was that peace, in addition to the disc golf, that was a welcome break between Disney days.

We also played Barnett Park while in the area for a bowl game once, and enjoyed it, but it didn't have that sort of seclusion.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-08-2022, 10:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,497 Times in 561 Posts

North side of Houston has some great courses for when you're a northerner like me visiting the area when there's cold weather back home. Love me some McDade, Texas Army Trail, Northside Christian Church, etc. (I gotta get back to Little Egypt too!).
Old 01-08-2022, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,070 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
North side of Houston has some great courses for when you're a northerner like me visiting the area when there's cold weather back home. Love me some McDade, Texas Army Trail, Northside Christian Church, etc. (I gotta get back to Little Egypt too!).
it was 50's and a little damp this morning, but I got my first round of the year in. Since I started playing in April of 2020, I think I've only missed playing at least one round per week a handful of times due to weather.

Unfortunately, I did not play well...but, I got to play, so it's a good day.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-08-2022, 02:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,497 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
it was 50's and a little damp this morning, but I got my first round of the year in. Since I started playing in April of 2020, I think I've only missed playing at least one round per week a handful of times due to weather.

Unfortunately, I did not play well...but, I got to play, so it's a good day.
Are you local to those courses? We come down every Thanksgiving!

Old 01-08-2022, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,070 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Are you local to those courses? We come down every Thanksgiving!
DFW. I would have gone to Waco for the tourney there, but have obligations this afternoon.

If you or anyone is coming through DFW and wants to bag a round, I'm (almost) always up for it. There are a few other folks I know for sure around here that post here and are good for a round as well.

I don't get down towards Houston often, but will keep it in mind. My daughter is in Galveston, so we will probably go there and maybe I can bag a course or two while there.

Niced: (1)