Old 01-13-2019, 05:57 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,719 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Kind of cool...but, I don't see winter glow golf as much of a "grow the sport" platform.
It wouldn't necessarily grow the recreational game but playing this winter/night format would increase global spectators which is what the pro side of the game sorely needs for financial sustainability.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,800 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It wouldn't necessarily grow the recreational game but playing this winter/night format would increase global spectators which is what the pro side of the game sorely needs for financial sustainability.
Lol....I certainly appreciate your vision and imagination. While I enjoy the occasional glow round and indeed play my share of snow golf, I think both are several steps from the game I love and hope continues to grow as a niche game. I hope that any attempt to bring the game to an international audience like the Olympics, is done in its generic iteration.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 74 Times in 31 Posts

Winter Olympic disc golf is probably the worst idea I have ever heard involving competitive disc golf.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Winter Olympic disc golf is probably the worst idea I have ever heard involving competitive disc golf.
Nobody says you have to play it but would you watch it? That's the key for an activity that attracts spectators.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 74 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Nobody says you have to play it but would you watch it? That's the key for an activity that attracts spectators.
I have played hundreds of rounds of disc golf in the snow. I would not want to watch anyone else play a snow round.

Casuals already see frolf as a low skill activity. It makes them chuckle when you talk about it at work. They give a mild shrug when you say you can drive 400 (not much compared to the average 250 yard golf drive). In the optimal conditions disc golf does not impress casuals. Now force them to watch WINTER disc golf. Imagine how foolish we would look stumbling around throwing 300 drives in thin winter air.

The only people that would want to see that are the guys down at the St. Paul Curling Club. Because it would make them look athletic.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
I have played hundreds of rounds of disc golf in the snow. I would not want to watch anyone else play a snow round.

Casuals already see frolf as a low skill activity. It makes them chuckle when you talk about it at work. They give a mild shrug when you say you can drive 400’ (not much compared to the average 250 yard golf drive). In the optimal conditions disc golf does not impress casuals. Now force them to watch WINTER disc golf. Imagine how foolish we would look stumbling around throwing 300’ drives in thin winter air.

The only people that would want to see that are the guys down at the St. Paul Curling Club. Because it would make them look athletic.
I agree if you're playing in the daytime. I'm saying it's a whole nother thing if a true spectacle is created for night play. Remember how cool the drones flying in formation looked at the recent Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony? We haven't even created what play at night could look like. We're talking way beyond what it looks like today when players go out at night. Hollywood type staging for entertainment value.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Disc golf is played year round in many locations. Not only would you play in snow but play at night, creating a fireworks-like LED explosion during play that would be highly entertaining for viewers, especially when the event is scheduled at night in European or Asian time zones when it's prime time in the U.S.
I know they do. I just don't think it's the best representation of the sport.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I know they do. I just don't think it's the best representation of the sport.
It's not necessary. We know our sport as it is is not sufficiently entertaining. The Olympics is seeking visually entertaining sports to add since viewership ratings for sponsors do matter.. Rhythmic gymnastics may be more entertaining than regular gymnastics, even if not as athletic.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 AM

Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
It's not necessary. We know our sport as it is is not sufficiently entertaining. The Olympics is seeking visually entertaining sports to add since viewership ratings for sponsors do matter.. Rhythmic gymnastics may be more entertaining than regular gymnastics, even if not as athletic.
I disagree. I think it is sufficiently entertaining. People watch ball golf, afterall. And rhythmic gymnastics is borderline unwatchable while regular gymnastics is the bomb.

Disc golf has a lot going for it visually: colorful discs, a variety of flight paths/shot types, different throwing techniques, interesting courses (wooded especially).

Glow and snow are gimmicks that I have no interest in watching. Maybe as a one-off thing, but round after round? No thank you.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,926 Times in 1,619 Posts

It's cute that Chuck thinks that if, by some miracle, disc golf makes it into the Olympics, it would be in a prime time televised spot. Like NBC would feature the spectacle of night snow disc golf over its usual primetime fare of figure skating, figure skating, and figure skating. IF disc golf somehow cracked the Olympic lineup, it would be relegated to one of the second or third tier cable channels airing between curling matches. Maybe the final round might get a few minutes of highlights during a prime time broadcast if something interesting happened (like Paul McBeth Jr and Simon Lizotte Jr going to a playoff for the gold medal).