Old 01-07-2018, 06:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,119 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
The best Sidewinder I ever threw was a first run champion (with the tiny star stamp on it). It would pop up flat and soar. It had some definite high speed turn, but wouldn't flip all the way over. The SWs these days seem to be flippier. I throw them hard and they turn and burn.

I haven't thrown the mold in a long, long time. At the time it was probably my longest driver due to the sheer amount of glide it had. 400' wasn't all that hard to do.
the first runs and early runs were absolute beauty.

i havent throw a sw in a handful of years, since i had that big blow out with innova and their horrid customer service. the gstarrr was the closest thing recently to the FR and early runs.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Luster sidewinders are molding up awesome. Identical shape to my stack of 05 Christmas star sidewinders. Perfect sidewinder flight too.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:03 AM
Par Member

Niced 25 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
do you have pics of the sw?
I can snap a side by side plh comparison and a stamp view.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 550 Times in 354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
the first runs and early runs were absolute beauty.

i havent throw a sw in a handful of years, since i had that big blow out with innova and their horrid customer service. the gstarrr was the closest thing recently to the FR and early runs.
What's the deal with your spelling of GStar?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

On a scale of 1 to silly, just how foolhardy would it be for me to seek out a champ sidewinder as a disc to throw for distance through a side wind? I understand that typically one would think more of a thunderbird-type stability for this. However, say I'm already bagging stable fairways and want something with very little lateral movement to avoid exposing the underside of the flightplate. Am I completely off base? Would a sidewinder just get blown around no matter what?

Keep in mind I'm a noodle arm which is why my mind goes to the champ SW when I think max distance in a straight line with a little bit of fade, without the monster glide of a river/saint/FD/whatever.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 736 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
On a scale of 1 to silly, just how foolhardy would it be for me to seek out a champ sidewinder as a disc to throw for distance through a side wind? I understand that typically one would think more of a thunderbird-type stability for this. However, say I'm already bagging stable fairways and want something with very little lateral movement to avoid exposing the underside of the flightplate. Am I completely off base? Would a sidewinder just get blown around no matter what?

Keep in mind I'm a noodle arm which is why my mind goes to the champ SW when I think max distance in a straight line with a little bit of fade, without the monster glide of a river/saint/FD/whatever.
A heavy champion or star Sidewinder could probably do OK in side winds. I wouldn't mess with anything lightweight though. It also depends how strong of wind you're talking. If its heavy wind, forget about the Sidewinder. It'll get tossed around bad.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,263 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:

You can get a Champ Sidewinder for "normal" conditions, and try it in the sidewinds. If it doesn't work, then maybe one of those Star Valkyries might work better, and so on... and you have your Sidewinder for other conditions...

Niced: (1)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:

Generally in the wind, ask yourself what the disc would do if you could throw harder. Applying to head or left to right crosswind for RHBH. So say it's a moderate wind, then ask "if I could throw 30' farther would this disc turn more?". Something like a Thunderbird won't really turn much more, but a Sidewinder likely would. So a Thunderbird would handle wind a bit more consistently whereas a Sidewinder would start to show its intended characteristics.

That being said some champ SW are pretty stable and will drift and probably come back if it's mild-moderate wind and you don't throw super hard. But I would expect it to interact a lot more with winds of varying strengths.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Generally in the wind, ask yourself what the disc would do if you could throw harder. Applying to head or left to right crosswind for RHBH. So say it's a moderate wind, then ask "if I could throw 30' farther would this disc turn more?". Something like a Thunderbird won't really turn much more, but a Sidewinder likely would. So a Thunderbird would handle wind a bit more consistently whereas a Sidewinder would start to show its intended characteristics.

That being said some champ SW are pretty stable and will drift and probably come back if it's mild-moderate wind and you don't throw super hard. But I would expect it to interact a lot more with winds of varying strengths.
In your experience, does a crosswind have a similar effect as a headwind in making the disc fly as though it's experiencing higher airspeed? I would think that a disc would act no different due to aerodynamic HST in a 15 mph crosswind vs calm conditions.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
In your experience, does a crosswind have a similar effect as a headwind in making the disc fly as though it's experiencing higher airspeed? I would think that a disc would act no different due to aerodynamic HST in a 15 mph crosswind vs calm conditions.
Crosswinds will make your disc fly differently than a head or tail wind. It will depend on which direction the wind is coming from (left or right) and what type of throw (sidearm/backhand, left/right hand).