Old 10-17-2019, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,346 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I'm thinking it's more like the PDGA doesn't want to lose the pro side to another (start up?) organization willing to do things better. Which in my opinion the DGPT could do...very...easily.
...only if all the donors/local pros are willing to go along with the touring players. Otherwise the lower end touring players become the donors and the whole thing falls apart very quickly. (Unless/until someone decides it is worth their hard earned to watch disc golf)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 525 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
players under 1000=added cash for the most part
Agree to a point, but from under 1000 to above 900 is a big big gap. Especially on the courses and events this rule is in effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
at the very least, a 950 player probably has the skills but lacks the consistency to compete with 1000 rated players at these events (speaking from personal experience)
I agree completely. A 950 rated player could likely learn a lot more and have a bit of a breakout playing alongside the top pros at these events. 900 even or below? Im not as sure.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,057 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
I played Advanced with a Rec rating and cashed..
Don't you mean.. "merched" ? lol..

Niced: (3)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 160
Niced 147 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I think the touring pros who choose to live this life would get more support if they did more of the volunteer work so they can make more money instead of relying on the backs of sub-900 volunteers who get nothing for their hard work.
This is a really frustrating comment. So many touring pros volunteer their time teaching and training younger players (or newer players). Over the last few years, here are the touring pros I have asked to volunteer their time to do a clinic for me at Ledgestone or Worlds:

Nate Sexton, Madison Walker, Nate Perkins, Paul McBeth, Paige Pierce, Ricky Wysocki, Michael Johansen, Brian Earhart, Paul Ulibarri, etc etc etc etc. The list goes on and on. To say that our touring pros need to do more volunteer work is hard to see in written form. I can assure you that a lot of them spend considerable amounts of time growing the sport for no financial benefit.

Quote:
And to be fair. I think Nate agrees with a lot of this... but being a board member probably can't give us an unfiltered take. And I completely understand.
In this case, no, I am sympathetic to the issues of touring pros in this regard. I feel that manufacturers should probably do more in the events registration side of things. If they are paying for entry fees for the players anyways, why not just have someone sign up the players so the click war/paycheck issue isn't an issue for them? I could foresee someone with each manufacturer taking on this responsibility for their various top level teams so these players do not miss the biggest events.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,057 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
...only if all the donors/local pros are willing to go along with the touring players. Otherwise the lower end touring players become the donors and the whole thing falls apart very quickly. (Unless/until someone decides it is worth their hard earned to watch disc golf)
Sponsorship, added cash, would be the primary focus in getting payouts I would assume if something like this ever moved forward. ?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:53 PM

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 111
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Part of the issue getting overlooked is that it isn't possible to sign up for everything all at once. Registration opens up at somewhat random times for events: sometimes it's 4 months in advance, sometimes it's 2 months in advance. Sure, it's easy for all the local players who have that one event on their calendar that they're checking up on to try to get entered, but for a touring pro that has to worry about keeping tabs on when registration opens up for 25-30 different events, it can get pretty tricky.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyzer24 View Post
Part of the issue getting overlooked is that it isn't possible to sign up for everything all at once. Registration opens up at somewhat random times for events: sometimes it's 4 months in advance, sometimes it's 2 months in advance. Sure, it's easy for all the local players who have that one event on their calendar that they're checking up on to try to get entered, but for a touring pro that has to worry about keeping tabs on when registration opens up for 25-30 different events, it can get pretty tricky.
It is literally THEIR JOB to do that. Jees, create a Google Calendar. They know the schedule for the big events WAY ahead of time. LIKE RIGHT NOW. Reach out to each TD and ask when registration is going to open and put it on the calendar. Sure, if they were to miss an A-tier or something, I get that. But, if I told my boss that I couldn't keep track of all the things related to my job, I wouldn't have my job very long as an IT Manager.

Nate, I agree that the sponsors should/could be doing more for the players when it comes to the registration process. Heck, maybe that could be part of the Team Manager position. But, I also understand that coordinating 10 players schedule could be tough. What players are skipping what events.

Again, sympathy meter is REAL low.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:33 PM

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 111
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Geez, bringing up a topic doesn't equate to conjuring sympathy. I understand that it's on the players, I don't sympathize either.

If registration for a major event can occur at an arbitrary time, and it isn't publicly announced, then it absolutely will lead to some people being SOL. Our events are better when the best players are playing, right? I'm sure TD's don't want to get flooded with personal emails from 50 different players trying to figure out when registration opens, why not have a system in place or have that info emailed to the players? Sometimes it's posted on Facebook or something, but you can't assume that's gonna reach everyone.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,475 Times in 1,878 Posts

Is there not some kind of Tour Pass situation?

Old 10-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 286 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
If they are paying for entry fees for the players anyways, why not just have someone sign up the players so the click war/paycheck issue isn't an issue for them? I could foresee someone with each manufacturer taking on this responsibility for their various top level teams so these players do not miss the biggest events.
It is crazy to me if this isn't part of a team manager's job duties, at least for top players for the elite events. It seems to me like that should be a perk of reaching a certain level of sponsorship "For players on the Innova Champion team or higher, team manager will complete entries, including buy-in, for all NT, DGPT, and Majors that player intends to play"

Last edited by perklc; 10-17-2019 at 01:46 PM.