Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 186 Times in 117 Posts
Default Backhand: Reach Back vs "Moving Around the Disc" (McBeth Style)

So I want to be able to throw as far & accurate as I possibly can (like everyone) & I'm having problems deciding which technique to use backhand. In the Ask McBeth thread I noticed McBeth said he doesn't reach back in the traditional way but rather keeps the disc in the same spot & moves around the disc until his arm is extended which it then looks like a regular reach back. Paul posted a slow motion video of himself doing it in his thread showing this motion I described (pretty sure its on YouTube also). Which is more consistent & which is better for achieving max distance (Traditional reach back or McBeths way)?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

IDK, but I know I'm going to try the McBeth style. I have alway felt that once you learn the basic technique of any sport or game. The rest is up to what works for your body design and ability. Example: I push putt with a straddle stance, but My lft foot is about 6" behind my right (imaginary line from toes). For me, I feel like I get a better push off from the ground. Most people I know keep both feet in "line" with each other.
So I'm going to try the "McBeth style" and see what happens. Problem is, it might work for me, but will it for you?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,974 Times in 4,022 Posts

The term "reachback" should be eliminated. Backswing is much more appropriate especially from a standstill. When you start adding steps to a proper backswing, the arm/disc doesn't really move, the body moves around the arm/disc and loads. All good players do this. McBeth, Feldy and Barry Shultz have a more pronounced forward press/pre-swing than most players and then start the backswing and work around it, which is also what I do. McBeth has a little more of a hitch at the top of the backswing than Feldy and Barry who are a little smoother.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 76
Niced 186 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
The term "reachback" should be eliminated. Backswing is much more appropriate especially from a standstill. When you start adding steps to a proper backswing, the arm/disc doesn't really move, the body moves around the arm/disc and loads. All good players do this. McBeth, Feldy and Barry Shultz have a more pronounced forward press/pre-swing than most players and then start the backswing and work around it, which is also what I do. McBeth has a little more of a hitch at the top of the backswing than Feldy and Barry who are a little smoother.
Thanks for the info. Can you get more detailed please? Why isn't this concept pushed more in instructional videos? Unrelated topic...what's your max d backhand?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 590 Times in 324 Posts

I've recently minimized my style, eliminating the fancy footwork and focussing on the rip through and snap, and I haven't sacrificed much distance, if any, and my accuracy has increased by a lot.

When i try to reach back like Will, I turn and burn almost every time.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 30 Times in 24 Posts

You made me go look at this when I should be working, so now you have to watch the youtubes I watched. I don't know what to say about Paul. Will has a massive reachback. I love the way Dave's runup sets up his release.

PAUL

WILL

DAVE

Side By Sides

Last edited by DG_Before_Breakfast; 06-26-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 267 Times in 102 Posts

I have been contemplating this a lot this season as i have been attempting to rebuild my backhand a bit. I get power easier with a longer reach back but throw more accurately when i reach away from my body and then pull tight to my body as i enter the throwing zone. Barry Schultz, mentioned above, is probably the best example of this (one of the most accurate backhands on the planet). Right now its a trade off as i haven't figured out how to generate the same power this way, but i'm working on it.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 267 Times in 102 Posts

couldn't find a great slow mo of barry, this one is ok:

Barry throws at 1:00
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,974 Times in 4,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you get more detailed please? Why isn't this concept pushed more in instructional videos? Unrelated topic...what's your max d backhand?
Actually Will unfolds his lower arm instead of swinging it back, so to him it might be more of a true reachback, but the shoulders and body are still more like a backswing. The way he does it makes it harder to time, but he gets a little extra bounce at the top for more power.

I know Feldy has been preaching working around the disc for at least the past few years in clinics. This is a little more in-depth description:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...p?f=17&t=24009

This was 450' and easily repeatable:

Last edited by sidewinder22; 06-09-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Before_Breakfast View Post
You made me go look at this when I should be working, so now you have to watch the youtubes I watched. I don't know what to say about Paul. Will has a massive reachback. I love the way Dave's runup sets up his release.

WILL

watch will's disc from the 14 second mark to the 16 second mark. It stays in the same spot in the frame while his body/arm moves into position.

This is actually a very specific point i use when teaching beginners how to drive. I actually hold there disc stationary and as tight as i can with one hand while they hold it and do their steps with without the disc moving. By the time their plant foot is down and loaded ready to pivot, their arm is at the proper reach back position without the disc moving an inch from when they started the first step.

hope that makes sense. Maybe i'll get a video of that next week.