Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-12-2021, 02:27 PM

Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Tall lanky disc golfers, what have you discovered about your form? Any tips?

Tall lanky disc golfers, apparently we have the long-levered physics advantage, but I also feel that we have more room for error as our entire motion takes more space. It's tough to be compact. What are some things you have done to counter/take advantage of your lankiness, if anything?

Sometimes I wish I was stocky 5'6 so I can learn a compact powerful form and then return to my original build (6'3 180). I'm plateauing a bit right now around 375-400 max (besides the "griplock" bombs I posted about a while ago) and I'm still looking for the sauce. I feel like I can hit 375-400 in spite of my form, not because of it. I'm tall, athletic, and I have thrown a lot of frisbees in my day. I can make a disc move. But I'm still feeling clumsy and inconsistent. I know some would love to hit 400, but I feel disappointed by it. First-world problems? I just know there's more in the tank that I'm not using consistently and its frustrating. I often feel like I have too much moving at once, I'm not compact enough, and I'm not consistently using my long-levered "advantage". I have a theory that tall lanky folk have more room for error because of the space our motion takes up. Maybe I'm just making up an excuse :-).

Tall lanky disc golfers, what are some things you have discovered about being tall and lanky throwin discs? If anything, is there anything you've done to fix/improve/take advantage of your lanky-limbed Gumby motion?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Par Member

Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts

I think one of the things that became apparent compared to my shorter/stockier friends, is that we can get far more out of slower rotation due to the longer arms. That is we can rotate slower to get equivalent speed at the end of our arms as someone with shorter arms. Being slower eases the timing windows/ learning rhythm without as much penalty I feel.

I think where the problems come in is the lower body and the cliche clumsy giraffe legs. Just like anyone, we need to focus on the ground up portion otherwise the upstairs advantages can't be put into play as much as we want.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:23 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 411 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisdudeness47 View Post
Tall lanky disc golfers, apparently we have the long-levered physics advantage, but I also feel that we have more room for error as our entire motion takes more space. It's tough to be compact. What are some things you have done to counter/take advantage of your lankiness, if anything?

Sometimes I wish I was stocky 5'6 so I can learn a compact powerful form and then return to my original build (6'3 180). I'm plateauing a bit right now around 375-400 max (besides the "griplock" bombs I posted about a while ago) and I'm still looking for the sauce. I feel like I can hit 375-400 in spite of my form, not because of it. I'm tall, athletic, and I have thrown a lot of frisbees in my day. I can make a disc move. But I'm still feeling clumsy and inconsistent. I know some would love to hit 400, but I feel disappointed by it. First-world problems? I just know there's more in the tank that I'm not using consistently and its frustrating. I often feel like I have too much moving at once, I'm not compact enough, and I'm not consistently using my long-levered "advantage". I have a theory that tall lanky folk have more room for error because of the space our motion takes up. Maybe I'm just making up an excuse :-).

Tall lanky disc golfers, what are some things you have discovered about being tall and lanky throwin discs? If anything, is there anything you've done to fix/improve/take advantage of your lanky-limbed Gumby motion?
This sounds weird to me. Just learn it as a 6'3" guy. Best suggestion would be to study guys like Calvin or Eagle and try to emulate what they do.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,719 Times in 771 Posts

This might be the first time in the history of the universe that someone wished they were shorty and stocky.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2021, 07:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Niced 1,484 Times in 847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
This might be the first time in the history of the universe that someone wished they were shorty and stocky.
Finally. I wins something.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:09 PM

Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
This sounds weird to me. Just learn it as a 6'3" guy. Best suggestion would be to study guys like Calvin or Eagle and try to emulate what they do.
I mean yea, its a joke and I can't actually become 5'6 and I wouldn't want to. Essentially I'm just wanting to be more compact and consistent without limbs going god knows where.

Last edited by hisdudeness47; 12-12-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:58 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 213
Niced 1,818 Times in 756 Posts

6'6" at 200lb

I find that my height is more useful for things other than distance. My athleticism is what drives my distance (450ish consistently) My height helps more when off the fairway and times when I need to stretch out. Thankfully I'm pretty flexible and work on that daily to keep it for this specific advantage. I wish I could tell you there was some trick to being able to throw far when you are tall but really it can just add a bit to an already good athletic base. I dont worry about staying compact or anything. I just throw.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:01 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 411 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisdudeness47 View Post
I mean yea, its a joke and I can't actually become 5'6 and I wouldn't want to. Essentially I'm just wanting to be more compact and consistent without limbs going god knows where.
It seems that's not a function of height but form.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

6'1", 189 pounds, 62 years old, playing almost 3 years.

I've found that it's not about my height, weight, etc. It's all in the timing. Your timing has to be 'spot on'. If the timing of everything isn't on, then you aren't going to get the distance, consistency, or accuracy. My arm speed is 42 mph. For me, a walk-up is the best I can do. If I try to do a run-up, my timing gets off and the disc rarely goes where I want it to...and I lose accuracy. Find the timing where your movements all match up for consistency. That's your 'sweet spot'. Now go to a field and practice adding speed to the movements....don't try to go 'all out'. Find the tempo that works for you. Ultimately, you may only get "375-400" max....but that max distance will become more accurate and consistent.

My max (with a 7 speed) is 250ish....but, unlike you and others, I'm happy with that. I know I don't have a fast arm speed and might never have one. For now, I'm working on my throws being the most precise they can be. And what I found while doing that, is that my distance is increasing a bit - the other day, I threw my tee shot longer than I've ever gotten before and it was on the line that I planned - even my playing partner was surprised.

Niced: (2)

Old 12-13-2021, 10:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,810 Times in 921 Posts

I would love to have some of that tall lankiness to add to my game.

Fortunately for me the Garret Gurthie’s, Drew Gibson’s, and even the Emerson Kieth’s of the world give me hope that I don’t really need it.

Niced: (1)