Old 01-20-2022, 04:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,810 Times in 921 Posts
Default Eliminating speed 7 discs from my game?

Ill preface this by saying that I used to learn heavily on speed 7 discs.

Lately Ive found that they dont come out of my bag all that often.

Shots where I would have thrown an FD or Crave or Teebird or something similar in the past seem to be replaced with either a powered up mid or a powered down speed 9 disc. I love throwing putters and mids and I love the way a 9 speed rim feels in my hand.

Does anyone else jump gaps like that or am I just crazy and its going to wreck my scores?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2022, 04:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

I'm not good enough (yet) to have discs of all speeds. I just carry what works for me. If 7 speeds "aren't working" for you now...leave them out. And they don't seem to be working for you since you aren't throwing them. That's how I build my bag...if I don't throw it....it doesn't take up space in my bag and that reduces the weight of my bag.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,484 Times in 847 Posts

No 7 speeds? Thats like like like always skipping hole 7 on a course!

If you just said youre eliminating discs you dont use, then Id understand.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 236 Times in 122 Posts

Do what works for you. I used to carry a lot of 7 speed discs (2 FDs, 3 teebirds and a banshee). But, like you, I really like 9 speeds and mids. I do still carry an FD and an FD2. The 7 speed is better for me powered down than a full power mid when there is a low ceiling. I would also rather throw a 7 speed than a powered down roadrunner or PD if I want less ground play. I don't think that I could take the FD out of my bag, but can easily play a round without my FD2. But, there are times that it is just the disc that I want so for that reason it stays in the bag.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:53 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 65
Niced 55 Times in 26 Posts

I definitely haven't eliminated 7 speeds from my game but I'll definitely have rounds where they stay in the bag the whole day, cause I'm throwing my 9 speed or mid off the tee and A2 and putter to get close and that's it.

Of course I'll also have rounds on some courses where my Leopard3 is the highest speed I'll use all day...

Old 01-20-2022, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer Ale View Post
The 7 speed is better for me powered down than a full power mid when there is a low ceiling.
A low ceiling straight shot is one scenario where a Crave or FD comes in handy for sure. Around here there just arent many courses that require such a shot.

The other shot that I do like the neutral to understable speed 7 is where you are forced to throw a standstill and its a little too long to standstill a midrange.

Now Im second guessing myself and maybe I should keep one or two in the bag just in case.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I'm not good enough (yet) to have discs of all speeds. I just carry what works for me. If 7 speeds "aren't working" for you now...leave them out. And they don't seem to be working for you since you aren't throwing them. That's how I build my bag...if I don't throw it....it doesn't take up space in my bag and that reduces the weight of my bag.

It isnt really that the 7 speeds arent working for me so much as I just dont find myself in situations out on the course where reaching for them seems like the preferred option.

I do tend to throw them quite a bit up in the mountains but its sort of rare lately that Im playing the mountain courses.

Ive always carried a bag that I could pretty much use to play any course. Maybe I should start moving discs in and out depending on the course that I intend to play?

Old 01-20-2022, 05:48 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 710 Times in 333 Posts

It completely depends on your gaps. I throw Teebird - Orc - Grym. If you prefer Thunderbirds or PDs, then of course you would ditch the 7 speed slot, it would overlap. I would also bet you wouldn't find the speed 10 slot useful either, and would probably go up to a wraith or other speed 11.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 278
Niced 463 Times in 192 Posts

I think if you can cover the shots you need with fewer discs, then taking them out of the bag helps your decision making on the course. Too much overlap leads to doubting yourself. If you really can confidently power up or power down other discs to cover, do it. It forces you to play better. And if it's only rarely that you find yourself reaching for that disc you no longer bag, you'll get by. And it won't really show up in your scores.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Ive always carried a bag that I could pretty much use to play any course. Maybe I should start moving discs in and out depending on the course that I intend to play?
That's what I do. But if I'm going to play a new course or a tournament, I will take what I think I might need. Then if I play more than one round, I will take the discs I didn't use out of my bag. At 62, I prefer as light of a bag as possible.

Niced: (3)