Old 08-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
That's the risk you take by not limiting a field at an event like this. It doesn't matter today. It probably won't matter next year in Utah. But at some point, it will.
There are plenty of people here who are perfectly content with it never mattering.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 140
Niced 1,028 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Meh... overall Eureka has so many areas that just aren't visually appealing. I was so glad when I realized the other day that they were playing the other course as well. I'm excited to see round 4,.
Funny thing is probably the best hole out there is hole 8. And then they don't mark the creek and turn that into a crap hole.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 146
Niced 374 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
You have to plan for 2K spectators for the final round of worlds, especially on a Saturday. It's just not possible to have 2K people following a group at a course like Northwood.

Does the live signal play a part of that? Of course. But it's not nearly the issue that the logistics of people cause.
Crowd control on Wednesday with about 150 spectators was hard enough. I’m not looking forward to this afternoon. I can’t imagine dealing with a final round out here.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosenmatrix View Post
Maybe I missed this, but does anyone know what happened to Arlinghaus? Had a solid 1st round, but then a DNF?
Tweaked his back near the end of round 1. Tried to tough it out for the 2nd round but got progressively worse.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,925 Times in 1,618 Posts

Quote:
The problem with this is this makes perfect sense to us. Because we understand ratings and we understanding why Lloyd can play.

At the top of the sport we have got to stop thinking internally - which is what this post is, internal thought - and think externally.

People don't understand what a 750 rated player is or what that means or even why he is allowed to play. People understand that by watching him play and seeing his scores that the game isn't serious at the highest level.

That's the risk you take by not limiting a field at an event like this. It doesn't matter today. It probably won't matter next year in Utah. But at some point, it will.
Why do we give a **** what people from the outside think? Are they really looking at the bottom of the standings? Paying attention to the B-pool of the event? Quick, who finished at the bottom of the PGA Championship this year? Now who won the tournament? Easier to answer the latter than the former, no?

Sorry, I just don't buy into the think externally thing. Why should we be making sacrifices and changes to our events to cater to observers who quite frankly may not exist? It's an inferiority complex that I don't think helps anything.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 144
Niced 279 Times in 167 Posts

My worlds viewing experience:

Day after Rnd 1: I know Emerson shot hot, don't know anything else - watch one featured card, can't bring myself to watch a second round in a row at Eureka.

Day after Rnd 2: I kept myself pretty isolated from disc media and no one mentioned anything to me at league, I get to see Paul and Emerson just play awesome at Northwood. So cool. Watched the Rico/Sexton/roller round too. Getting worried Paul might be in the drivers seat with only a first-timer really giving him a fight. After finishing watching the round, knowing Round 3 was at Eureka - I opt to skip it entirely and spoiler the round by checking out results. Sure enough, Paul has a nice chunk now.

I can't wait to see Round 4 at Northwood, but honestly - unless Paul does something we don't expect (something un-Paul-like) I don't anticipate watching Round 5. Paul has 4 on a guy who is in his first chance at this, and has 8 on the rest. If it was at a nicer course to watch I'd check out Paul's coronation... but barring something crazy happening today?

Well, I hope something crazy happens today. Something to get me to watch Eureka. But Eureka isn't getting me to watch Eureka.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 927 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I can't wait to see Round 4 at Northwood, but honestly - unless Paul does something we don't expect (something un-Paul-like) I don't anticipate watching Round 5. Paul has 4 on a guy who is in his first chance at this, and has 8 on the rest. If it was at a nicer course to watch I'd check out Paul's coronation... but barring something crazy happening today?
Today at Northwood Gold is definitely the gauntlet that McBeth has to run. If he can maintain a similar lead over the field going into the final round, it's tough to imagine anyone catching him on Eureka. Northwood, though, has the potential to really punish, especially that thick rough that we saw a few players run afoul of in the Round 2 coverage. And I always shudder when I see a bunch of randomly scattered little tree trunks crowding in a very tight "fair"way; that's a recipe for randomizing results.

So considering all that, it'll be interesting to see if McBeth keeps the same game plan as he did on Round 2. He doesn't necessarily "need" to be as aggressive as he previously was, especially depending on how the rest of the field fares. But then again, with 36 holes left to play, not sure if it's too early to start easing off the gas and pacing the field.

Going to be fun to see how it all shakes out!

Niced: (2)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,093 Times in 1,190 Posts

pp knockin down birds

Old 08-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 115
Niced 295 Times in 144 Posts

Catrina is 43rd in Circle 1X putting and is one throw out of the lead. She has made 47%. Unreal. If she could putt this would be over already.

Niced: (1)