Old 01-20-2022, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,819 Times in 923 Posts

I also love to throw speed 9 discs. The 9 and 10 rims just fit my hand better than anything faster or slower. Unfortunately, I just never clicked with the Valkyrie. Not sure if it is me or if the few Ive tried were outliers. The first one I had was fairly understable and kind of squirrelly and very sensitive to power and angles. The next two that I tried were very much like a Thunderbird and that wasnt the spot I was trying to fill.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2022, 12:00 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 191 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
I also love to throw speed 9 discs. The 9 and 10 rims just fit my hand better than anything faster or slower. Unfortunately, I just never clicked with the Valkyrie. Not sure if it is me or if the few Ive tried were outliers. The first one I had was fairly understable and kind of squirrelly and very sensitive to power and angles. The next two that I tried were very much like a Thunderbird and that wasnt the spot I was trying to fill.
I didnt really care for the valk until I got champ ones. Ive definitely seen a variety of stabilities in it but the halo is close to the most overstable champs Ive thrown and I would rate it -1/1 @ 340-370 - star/champ thunderbirds fly very true to numbers for me (0/2) at that distance.

I was surprised that the halos are not as domey in this mold as what I have seen in wraiths and destroyers.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:35 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 31
Niced 66 Times in 44 Posts

Had 1 Star and have 1 I-dye Champ and just can't throw them. I could try a light DX at some point I guess.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:26 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedFlipCurves View Post
Had 1 Star and have 1 I-dye Champ and just can't throw them. I could try a light DX at some point I guess.
How far could you get the star? A DX valk is a very big step down. If you're on these forums, I'd likely suggest a pro valk. A pro valk is a good 1-2 notches less stable than a Star. At Midwest elevation most pro valks gets a pretty full S flight at even 300'. (If they're not super fresh with flashing or anything.)

In most discs, gstar is between star and pro. In my experience with valks though, gstar valks and star valks basically fly the same. The gstar valks just seem to mold up with a high PLH. At Midwest elevation star and gstar Valkyries generally get a full S flight at about 350' of distance for me.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:56 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 182 Times in 99 Posts

Dx valks are really flippy. Like a -4 turn disc.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:53 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 55 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedFlipCurves View Post
I own more than a few Valks and have thrown multiples in every plastic except Glow. Without a doubt Gstar is the most consistent to flight numbers -2/-2, though it is a slightly faster disc. Pro is also consistent to start with but gets flippy much faster.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_Rankin View Post
I own more than a few Valks and have thrown multiples in every plastic except Glow. Without a doubt Gstar is the most consistent to flight numbers -2/-2, though it is a slightly faster disc. Pro is also consistent to start with but gets flippy much faster.
I personally think most Valks are pretty true to that -2/2 flight, but that the more stable ones require a faster throw and more distance to get their pretty S-flight. Dx is definitely an outlier; it likely gets that -2/2 flight at 200-250' for most folks. Pro can start showing the S-flight at 300'. GStar and some Star can show it sometimes at 325', but usually more of a full S-flight at 350'. And champion can be much stiffer. Some of those older, stiff I-dye ones are stable enough that I can't get an S-flight out of them, but I'm not pushing them 400' (I don't really push anything 400' myself).

Valks are definitely a mold that exaggerates the inconsistencies from disc-to-disc. Something a bit slower and stubbier like a Teebird is a lot more consistent (although still has that Dx->GStar->Star->Champion progression).
Old 01-23-2022, 09:53 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamoor View Post
I personally think most Valks are pretty true to that -2/2 flight, but that the more stable ones require a faster throw and more distance to get their pretty S-flight. Dx is definitely an outlier; it likely gets that -2/2 flight at 200-250' for most folks. Pro can start showing the S-flight at 300'. GStar and some Star can show it sometimes at 325', but usually more of a full S-flight at 350'. And champion can be much stiffer. Some of those older, stiff I-dye ones are stable enough that I can't get an S-flight out of them, but I'm not pushing them 400' (I don't really push anything 400' myself).

Valks are definitely a mold that exaggerates the inconsistencies from disc-to-disc. Something a bit slower and stubbier like a Teebird is a lot more consistent (although still has that Dx->GStar->Star->Champion progression).
I agree with this. Discs fly differently at different speeds of course, and the Valk readily demonstrates this point. For people who are throwing theirs in the 300-360' range a fresh GStar will most readily mimic the flight numbers. But for me beyond that distance I'm giving Champion some slight anny release to get the S-shape. I still can't get a Champion Thunderbird out beyond that distance but they're not far behind which speaks to crazy stability of Champ Valks.

GStar is my furthest flying Valk so far followed by Star/Pro. I've actually gotten it out to 400' once and feel like it could be repeatable if I had a more consistent release. I've never beaten in a Star enough to change the flight characteristics much but I would like to see it get to the fresh GStar phase and then stay there. Funny I'm not even bagging a Valk right now but I do field work with them all the time.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:54 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 31
Niced 66 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamoor View Post
How far could you get the star? A DX valk is a very big step down. If you're on these forums, I'd likely suggest a pro valk. A pro valk is a good 1-2 notches less stable than a Star. At Midwest elevation most pro valks gets a pretty full S flight at even 300'. (If they're not super fresh with flashing or anything.)

In most discs, gstar is between star and pro. In my experience with valks though, gstar valks and star valks basically fly the same. The gstar valks just seem to mold up with a high PLH. At Midwest elevation star and gstar Valkyries generally get a full S flight at about 350' of distance for me.
My distance is laughable. So DX it is.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:03 AM
Bogey Member

It might be criminal that I'm not bagging this Champ Valk lately.

Last edited by Neil_Rankin; 01-23-2022 at 10:07 AM.