Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Get Out of Trouble Shots

Everyone seems to spend so much time working on driving BH/FH and putting but there is little talk about get out of trouble shots. I'm trying to round out my game a little bit and work a little on the out of the ordinary techniques that can help shave off strokes when you get into trouble.

One of my new favorites that I'm working on now is the touch overhand roller shot as it totally saved par twice in my last tournament. It works great when you are in the trees unable to go up and over but no direct path to the basket as its protected by those trees. I've been trying to work on my overhand thumbers and tomahawk throws to get up and over but I have not had luck with accuracy lately.

What else do you guys use to get out of trouble and any advice to help learn them? Overhands like tomahawks, thumbers, overhand rollers, sidearm flick putts, half lids and anything else you can think of is up for discussion. Talk about the shot and when and why you use it.

Hopefully we can get enough discussion going that it can help a lot of people find some shots they never even thought about to work on to save strokes when that drive or approach shot doesn't go right where you wanted it to. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2015, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

Putter flicks on flat/anny/hyzer from <100'. I feel if I can do those angles with that disc, then I can use an OS mid or utility disc to hit the different lines on the same power/angle and not ever worry about it. Really good for getting out from behind something and it either has to hold the line (putter) or S-out (Firebird or the like). For example you want a short sweep hyzer backhand, but the tree is in your way, so reach out and do the putter anny flick to follow the same line all the way to the ground.

I like the "half power thumber" type shot to pitch out from 40-80' over a bush/through a high opening where it pops out, flips onto its back, and lands on its top without any crazy bounces or distance. An OS slow disc is great for this (Verdict for me) that you don't have to kill with speed, but still turns slow enough that it only gets onto its top.

I need to work on FH rollers, those are the best line in the worst of situations. I have never had one save me yet though, even though I can see the line it should take.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 68
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Short forehand rollers and forehand putter air shots are both indispensable. I also use grenades occasionally, where you throw a driver with spike hyzer form but the disc is upside-down.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

Also practice throwing the disc under obstacles upside down comes in handy every once in awhile.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,561 Posts

Any forehand/flick counts for me. Mine is so bad that I only use it in desperation.

But, yeah, forehand rollers are the big one.

Nobody practices them, but fortunately, and unfortunately, I get a lot of opportunity to work on my get-out-of-trouble shots during the round. I hate to admit that my forehand is getting better because my backhand is getting worse.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts

I throw alot of grenades. If there is a straight line to the basket in the canopy its a great shot. Hit and stick, easy to range.

I cant throw a tomahawk besides a "pancake". Throwing it so it slides on its face. Dont use it frequently. Need to practice throwing a air tomahawk, seems like they go further OH then thumbers, plus end left instead.

I like throwing rollers.. Alot of problems can be solved with a nice sidearm or bh roller.

You can do some magic with a sonic to get out of trouble. I havent bought one yet, just see a friend use it.

Also a super duper beat to crap disc that you can hyzer flip to turnover from a awkward stance.

Thumbers. I use em, usually for a skip shot, but sometimes in the air. Im not to bad at them.. Prolly throw it about 250 so pretty useful.

Having a 50 ft turbo putt is pretty useful in the rough around a basket. To make a putt or even just to layup. Also not a skill i have but have seen. Im practicing it though.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 68
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Also, learning to putt from a knee can shave strokes in wooded courses with greenery about the basket.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think get out of trouble shots are really hard to practice or quantify. You never know what you might need to try, when, or how that will come up in competitive play. The only real way to practice getting out of trouble is to get into a lot of trouble and see what works.

I use thumbers, tomahawks, pancakes, scoobies, forehand rollers, backhand cut rollers, step out sidearms, spike hyzers with stupid flippy discs, and probably more. I think the more you play in heavy woods the more shots you learn.

I love my tomahawk putt. It basically works the same way as a turbo putt, but I suck at those. I can, and have, canned some pretty crazy blind over the top 30-40 footers with a putter tomahawk.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 86 Times in 32 Posts

I've used turbo putts to get over obstacles. Sliding a viper or putter upside down when I'm under a tree. Skip a viper or hydra to get around trees. All kinds of forehand shots to get the disc to move to the right. I'll try just about anything when a backhand isn't the best shot. Also sometimes its better to take your lumps and get back to the fairway than add more strokes by trying and missing an experimental shot.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I find I can be way more accurate with a thumber than I can any other shot. I think that is a combination of knowing my disc really well and having thrown a bunch of thumbers. It is just like throwing a baseball.