Old 11-30-2021, 02:54 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,410 Times in 2,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Molds have to be cut with a plastic in mind. All plastics shrink at different rates, and the mold needs to be cut accordingly to compensate.
But..

They sell discs from all the different plastics out of the same mold. So how could say the Destroyer mold have been made specifically to make Champion plastic discs when they sell them in Star, Pro, DX, etc.? They know when they mold a disc that it's going to be sold in a bunch of different plastics.

Basically this thread makes no sense to me. I've always assumed that they design molds to flight characteristics and then know enough about the plastics and molding process to be able to make tweaks as they need to in order to adapt to the plastics they are using. I mean, it's Innova. They have molded up a golf disc or two.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2021, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,120 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
But..

They sell discs from all the different plastics out of the same mold. So how could say the Destroyer mold have been made specifically to make Champion plastic discs when they sell them in Star, Pro, DX, etc.? They know when they mold a disc that it's going to be sold in a bunch of different plastics.

Basically this thread makes no sense to me. I've always assumed that they design molds to flight characteristics and then know enough about the plastics and molding process to be able to make tweaks as they need to in order to adapt to the plastics they are using. I mean, it's Innova. They have molded up a golf disc or two.
I’ve always of it this way too?
Old 11-30-2021, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 2,945 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
But..

But this also explains why a champ destroyer and a dx fly very different. Or, they can average out those shrink values too and try and make a happy middle ground.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:37 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 6,410 Times in 2,130 Posts

Quote:
But this also explains why a champ destroyer and a dx fly very different. Or, they can average out those shrink values too and try and make a happy middle ground.
I don't know, man. I mean I think DX is a plastic they have always made, and it shrinks. Champ doesn't shrink, so when you look at a DX Destroyer and a Champ Destroyer, the Champ will always have a slightly larger diameter and the nose will be blunter due to that plastic packing out the mold vs. DX shrinking. I don't think Innova is really trying to do anything about that; it is what it is. The "middle ground" would be Star or Pro; all of the plastics mold up slightly differently and fly differently. I think we are just supposed to accept that and go on with our day.

It's like Leopards; I can take a max weight DX Leopard out of the box and turn it over. No beating it in or anything, you can just turn one. I have a 165g Champ Leopard in my bag and after throwing it all summer I still can't get it to turn. I have to beat the snot out of light Champ Leopards to get them to turn. They are essentially different discs IMO. The properties of the plastics make the discs turn out vastly differently. It is what it is.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Niced 1,483 Times in 846 Posts

There is one mold. Different plastics are pressed into the one mold to produce champ, pro, dx, etc. There is not a champ destroyer mold, and a dx destroyer mold, and a pro destroyer mold, and a Star destroyer mold, and a Gstar destroyer mold.

Change my mind.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
There is one mold. Different plastics are pressed into the one mold to produce champ, pro, dx, etc. There is not a champ destroyer mold, and a dx destroyer mold, and a pro destroyer mold, and a Star destroyer mold, and a Gstar destroyer mold.

Change my mind.

Does anyone think there are multiple molds? I don't think I've seen that argued.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Niced 1,483 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone think there are multiple molds? I don't think I've seen that argued.
I must have misunderstood this:

Quote:
Molds have to be cut with a plastic in mind. All plastics shrink at different rates, and the mold needs to be cut accordingly to compensate.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 184
Niced 889 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
In the real world, yeah, you need to produce parts within acceptable tolerances, but these are frisbees. Ever see a hippie with a set of calipers?
Old 11-30-2021, 06:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 717 Times in 426 Posts

one mold to rule then all.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
I must have misunderstood this:
Right. What I had meant was that the shrinkage of the plastic has to be taken into account to make a mold correctly. With running multiple plastic types in one mold, they use some kind of average or set it for one type and deal with the rest. The shrink factors are also probably not *that* much different for most blends for it to matter immensely. Especially since, as someone pointed out, these are frisbees, not medical devices or rocket ship parts.