Old 01-18-2022, 04:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 536
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,113 Times in 556 Posts

as noted by Chuck, its been a labor of love to me. i currently don't charge any money. we probably have close to a 1000 man hours of work put into it, and i self funded the purchase of 20 baskets. I did hit the ace pot last year though, and I put the money right back into the course.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2022, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 116
Niced 527 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger129 View Post
. In today's DG landscape, how likely is it that a truly great course could break even, or be profitable, from entry fees alone?The property is within an hour of a major city that has a well-established disc golf scene.
Zero chance. An hour is actually two hours, round trip. That's a deal breaker.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-18-2022, 06:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,809 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
An hour is actually two hours, round trip. That's a deal breaker.
Slacker. All of the best courses are an hour from my house. Fortunately for me my truck gets nearly 14 mpg so the cost to make a 160 mile round trip is minimal with gas prices what they are right now.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 177 Times in 89 Posts

Museums do really well with a "pay what you want" model. It's kinda amazing that some will just throw a $20 bill in the box and avoid the hassle with change given the option, even if admission would have been $11 otherwise.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 40
Niced 1,019 Times in 401 Posts

Interesting to read the situation in the US.

We have a few profitable and successful standalone courses now over here - a notable one is Quarry Park https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2398 which has members of staff plus the owner on full time. There is a disc shop but no food/retail or other draws.

Gilly's is a new one that opened last year - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12379 and looks like it will have no issues sustaining a full time living as well as growing as a business based on just the footfall plus small disc shop. One of Gilly's best demographic has been grandparents bringing grandchilden that they are babysitting for. Look for the demographics that have time, money and an urge to get people outside away from screens and you should do well!

Both of these are close to urban areas and near large conurbations but set in rural settings. The bread and butter money is not from attracting disc golfers but aimed at people looking for a casual activity. Disc Golfers complain (but then still pay it) at 8 - 12 a round. Families looking for something to do think a family ticket for 20 is great value. If you make your core market disc golfers you may struggle, if you can make your core market casual players with extra income from Disc Golfers you have much more of a chance of doing well.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,290 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterboy View Post
Museums do really well with a "pay what you want" model. It's kinda amazing that some will just throw a $20 bill in the box and avoid the hassle with change given the option, even if admission would have been $11 otherwise.
I think that wouldn't work for disc golf. Museum goers and disc golfers are different groups of folks (although there are some that fit both groups). Most disc golfers I know are of the "disc golf should be free" state of mind. Or at least they want it to be as inexpensive as possible. One park with a course charges less than $5 admission/parking except on one day of the week when it's free....guess when the league has it's rounds. It's not because the club leaders want it that day...it's because they know that is when the majority of players will show up.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 790
Niced 4,082 Times in 2,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterboy View Post
works for them then should work for us
Old 01-19-2022, 10:35 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 177 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I think that wouldn't work for disc golf. Museum goers and disc golfers are different groups of folks (although there are some that fit both groups). Most disc golfers I know are of the "disc golf should be free" state of mind. Or at least they want it to be as inexpensive as possible. One park with a course charges less than $5 admission/parking except on one day of the week when it's free....guess when the league has it's rounds. It's not because the club leaders want it that day...it's because they know that is when the majority of players will show up.
No doubt, yet I note some states have more pay-to-play courses, so it's hard to know how it all plays out.

Free days really draw crowds at museums, too.

The reason I posted is because it is pretty easy to test. If I had a course on private land, I could put up a sign and a donation box at the first tee for very little expense. I strongly suspect that you would get enough money to at least cover the cost of the sign and box.

Museum will often take in more from an exhibition allowing people to give what they want than charging for tickets. It also seems to boost sales of merch and publications. There might be some overlap psychology. It is counter-intuitive in a way.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,371 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
works for them then should work for us
Ha maybe.. We are a notoriously cheap crowd traditionally.

Museum cultural kinda folks seem like a more affluent crowd for say 50 percent plus of attendees, Discgolfers are broke as a joke for 50 percent plus with maybe a 20 percent or less of affluent DG'rs. Look at who puts up money and discs when there's a fundraiser, I think there's 2500+ in the FB group up here and any time there's a fundraiser it's often the same 50/75 people pitching in.

Case in point.. I run a casual doubles tourney, started out with some buddy's looking for somewhere to hide on last day of tourney while the main course was in use. If you played Fri/sat instead of sat/sun dubs at my place for $5. Since it started with 35ish friends I made margaritas, it became tradition for 10yrs, grew to over 115 people, I had to up the entry to $10 to cover the $500 bar tab, a few people bitched about the low payout... Cops were "looking" for the margaritaville open.. Stopped serving "free" margs and attendance dropped 40 people instantly.

I love discers, I love the culture but let's be honest, we're kinda into camping and sleeping in vans and doing it on the cheap. People will pay to bag a course or maybe once or twice a month but a free course will always be crowded.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:46 AM

Years Playing: 1
Niced 15 Times in 7 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=468

Flip city is near me in West Michigan. Its $5 to play and I have been there at all different times and days - usually there are other people playing.

I have a friend who goes there for leagues and which I think is Wednesday night during the summer and its packed.

This course is pretty good and I get the 5 star rating from most people, but its more like the course doesnt have anything wrong with it, not that it is a spectacular course. It does have a few memorable holes but nothing that would make me think this is one of the top 10 courses in the world.

Anyways - its $5 to play and it looks like tens of thousands of dollars flow into Flip City from April to October.