Old 11-20-2019, 12:27 AM
Par Member

Niced 84 Times in 46 Posts

I also vote Tern, but specifically in Champion plastic. Has a touch more stability, and just glides for days. Also gives a great forward skip at the finish depending on the angle.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 22 Times in 16 Posts

In my experience the higher speed will give you more distance. The problem I had was the more I threw high speed discs the more my poor form suffers and I either plateau or regress over time. So I try to mostly throw around speed 9 unless I’m in a tournament, on open hole or just for fun.

In general I throw teebirds or Mantis, then high speed is a Thrasher.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 783 Times in 376 Posts

I can vouch for the Tern as well. I get about 300 out of my Volts and Rivers, but can push a Tern to 330 on a good pull. I'd definitely recommend Star or Pro over Champ if you don't have at least 380' of power already

Niced: (1)
Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 734 Times in 574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I need to revisit the Tern. I tried it when I first started and hated it because it was too much disc for me at the time. That being said, Plasma Waves are awesome for that slot.
I'll concede that neutron and proton Waves aren't great though. I prefer my flippy discs to have more glide, and the neutrons/protons mold up too flat to chew up distance for me.
I've thrown probably 6 Waves. Both types of plastic. I just don't much like them. They come out of the hand fast, but don't glide that well or go especially far. For what the disc does, a Tern is so much longer. Waves don't have the effortless glide of a Tern.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:03 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 343 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todvan View Post
So, if I am more specific, I will say that the top drivers right now in my bag are all speed 9:

Champ Thunderbird is stable to over stable, Orion LF is stable, Discraft Heat and Roadrunner are understable and longest flight on a Hyzer flip line.

Just wondering, before buying discs that aren’t right for me, will I get any more distance by going up in speed to something that maybe will need me to anhyzer release to get it to hold a line like a Shryke or a Thrasher?
Hyzer flip is way to go. Easier on your body. I.e. not worth it bumping up to shryke if it forces you to throw on anny. Thrasher is pretty understandable though in my experience; so, you'd likely throw that on hyzer too. I can throw a Thrasher little farther than heat but heat still bombs. Honestly I've been throwing mostly fairway drivers lately and have way too many high speed drivers that I don't need. If anyone wants a like new shryke hit me up.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 48
Niced 862 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've thrown probably 6 Waves. Both types of plastic. I just don't much like them. They come out of the hand fast, but don't glide that well or go especially far. For what the disc does, a Tern is so much longer. Waves don't have the effortless glide of a Tern.
It takes a lot of trial/error on those. That's why I gave up. I found one great one, then tried to complement it. That's impossible with MVP/Axiom because every other Wave was too US, and the Photon is too OS.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 549 Times in 353 Posts

Hey just FYI - I'm the definition of an "average arm" or even below that, and I have really been digging the Boatman for both BH and FH. Just about the fastest stable (for my armspeed) driver that doesn't just fall out of the air.

Pairing that with Thrashers right now, pretty nice. Maybe an X thrasher or a mamba for turnovers.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 734 Times in 574 Posts
Default Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
It takes a lot of trial/error on those. That's why I gave up. I found one great one, then tried to complement it. That's impossible with MVP/Axiom because every other Wave was too US, and the Photon is too OS.
I had way better luck with the Octane, Catalyst, and Mayhem. I know those are all faster, but I found them to be much better fliers overall than Waves.

I keep trying to like the Wave, but it hasn't happened yet. Its a strange, awkward disc I can't find any use for. There are simply so many other, better drivers with the same flight numbers by other companies.

For the "max distance with average arm" category I'd still have to say Shryke or Tern. Those discs provide jaw dropping distance, and you don't have to be crusher to throw them.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 159
Niced 143 Times in 105 Posts

I'd try a Sidewinder or Roadrunner. They are the right combination of speed, distance and understability for my armspeed.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 48
Niced 862 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I had way better luck with the Octane, Catalyst, and Mayhem. I know those are all faster, but I found them to be much better fliers overall than Waves.

I keep trying to like the Wave, but it hasn't happened yet. Its a strange, awkward disc I can't find any use for. There are simply so many other, better drivers with the same flight numbers by other companies.

For the "max distance with average arm" category I'd still have to say Shryke or Tern. Those discs provide jaw dropping distance, and you don't have to be crusher to throw them.
They did a lot better job of making complimentary discs in the faster speeds, and yes, in my all MVP bag, my max D discs are mostly those. Still, that one Wave I have is fantastic. It's as if it's a different mold than every other one I have tried.