#91  
Old 01-15-2022, 09:21 AM
peabody's Avatar
peabody peabody is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Western Kentucky
Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 55
Posts: 1,414
Niced 177 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
, throw from the drop zone. It may be the only option.
Less confusing is always best.


And maybe better designed holes.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-17-2022, 10:11 AM
dndelli dndelli is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 96
Posts: 31
Niced 42 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Less confusing is always best.


And maybe better designed holes.
I wonder how this change will retroactively affect already designed holes. I've seen a few J/U shaped holes where the metaphorical line would possibly need to be "redefined".
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-17-2022, 10:17 AM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is offline
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 743
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,767
Niced 4,188 Times in 1,677 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndelli View Post
I wonder how this change will retroactively affect already designed holes. I've seen a few J/U shaped holes where the metaphorical line would possibly need to be "redefined".
Anyone who designed a hole like that has presumably figured out they needed to mark their Missed Mando Line so it passed between the tee and the basket to prevent short cuts.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-27-2022, 04:36 PM
txmxer txmxer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,249
Niced 2,071 Times in 1,069 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
We are working on that clarification.
Any progress on this?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-27-2022, 04:56 PM
krupicka's Avatar
krupicka krupicka is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 77
Posts: 1,555
Niced 720 Times in 335 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Any progress on this?
It is in process. Hopefully soon. (There has been a lot of time spent on this over the last two weeks).

Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 01-27-2022, 06:06 PM
BillFleming BillFleming is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona
Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,805
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
It is in process. Hopefully soon. (There has been a lot of time spent on this over the last two weeks).
Awesome! I was a volunteer at a recent A-tier and discussed this with several players and the TD. There wasn't any consensus on how to handle the situation that we've discussed ("making" the mando, having the disc roll back towards the restricted area and, due to the backswing, having the subsequent throw enter the restricted area). There was a very good chance of this happening during the tournament and luckily it didn't.

For hole 1, there was a triple mando. Shortly past the left leg of the mando, there is a tree. Several players had their disc hit the tree and bounce or roll back. Fortunately, none of the bounce/roll backs entered the restricted area, nor did they leave the player in a spot where the next throw would enter the restricted area. But it could have happened.

The TD's discussed moving the triple mando so that it would be non-issue, but they really don't have much room to play with.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 01-27-2022, 08:23 PM
Nazanne Nazanne is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This exact scenario happened to me in a casual round yesterday. I made the mando and then hit a tree and the disc bounced back to just barely (a couple inches) in front of what I interpreted to be the mando line extending from the middle of the tree (the widest part). I played it by setting my mini and not worrying about where my backswing went with respect to the mando.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-28-2022, 10:04 AM
BillFleming BillFleming is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona
Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,805
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazanne View Post
This exact scenario happened to me in a casual round yesterday. I made the mando and then hit a tree and the disc bounced back to just barely (a couple inches) in front of what I interpreted to be the mando line extending from the middle of the tree (the widest part). I played it by setting my mini and not worrying about where my backswing went with respect to the mando.
Unfortunately, by the rule...if your disc entered the restricted area during your throw (which includes the propulsion of the disc while it is in your hand) then you should have taken a penalty. Just "not worrying about where [the] backswing went" doesn't make it legal. That's why we are waiting for the clarification of the rule.

802.01.a A throw is the propulsion and release of a disc in order to change its position.

Oxford dictionary: Propulsion: The act of driving or pushing forward

So, when your backswing has completed and the disc is moving forward, it is a throw. If it enters the restricted area...it's a penalty and go to the drop zone or the previous lie....which is the spot you are at.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-29-2022, 12:00 AM
roblee roblee is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 221
Niced 128 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Unfortunately, by the rule...if your disc entered the restricted area during your throw (which includes the propulsion of the disc while it is in your hand) then you should have taken a penalty.
You have mentioned this several times before and it is an interesting interpretation. I don't think there is a rule where the motion of the disc before release can be penalized so this would be a new scenario. Currently, I don't think a "backswing plane break" is a penalty and I'm really interested in what the RC says.
Reply With Quote
 

  #100  
Old 01-29-2022, 12:34 AM
txmxer txmxer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,249
Niced 2,071 Times in 1,069 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee View Post
You have mentioned this several times before and it is an interesting interpretation. I don't think there is a rule where the motion of the disc before release can be penalized so this would be a new scenario. Currently, I don't think a "backswing plane break" is a penalty and I'm really interested in what the RC says.
I think the issue is the spirit of the rule AND the issue that the exact same end point (lie) could require different throws.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is this a missed mando ? araytx Rules Questions & Discussion 108 08-15-2016 09:24 AM
What is your mandatory disc for making mando's? tu-f-o Discs 56 06-11-2014 11:28 PM
Mando or no mando JoakimBL Rules Questions & Discussion 16 05-12-2014 09:45 AM
Drive hits the mando object.. second throw mando? jeverett General Disc Golf Chat 19 02-08-2011 04:17 AM
Quadruple Mando? Cgkdisc Disc Golf Courses 44 07-16-2010 09:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.