Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 72
Niced 290 Times in 157 Posts

FWIW Dave Dunipace had pushed for a smaller limit to the rim width about 10 years ago. The PDGA opted for a wider limit.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 732 Times in 572 Posts

It almost sounds like people are indicating here that wide rimmed drivers instantly provide 100' more distance over stuff like Teebirds and Eagles. I think that's only true for the hardest throwers. The great majority of DG'ers aren't going to see any benefit to throwing something like a Destroyer over a Valkyrie or Teebird.

Someone like Ricky Wysocki will throw a Boss 100' (or more) further than a Teebird. That's perfectly fine. The way I look at it, he has earned that distance. Only at the pro level are some courses being obsoleted. That said, most pro events are set up on temporary courses with made up holes to increase the difficulty.

I for one don't think that wide rimmed drivers detract from the overall game. They do provide more distance than Teebirds, but you need skill and good arm speed to harness that distance. I think DG would be kind of boring if if drivers capped out at speed 7.

Just for argument's sake, I think some company should produce a (non PDGA legal) driver with a 3 CM rim and see if it blows the current 2.5 CM standard out of the water.

I think 2.5 is wide enough for sanctioned discs.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,749 Times in 859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Not to mention the fact that a hundred thousand disc golfers own a million of those discs already, and aren't clamoring to be forced to shelve them.
Each?

That's 100 billion discs.

Sounds about right.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Each?

That's 100 billion discs.

Sounds about right.
Well, you know how disc golfers love to acquire more plastic....

Old 05-16-2019, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,183 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmcgee View Post
Sure big drives are fun, but so are secluded technical courses.
Good thing we have both then, because both styles are really fun.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 50.1
Courses Played: 4
Niced 168 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
Good thing we have both then, because both styles are really fun.
More tournaments are going to ball golf style courses. That's where viewership is at, and money. I want DG to grow, but the last thing I want is it to be just like ball golf.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,222 Times in 571 Posts

Someone threw a Teebird over 800 feet.

If that's all the top pros had access too, they would learn to throw them just as far as the high speed stuff.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,925 Times in 1,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmcgee View Post
More tournaments are going to ball golf style courses. That's where viewership is at, and money. I want DG to grow, but the last thing I want is it to be just like ball golf.
I don't believe the bolded is true. At least not in a way that signals some sort of seismic shift of the whole game.

The NT over the last three years has featured just three events played on a ball golf venue (at least in part): Vegas, Glass Blown Open, Masters Cup. All other NT events in that time are played entirely on "traditional" disc golf venues (parks or dedicated properties): Beaver State, Pittsburgh, Hall of Fame Classic, Delaware. Same for Worlds. Not since 2016 in Emporia has Worlds seen a ball golf venue.

On the DGPT side, there are even fewer ball golf venues. In fact, only San Francisco, Utah, and the Final have utilized a disc golf course on a ball golf course. Every other DGPT event has been or will be on a "traditional" disc golf course in a park or on dedicated/private property: WACO, Jonesboro, Portland Open, Ledgestone, Idlewild, DGLO, Maple Hill, Green Mountain Championship.

I think it just feels like ball golf venues are becoming more prevalent because they are rather heavily concentrated in the first part of the season. I could be mistaken, but I think other than the DGPT finals for which a venue hasn't been announced, there are no more ball golf venues on the 2019 elite tour (NT, Majors, DGPT).

Niced: (3)
Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,794 Times in 780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I don't believe the bolded is true. At least not in a way that signals some sort of seismic shift of the whole game.

The NT over the last three years has featured just three events played on a ball golf venue (at least in part): Vegas, Glass Blown Open, Masters Cup. All other NT events in that time are played entirely on "traditional" disc golf venues (parks or dedicated properties): Beaver State, Pittsburgh, Hall of Fame Classic, Delaware. Same for Worlds. Not since 2016 in Emporia has Worlds seen a ball golf venue.

On the DGPT side, there are even fewer ball golf venues. In fact, only San Francisco, Utah, and the Final have utilized a disc golf course on a ball golf course. Every other DGPT event has been or will be on a "traditional" disc golf course in a park or on dedicated/private property: WACO, Jonesboro, Portland Open, Ledgestone, Idlewild, DGLO, Maple Hill, Green Mountain Championship.

I think it just feels like ball golf venues are becoming more prevalent because they are rather heavily concentrated in the first part of the season. I could be mistaken, but I think other than the DGPT finals for which a venue hasn't been announced, there are no more ball golf venues on the 2019 elite tour (NT, Majors, DGPT).
I think the Santa Cruz tournament coming up has a ball course as well.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,925 Times in 1,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think the Santa Cruz tournament coming up has a ball course as well.
That's Masters Cup.