Old 01-16-2022, 02:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 559
Niced 289 Times in 88 Posts
Default Other Sports Remind Me of Courses

Many times when I am watching other sports, the location of the game or where the teams are from evokes memories of playing good courses in that general area. At times this thought process leads to the idea that a lot of people who regularly play at one of my favorite courses will be happy with the result of the game. Other times it's just a passing thought about hoping to play the course again.

For example, The Wildhorse-Idlewild game yesterday was a good one, but Maple Hill-Chili was a blowout.

Today I'm looking forward to seeing Golden Gate Park vs Selah Ranch and Moraine vs Waterworks.

Has disc golf just driven me crazy or do others have these thoughts?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:50 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 743
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,175 Times in 1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD09 View Post
Has disc golf just driven me crazy or do others have these thoughts?
I have them now...

Old 01-16-2022, 03:42 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,033 Times in 1,000 Posts

Forget other sports, just driving down a road I look at the landscape and think about holes that could be there.

You're far from alone lol

Old 01-16-2022, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Niced 8,277 Times in 2,837 Posts

Several years ago, Mrs ru4por and I spent a decade traveling to see the Red Wings play, at every hockey arena. We often took long weekends to a week, to hang out in the city, eat some great food, check out local tourist traps, hike and visit natural attractions and play some disc golf. It was not always possible, it was before Uber. But, we played some terrific courses. When watching hockey now, the games often jog our memory for courses visited.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:05 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Several years ago, Mrs ru4por and I spent a decade traveling to see the Red Wings play, at every hockey arena. We often took long weekends to a week, to hang out in the city, eat some great food, check out local tourist traps, hike and visit natural attractions and play some disc golf. It was not always possible, it was before Uber. But, we played some terrific courses. When watching hockey now, the games often jog our memory for courses visited.
Those sound like great trips and great memories!

I played BRP on a trip where we also went to a Twins game and saw the Red Sox at Fenway on two trips that also included Maple Hill and Pyramids. Both baseball and disc golf are involved in summer trips, when I can make it happen.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:08 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Forget other sports, just driving down a road I look at the landscape and think about holes that could be there.

I definitely share this mindset too! Almost daily! LOL

Niced: (1)
Old 01-16-2022, 05:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,719 Times in 771 Posts

I definitely don't have those thoughts with sports.

I do, however, imagine baskets and what shot I'd throw whenever friends put up their outdoor pics on FB/IG.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-16-2022, 10:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 51
Niced 696 Times in 414 Posts

Quote:
Back when the Wings were relevant! I’m sure Steve Y will get them back to some winning ways soon (look what he managed with TB!). My Wild look poised this year (crossing fingers).

Quote:

Driving down the road, hiking through the woods, watching tv shows, dreaming of having 20+ acres of woodsy land… basically something every day sparks a “put a basket there” moment. Man I want this snow to melt….

Niced: (4)
Old 01-17-2022, 02:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 672
Niced 3,741 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Not sports for me, but travelling to see Dead & Co. is what got me over to Cincy. Which made it feasable to play Idlewild, Boone, Lincoln Ridge and Mt. Airy. We also seen them a few days later by Indy (or earlier, I forget) so we got to bag Hazel Landing and a bunch of Indy courses. That trip sparked my recent course bagging exploits. Before that it was pretty much just WI and the states next to us.

We had such a blast seeing new, non upper midwest things that we figured we'd try to see the Dead in as many different places as possible and mix playing awesome courses in too. So in early 2020 we thought why not drive to St. Louis to see the Dead and hit Harmony Bends, Foundation Park, etc. Then Covid hit, concerts were cancelled. Harmony Bends was still open and I already had hotels booked. So we went to MO anyway. Loved it. In fact we had tickets to see Ben Harper in Fargo the month before (June) that was also cancelled. Went to Fargo anyway since Iwen park would be open and I had stuff booked.

Now this is the new norm for me. And I've seen places I never would have dreamed I'd ever see. When life gives you lemons, sometimes you gotta paint that s*** gold. (Obscure album title reference there)

Niced: (4)

Old 01-17-2022, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 2,945 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:

Same here. Everyday, I pass somewhere that I think "there should be a basket there".

3 spots just around my house. There's one spot where a highline comes down a steep hill, around a short corner, and there's this little cove of pines right there. Could play it as either a wicked uphill chuck or a fun downhill run. Everyday I pass it, and every day I imagine what I'd be throwing.