Old 01-15-2022, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 55
Niced 177 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
, throw from the drop zone. It may be the only option.
Less confusing is always best.

And maybe better designed holes.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:11 AM

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 42 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Less confusing is always best.

And maybe better designed holes.
I wonder how this change will retroactively affect already designed holes. I've seen a few J/U shaped holes where the metaphorical line would possibly need to be "redefined".
Old 01-17-2022, 10:17 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 743
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,188 Times in 1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndelli View Post
I wonder how this change will retroactively affect already designed holes. I've seen a few J/U shaped holes where the metaphorical line would possibly need to be "redefined".
Anyone who designed a hole like that has presumably figured out they needed to mark their Missed Mando Line so it passed between the tee and the basket to prevent short cuts.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2022, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,071 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
We are working on that clarification.
Any progress on this?
Old 01-27-2022, 04:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 77
Niced 720 Times in 335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Any progress on this?
It is in process. Hopefully soon. (There has been a lot of time spent on this over the last two weeks).

Old 01-27-2022, 06:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
It is in process. Hopefully soon. (There has been a lot of time spent on this over the last two weeks).
Awesome! I was a volunteer at a recent A-tier and discussed this with several players and the TD. There wasn't any consensus on how to handle the situation that we've discussed ("making" the mando, having the disc roll back towards the restricted area and, due to the backswing, having the subsequent throw enter the restricted area). There was a very good chance of this happening during the tournament and luckily it didn't.

For hole 1, there was a triple mando. Shortly past the left leg of the mando, there is a tree. Several players had their disc hit the tree and bounce or roll back. Fortunately, none of the bounce/roll backs entered the restricted area, nor did they leave the player in a spot where the next throw would enter the restricted area. But it could have happened.

The TD's discussed moving the triple mando so that it would be non-issue, but they really don't have much room to play with.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:23 PM

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 59
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

This exact scenario happened to me in a casual round yesterday. I made the mando and then hit a tree and the disc bounced back to just barely (a couple inches) in front of what I interpreted to be the mando line extending from the middle of the tree (the widest part). I played it by setting my mini and not worrying about where my backswing went with respect to the mando.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazanne View Post
This exact scenario happened to me in a casual round yesterday. I made the mando and then hit a tree and the disc bounced back to just barely (a couple inches) in front of what I interpreted to be the mando line extending from the middle of the tree (the widest part). I played it by setting my mini and not worrying about where my backswing went with respect to the mando.
Unfortunately, by the rule...if your disc entered the restricted area during your throw (which includes the propulsion of the disc while it is in your hand) then you should have taken a penalty. Just "not worrying about where [the] backswing went" doesn't make it legal. That's why we are waiting for the clarification of the rule.

802.01.a A throw is the propulsion and release of a disc in order to change its position.

Oxford dictionary: Propulsion: The act of driving or pushing forward

So, when your backswing has completed and the disc is moving forward, it is a throw. If it enters the restricted area...it's a penalty and go to the drop zone or the previous lie....which is the spot you are at.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:00 AM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Unfortunately, by the rule...if your disc entered the restricted area during your throw (which includes the propulsion of the disc while it is in your hand) then you should have taken a penalty.
You have mentioned this several times before and it is an interesting interpretation. I don't think there is a rule where the motion of the disc before release can be penalized so this would be a new scenario. Currently, I don't think a "backswing plane break" is a penalty and I'm really interested in what the RC says.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 2,071 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee View Post
You have mentioned this several times before and it is an interesting interpretation. I don't think there is a rule where the motion of the disc before release can be penalized so this would be a new scenario. Currently, I don't think a "backswing plane break" is a penalty and I'm really interested in what the RC says.
I think the issue is the spirit of the rule AND the issue that the exact same end point (lie) could require different throws.