Old 01-07-2022, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,072 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
BTW. Your image is correct if the line represents the actual thickness of the line laid down by the designer or if no physical line, the thickness of the object that is the Mandatory. If the Mando object thickness is that of your dot, your drawing is incorrect.
A couple of points--they are using the term plane, so that's two dimensional. Krupicka said earlier the mando orientation should be marked by the TD, which is likely to be string.

By default, since I drew the line on the example, that IS the thickness of the mando in the example, i.e., it was intentional.

With regard to route options based on where the disc lies and how it gets to it's lie, BillFleming has further clarified the question we are trying to resolve.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-08-2022, 10:24 PM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 71 Posts

My interpretation is that your solutions for #2-orange (crossed plane once) and #6-black (crossed plane twice) are contrary to what Krupicka has said so far. Also, he indicated that the plane is indeed only 2 dimensional and mandos must be marked accordingly. We have varied ideas so like he said-I'm standing by.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

Rules Dudes....I really like the rules videos you have on YouTube (PDGA channel). I watched them, but especially the one on mandatory. But still not clear is what do you do when the disc is on the line and never fully entered the restricted area....or if your lie would cause the disc to enter the restricted area during the throw.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:28 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 743
Niced 4,188 Times in 1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Rules Dudes....I really like the rules videos you have on YouTube (PDGA channel). I watched them, but especially the one on mandatory. But still not clear is what do you do when the disc is on the line and never fully entered the restricted area....or if your lie would cause the disc to enter the restricted area during the throw.
I agree. The RC is working on it. My suggestion is to simply make a disc touching or on the line missing the mando regardless which way the disc arrived there. In other words, if you break the virtual plane of glass, you missed it. If your disc lands close to the missed mando line without ever crossing it, allow players to mark up to a meter from the line on the line of play even if it means going toward the target when landing beyond the line. With the new line of play rule that disregards mandos, the meter might give the player a somewhat better line if landing near the mando object without missing it (minor bonus).

Note that at least on the Mando vid, the verbal conversion subtitle text had some errors in a few spots. Not sure if that's correctable in the video or if videos must live with the YouTube verbal conversion to text.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 55
Niced 177 Times in 89 Posts

How about "The disc is not in play until it is released"?
Old 01-14-2022, 10:56 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 48
Courses Played: 479
Niced 3,593 Times in 1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
So restricted planes would becomes Holtzman shields?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 42 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
The tee sign says the mando is between the poles. But we still have people who ignore tee signs and throw wherever they want....mainly in casual play - but that's a different matter.
The issue might be the confusion caused by the implementation of these mandos? Given my understanding of mandos, I would assume to prevent throwing over the road, the left side image I am posting below would suffice. However, given the way it seems to be described here, I would interpret the left side image as technically being okay. Again this is based off my understanding of the hole and of mandos.
Attached Images
File Type: png Mando.png (18.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by dndelli; 01-14-2022 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 01-14-2022, 07:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 55
Niced 177 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
So restricted planes would becomes Holtzman shields?
A quick google tells me this is a Dune reference. Never saw the movie, never read the book( started to but lost interest).
Reachbacks can break any plane as long as the disc release is inbounds.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndelli View Post
The issue might be the confusion caused by the implementation of these mandos? Given my understanding of mandos, I would assume to prevent throwing over the road, the left side image I am posting below would suffice. However, given the way it seems to be described here, I would interpret the left side image as technically being okay. Again this is based off my understanding of the hole and of mandos.
Not really any confusion. We actually have had casual players say they don't care about the mando and are "taking the shortcut". Most players, especially in tournaments, understand the reason for the mandos and how they are set up.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,072 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Don’t think that works. A disc that ends up on the line would be a problem.

If it comes from the tee side, you are expected to throw the mando. If it came from the pin side, but the exact same finish, you can throw at the pin?

Seems to me that the only consistent result is, if it touches the mando plane, it’s a fail and penalty stroke, throw from the drop zone.

I don’t think that was the intent. It may be the only option.