Old 12-18-2019, 03:59 PM

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default BIRDIE! The Disc Golf Board Game

I see there's a new disc golf themed board game coming out. Has anyone on here had a chance to preview this game and willing to share your thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...olf-board-game
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 106
Niced 235 Times in 112 Posts

I've been following along. Looks like they hit the goal and the game will be created.

Good interview with Steve Dodge on The Upshot podcast.

Looking forward to buying a copy of the game in the future.

Smart - they've created a game that is ripe for expansion packs and collectible player cards. It's all there, now it just needs to be executed and delivered.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
Smart - they've created a game that is ripe for expansion packs and collectible player cards.
Agreed. If they have the mechanics worked out and the gameplay is actually good it seems like it would be fairly easy to put out some course expansions.

But it would have to sell enough copies to justify printing expansions. The market is going to be limited by the theme. Only disc golfers are going to have even a bit of interest in this game.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:14 PM

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 1 Post

I'm a big tabletop gamer so I felt obligated to back it as an intersection of my two biggest hobbies. I don't plan to take it to my gaming group but looks like it might be easy enough that my disc golf friends could learn it :-P
Old 12-18-2019, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,337 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post

Smart - they've created a game that is ripe for expansion packs and collectible player cards. It's all there, now it just needs to be executed and delivered.
hmmm... what does this remind me of?

Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,050 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierhodge View Post
I'm a big tabletop gamer so I felt obligated to back it as an intersection of my two biggest hobbies. I don't plan to take it to my gaming group but looks like it might be easy enough that my disc golf friends could learn it :-P
wait... you think your game group wouldn't like it, but you think disc golfers who don't play board games would like it.

As someone who does not play board games, the idea of getting a group of disc golf buds together and ask them to skip playing an actual round of disc golf in favor of playing a card/board about disc golf..well..I'm just not getting it. ?

Old 12-19-2019, 04:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 413
Niced 215 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
hmmm... what does this remind me of?
I don't know, you tell me. And don't "dodge" the question.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,928 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
wait... you think your game group wouldn't like it, but you think disc golfers who don't play board games would like it.

As someone who does not play board games, the idea of getting a group of disc golf buds together and ask them to skip playing an actual round of disc golf in favor of playing a card/board about disc golf..well..I'm just not getting it. ?
I don't play board games either, but I backed the kickstarter and eagerly await getting the game as a result. And as I look out my window and see the ground covered in white stuff, wind chill hovering at -9, and sunset coming at 4pm, I find it quite easy to picture a scenario where I can get a group of disc golf buds together and play the board game for a few hours in lieu of playing an actual round. If from April through October, league night is Tuesday at 5:30...why not November through March, league night continuing at the game table?
Old 12-19-2019, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,050 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If from April through October, league night is Tuesday at 5:30...why not November through March, league night continuing at the game table?
Yah...but the whole idea of disc golf is the beauty of the outdoors combined with the jazz we get from seeing discs fly in the air. I could see a group of guys playing a video game simulation of disc golf. But I think you really have to be an avid board game player first to enjoy this. From the looks of the video, the actual game itself might be easier to play. lol...

Niced: (1)

Old 12-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Yah...but the whole idea of disc golf is the beauty of the outdoors combined with the jazz we get from seeing discs fly in the air. I could see a group of guys playing a video game simulation of disc golf. But I think you really have to be an avid board game player first to enjoy this. From the looks of the video, the actual game itself might be easier to play. lol...
I agree that a large part of disc golf's appeal is being outside - that's a big reason I enjoy it so much.

I completely disagree that you have to be a board gamer first. Avid board gamers are not the ones backing it, and very few of them would find it enjoyable. There are THOUSANDS (not an exaggeration) of board games for them to choose from, and I'm not talking about best-selling games like Monopoly, Battleship, Life, and Clue. This is one of about 3,500 games that are released per year, so only disc golfers will take notice.

Niced: (1)