Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-21-2021, 08:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 132 Times in 91 Posts

Reporting back in-- I stopped at a local shop today and was surprised to see some Gateway drivers on the shelf, so I picked up a Blaze to try out. The disc was surprisingly comfy in the hand and the plastic feels pretty good as well (in hyper diamond).

The flight is something I'll have to get used to-- very straight for about 30% of the flight and a hard fade at the end. It's a great disc for spike hyzers and long hyzers on a slightly anhyzer release, but I also realized that I can't really throw long flex shots So I'll be doing some more field work and report back later! Overall, I think it was a good choice though!
Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2022, 03:50 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 32 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgdriver View Post
Is there no FX-2 thread? Really impressed with this disc. I found a 167/168g one. Super impressed after some fieldwork today. Shot it out to about 400' on a low slight-anny release (BH), but it also has these firebird-like characteristics. It's really like a Teebird's big brother in terms of rim and stability. Great on FH ofc too, good distance plus OS.
Bagged a couple FX-2s for a while (400, and 500 plastics) LOVED the flight. But found that if I threw 'em forehand more than 3 or 4 times in a round (which I was. Routinely) they really started doing some serious damage to the top of my pointer finger, where the rim would rub... ultimately swapped back to PDs and Felons.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 83
Niced 273 Times in 194 Posts

I converted to the Anax after all the later runs of PD were flying more like my beefy utility Preds. My 1060s fly much like my 7th run PDs did and are long flying and shapeable.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 334 Times in 196 Posts

Wrath is my main driver. Mine is super beat in, so I can't wait for the restock next month. But, when I want something with more stability in the wind, but a Fireball is too much, I go with a Defy.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:17 AM
Par Member

Niced 179 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendragon View Post
Wrath is my main driver. Mine is super beat in, so I can't wait for the restock next month. But, when I want something with more stability in the wind, but a Fireball is too much, I go with a Defy.
I missed news on the Wrath, but glad to hear. Have converted the bag to MVP over the last year and have wanted to check out the Wrath for a while now. My bag’s mostly neutral with the OS/forehand discs being a Deflector, Fireball, and Defy. Of those, the Fireball’s the trickiest for me, and so taking a tick off might be perfect.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Niced 1,503 Times in 856 Posts

I picked up a Ricky 2x Felon in Orbit (fuzion) plastic. I’d never thrown a Felon. It is really great on flex lines, and I parked a 280’ uphill, late tight gap shot for the second time a few days ago using a flex backhand. Before, I only had hope to reach it with a DD Getaway, but usually hit late guardians.

This Felon goes far, fast, but goes straight to the ground. Point and shoot for low lines. Give it height and about halfway to it’s destination it starts a gradual fade that progressively increases. Spike hyzers are very awesome. Flex forehands are very awesome.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 200 Times in 136 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
Reporting back in-- I stopped at a local shop today and was surprised to see some Gateway drivers on the shelf, so I picked up a Blaze to try out. The disc was surprisingly comfy in the hand and the plastic feels pretty good as well (in hyper diamond).

The flight is something I'll have to get used to-- very straight for about 30% of the flight and a hard fade at the end. It's a great disc for spike hyzers and long hyzers on a slightly anhyzer release, but I also realized that I can't really throw long flex shots So I'll be doing some more field work and report back later! Overall, I think it was a good choice though!
HD Blazes have taken over the overstable Teebird slot for me. They’re not Banshee overstable (and the last few years champ banshees have been bricks) but workable. HD is where it’s at. Wish they made HD Diablos and Sabres. Though, as if I need more plastic.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 790
Niced 4,095 Times in 2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I’m actually kind of monitoring this thread because the Thunderbirds I like have been hard to find. Really interested in an MVP competitor bc I like light (160ish) Thunderbirds and I know MVP does a lot of lightweight stuff
plaz volts and fizz volts

Old 01-19-2022, 10:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 20
Niced 60 Times in 25 Posts

Longbowman and Pioneer.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:39 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 42 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
plaz volts and fizz volts
I have bagged 2-3 thunderbirds for the last few years, and picked up a fission volt for fun. I've got a fairly fresh early run neutron volt too. I could swap either one of them out for my glow champ thunderbird, but neither are as OS as the 2019 Koling's I swap out with a Sexton firebird.

What I wish I could still throw in this slot though is a neutron shock. If MVP ran them one more time I'd find a way to buy at least a dozen, and have all the backups I could need.