Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 41 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Sometimes I play great rounds and I realize that I've only thrown 5-6 different discs, while carrying a full bag of 16. BUT, that happens mostly in low wind and on courses with limited design elements in play.

It's true that I could probably simplify my bag quite a bit for most courses in most conditions. But that would often be more trouble than it's worth. Carrying a full bag is rarely so onerous that I'm worried about saving 175g here and 168g there. Typically I'm pretty comfortable carrying the full complement, and knowing that I could step up to any lie and comfortably attempt any throw I want.

(Don't get me wrong, I like to play 1 or 2 or 3 disc rounds on occasion. To me that's more of an exercise in learning certain throws or certain discs. It's not philosophically the same as building a bag that will let me play my very best phrolf.)

^THIS^
Exactly! When we started we did putter only rounds, 3 disc rounds, we started with the ubiquitous DX starter packs. There were 2 options and we each grabbed a different one and played with both sets, lol

I'm 45, ex-Army, and lived in Florida heat all my life. The weight of a disc golf bag full of everything I might want or need during a round is not a concern of mine.
This is of course subject to change as I age.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 144 Times in 94 Posts
Default Simplify your bag - Focus

I think there are 3 stages when developing a bag that should be taken into consideration

1. Beginner, 1-3 discs putter, mid and driver. Those should be worked with until proper form is developed. Work them until they are paper plates in the wind. Once there, move to stage 2.

2. Experiment!!! Find a bag that works for you. Dont be afraid to try new things, get rid of what doesnt feel right and find what works best FOR YOU. This will take time and can be frustrating. Dont carry all of them with you at once, but move things in and out until you have found the disc/mold for the spot you want or need. There are so many options and different approaches to the game, and what works best for me is not for you or Fred or Jacob.

3. Cut everything down to the bare essentials and start over. Go back to 3-5 discs. Now that you know what you like and how to throw it, learn these discs in and out. Dont take swap them in or out. That parts done, these are what works for YOU and its important to stick with it for as long as you can stand it.

From there its easier to add a disc/mold here or there to fill a gap. But the framework can stay the same and the thinking can be as minimal as possible. This is just my opinion though, its how I started building my bag up and I found Im very happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 07:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

What if, and don't go crazy here: ylur simplified bag was your full bag. Wjatbif you had 16-20 discs and still it was your simple bag? The ideas of a simplified bag and a minimalist bag I think are crossing here. Now, dont get me wrong here a minimalist bag is a simple bag but what about my bag? Its got 7 molds (sometimes 8-9) multiples of most in different stages. Pretty simple right?
Old 06-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,672 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigga View Post
No, I haven't convinced myself I need them. I am actually quite sure I don't "need" 24 discs.
What I do have however, is 2 very different courses, and a new found obsession with plastic.
Different plastics in different brands, discs with same flight ratings but feel and throw completely different in my hand, I'm at the start of a joyous and fun learning curve and loving every second of it.

I do totally agree with your last statement. However I would clarify that my form/technique/timing in less than a year has changed so much, the discs I thought were keepers and I thought I was throwing decently well 7 months ago I've found better options for, or wanted to add anhyzer line option at the same speed, etc., etc. I'm making some of my best throws with discs the last couple months I hadnt heard or tried of 5 months ago.

I added a couple discs recently to try out forehand flick upshots with.

Also, I grab one bag for either the open course or the wooded, there's discs I use only at one or the other.

This must make sense, yes? I haven't "convinced myself I need 24 discs", I am merely currently carrying 24 discs... lol
Nothing wrong with buying plastic, welcome to the addiction! What I meant to say was a reason to "carry" 24 discs. There are a lot of pros who don't carry that many.

And yes, some discs you like now may become discs you won't throw down the line, but if you learned a few discs really well, you would know more what type of a shot or disc you may need down the road because you have become used to making discs work for you.

Take a read through this thread;
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=32790

And, you don't need any special disc to throw a forehand. A good forehand player can flick every disc in their bag

Niced: (2)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 32
Niced 626 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
And, you don't need any special disc to throw a forehand. A good forehand player can flick every disc in their bag
True, but FD3's make it easy.

Niced: (3)
Old 06-29-2018, 09:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 8
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Certainly there's an argument for a pared down, basic bag. .
I do it more for weight but it has caused me to be more familiar with the discs I throw.

Part of the familiar bit comes from my getting bossed by a hippy looking dude (I mean this guy was right out of 1968.) who carried two discs. The putter was a Super Puppy and IDK the driver but this guy could make it moon walk if he had to.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
You've been playing less than a year and have convinced yourself you need 24 discs?

If you continue "and hopefully get better", ten years from now you'll probably have wished you just started with 5-7 discs and really learned them well.

Making discs work for you instead of having a disc for every possible shot will make you a better and more confident player.
Absolutely agree here. I was handed a bag if not very beginner friendly discs and given no direction. Quickly I became a student if the game and knew it was more than just recreation. Sought out experienced players and made some friends. Now I am carrying 7 molds and cycling them and I absolutely feel mire confident as a player.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,800 Times in 781 Posts

I guess I am of the philosophy of.........please don't tell me how many disc to carry.

I am convinced that there is no correct answer for how many is right. It is about preference and comfort. Many want a simple, minimalistic setup, good for them. Many like having very small variances from slot to slot.

After many years of playing, the only thing I am sure of is....I am not qualified to tell someone else how many discs they should use or carry.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 929 Times in 411 Posts

Not calling out anyone in particular, just a side rant:

I think there's a difference between "simplifying" and "mold minimalizing". A bag can be both, it can be one or the other, or it can be neither...but they're not exactly the same thing.

You can bag 6 Destroyers and smugly point out how few molds you use. However, to the objective observer, your bag has at least one slot that's very crowded. (Just like ODRB's mom when the Stickin' Putts gang is in town.)

There's nothing wrong with minimizing molds, if that floats your boat. I certainly tried minimizing for a while; actually worked in that direction for over a year. At the end of it, I had learned some lessons about shot and disc selection, but I wasn't scoring any better. So I went back to throwing whatever disc best suits a certain slot. My scores have gotten a little better--and a lot more consistent--since I stopped wasting time worrying about my mold count and used that time practicing instead.

(I understand that some people are really focused on getting consistent grip. I personally find that material affects my grip more than different disc geometry, at least within the same speed class.)

But anyway, back to my central point:
Don't conflate a minimal bag with a simplified bag. Neither is necessarily the other.

Niced: (2)

Old 06-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 41 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Nothing wrong with buying plastic, welcome to the addiction! What I meant to say was a reason to "carry" 24 discs. There are a lot of pros who don't carry that many.

And yes, some discs you like now may become discs you won't throw down the line, but if you learned a few discs really well, you would know more what type of a shot or disc you may need down the road because you have become used to making discs work for you.

Take a read through this thread;
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=32790

Agreed, and that's what I'm working toward, throwing a few discs well and able to cover all shot shapes with them. At the moment I'm trying to find those discs while my form and timing are constantly changing toward the better/more consistent.

I'll check out that thread when I hit submit on this, thanks!

What little forehand practice I've done, I've used Destroyers, FD3's (love them, made my best forehand drive during a round with one last week) MD3, some US Fairway options, etc. What I was referring to originally was the P3x and Rat I picked up for their flatness and OS to try for flicks on a couple holes where it seemed like every time I got a decent drive, I wasnt getting around to the right on the approach using the putters and couple mids I tried, and something more OS I could skip up might get me in the circle instead of the long 50'+ putts I kept ending with.

Thanks for the insight!