Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-12-2021, 02:27 PM
hisdudeness47 hisdudeness47 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 35
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Tall lanky disc golfers, what have you discovered about your form? Any tips?

Tall lanky disc golfers, apparently we have the long-levered physics advantage, but I also feel that we have more room for error as our entire motion takes more space. It's tough to be compact. What are some things you have done to counter/take advantage of your lankiness, if anything?

Sometimes I wish I was stocky 5'6 so I can learn a compact powerful form and then return to my original build (6'3 180). I'm plateauing a bit right now around 375-400 max (besides the "griplock" bombs I posted about a while ago) and I'm still looking for the sauce. I feel like I can hit 375-400 in spite of my form, not because of it. I'm tall, athletic, and I have thrown a lot of frisbees in my day. I can make a disc move. But I'm still feeling clumsy and inconsistent. I know some would love to hit 400, but I feel disappointed by it. First-world problems? I just know there's more in the tank that I'm not using consistently and its frustrating. I often feel like I have too much moving at once, I'm not compact enough, and I'm not consistently using my long-levered "advantage". I have a theory that tall lanky folk have more room for error because of the space our motion takes up. Maybe I'm just making up an excuse :-).

Tall lanky disc golfers, what are some things you have discovered about being tall and lanky throwin discs? If anything, is there anything you've done to fix/improve/take advantage of your lanky-limbed Gumby motion?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2021, 06:08 PM
BruisedOoze BruisedOoze is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 101
Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts
Default

I think one of the things that became apparent compared to my shorter/stockier friends, is that we can get far more out of slower rotation due to the longer arms. That is we can rotate slower to get equivalent speed at the end of our arms as someone with shorter arms. Being slower eases the timing windows/ learning rhythm without as much penalty I feel.

I think where the problems come in is the lower body and the cliche clumsy giraffe legs. Just like anyone, we need to focus on the ground up portion otherwise the upstairs advantages can't be put into play as much as we want.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2021, 06:23 PM
foxdawg10 foxdawg10 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 566
Niced 411 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisdudeness47 View Post
Tall lanky disc golfers, apparently we have the long-levered physics advantage, but I also feel that we have more room for error as our entire motion takes more space. It's tough to be compact. What are some things you have done to counter/take advantage of your lankiness, if anything?

Sometimes I wish I was stocky 5'6 so I can learn a compact powerful form and then return to my original build (6'3 180). I'm plateauing a bit right now around 375-400 max (besides the "griplock" bombs I posted about a while ago) and I'm still looking for the sauce. I feel like I can hit 375-400 in spite of my form, not because of it. I'm tall, athletic, and I have thrown a lot of frisbees in my day. I can make a disc move. But I'm still feeling clumsy and inconsistent. I know some would love to hit 400, but I feel disappointed by it. First-world problems? I just know there's more in the tank that I'm not using consistently and its frustrating. I often feel like I have too much moving at once, I'm not compact enough, and I'm not consistently using my long-levered "advantage". I have a theory that tall lanky folk have more room for error because of the space our motion takes up. Maybe I'm just making up an excuse :-).

Tall lanky disc golfers, what are some things you have discovered about being tall and lanky throwin discs? If anything, is there anything you've done to fix/improve/take advantage of your lanky-limbed Gumby motion?
This sounds weird to me. Just learn it as a 6'3" guy. Best suggestion would be to study guys like Calvin or Eagle and try to emulate what they do.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2021, 07:13 PM
autocrosscrx autocrosscrx is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,567
Niced 1,719 Times in 771 Posts
Default

This might be the first time in the history of the universe that someone wished they were shorty and stocky.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2021, 07:42 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,511
Niced 1,484 Times in 847 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
This might be the first time in the history of the universe that someone wished they were shorty and stocky.
Finally. I wins something.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-12-2021, 09:09 PM
hisdudeness47 hisdudeness47 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 35
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
This sounds weird to me. Just learn it as a 6'3" guy. Best suggestion would be to study guys like Calvin or Eagle and try to emulate what they do.
I mean yea, its a joke and I can't actually become 5'6 and I wouldn't want to. Essentially I'm just wanting to be more compact and consistent without limbs going god knows where.

Last edited by hisdudeness47; 12-12-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2021, 09:58 PM
Horsman's Avatar
Horsman Horsman is offline
Pandamonium Discs
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,006
Niced 1,818 Times in 756 Posts
Default

6'6" at 200lb

I find that my height is more useful for things other than distance. My athleticism is what drives my distance (450ish consistently) My height helps more when off the fairway and times when I need to stretch out. Thankfully I'm pretty flexible and work on that daily to keep it for this specific advantage. I wish I could tell you there was some trick to being able to throw far when you are tall but really it can just add a bit to an already good athletic base. I dont worry about staying compact or anything. I just throw.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-12-2021, 10:01 PM
foxdawg10 foxdawg10 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 566
Niced 411 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisdudeness47 View Post
I mean yea, its a joke and I can't actually become 5'6 and I wouldn't want to. Essentially I'm just wanting to be more compact and consistent without limbs going god knows where.
It seems that's not a function of height but form.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-13-2021, 09:52 AM
BillFleming BillFleming is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona
Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,805
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts
Default

6'1", 189 pounds, 62 years old, playing almost 3 years.

I've found that it's not about my height, weight, etc. It's all in the timing. Your timing has to be 'spot on'. If the timing of everything isn't on, then you aren't going to get the distance, consistency, or accuracy. My arm speed is 42 mph. For me, a walk-up is the best I can do. If I try to do a run-up, my timing gets off and the disc rarely goes where I want it to...and I lose accuracy. Find the timing where your movements all match up for consistency. That's your 'sweet spot'. Now go to a field and practice adding speed to the movements....don't try to go 'all out'. Find the tempo that works for you. Ultimately, you may only get "375-400" max....but that max distance will become more accurate and consistent.

My max (with a 7 speed) is 250ish....but, unlike you and others, I'm happy with that. I know I don't have a fast arm speed and might never have one. For now, I'm working on my throws being the most precise they can be. And what I found while doing that, is that my distance is increasing a bit - the other day, I threw my tee shot longer than I've ever gotten before and it was on the line that I planned - even my playing partner was surprised.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 12-13-2021, 10:24 AM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,997
Niced 1,810 Times in 921 Posts
Default

I would love to have some of that tall lankiness to add to my game.

Fortunately for me the Garret Gurthie’s, Drew Gibson’s, and even the Emerson Kieth’s of the world give me hope that I don’t really need it.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your top 5 men’s golfers for bh FORM seedlings General Disc Golf Chat 59 07-20-2021 08:17 AM
Any tips on my form? BaTT Form Analysis/Critique 2 05-03-2021 03:35 AM
Form comparison 2017-2020 and form tips needed! Scraping Micha Form Analysis/Critique 5 03-30-2020 11:54 AM
Tips to avoid losing your disc - Tips to find/retrieve your disc. leppard General Disc Golf Chat 47 11-24-2017 03:22 PM
Just discovered Disc Golf, very humbled by this game toddy74 General Disc Golf Chat 72 10-25-2012 10:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.