Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 534
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 157 Times in 75 Posts

Not sure if it's paid off or not, but I posted a flyer with my favorite disc golf websites at our course. It'd be cool to know if any of the new players have checked out the sites.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2015, 12:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 64
Niced 41 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Played 36 holes and after finishing, had a couple of locals come up and ask about how to start a tournament.
Does this happen to you often? That's kind of a weird conversation to just start out of the blue. I'm going to start walking up to random loners on the course and asking them how to start a league.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

To the OP, my point was to his annoyance. Talk about annoyance, I get a bit of that when someone pisses and moans about a TD. It can be such a thankless job that I won't touch with a 10' pole. But I'm extremely thankful for those who have the passion and dedication to put up with all the baggage that comes with running the show. Work, family, other interests... in my mind are all valid reasons for not helping with any of the chores. For many this wonderful pursuit is purely one of relaxation. Some of these non-helpers may understand and appreciate the work but others may not. Rather than be annoyed be grateful for those who don't mind getting their hands dirty.

David hit the nail on the head. There are all types of ways to grow the sport. And it's not really growing the sport as much as maintaining it.

And for the record I do a bit of the physical labor when the time and inclination suits me. This past year I helped my buddy Doug clear downed trees as well as hauling and spreading asphalt killings for tees at his course. I spent many hours renewing and making more permanent tees in preparation for a tournament at my home course. A tournament that I wasn't even playing. I carry a bag on my cart to pick up the litter of others. The point here is not to blow my own horn, but to say I was just happy to help. I could care less why others do or don't help out. In all honesty my motivation to do the little I do is for making my play more enjoyable.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 360
Niced 738 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mart View Post
Does this happen to you often? That's kind of a weird conversation to just start out of the blue. I'm going to start walking up to random loners on the course and asking them how to start a league.
It's happened a few times. I'd suspect I was pegged as somebody in the know because I had a bag with me and a DG emblazoned hoodie on, in a town where the game is in its infancy and most people don't carry more than two discs with them.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 26 Times in 20 Posts
Default Promote disc golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
I really get annoyed by people always saying "grow the sport". Especially when they are allergic to physical labor. Post pics of how you actually grew the sport, not just talked about it.

Today I removed many stumps from our local disc golf course.
I am also annoyed by "grow the sport" just because it sounds awkward.

I say "promote disc golf". This sounds better to me than "grow the disc golf". I grow plants. Promote disc golf! Encourage it! Grow the trees for your disc golf course!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 260
Niced 172 Times in 90 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

Hahaha, could someone change this to the toot my horn thread. Dude tons of people put in work on courses, they just don't take pictures of themselves doing it and post it online.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Grow the Sport

The phrase Grow the Sport definitely gets throw around a lot but overall I am a fan of it because it is vauge enough to cover all kinds of work.

So far this year I have started a collegiate team at my school Austin Community College which has now made disc golf the first and only sport to compete inter-collegiately. I also got our team sponsored by Discmania! Plus we have a tournament that I will be TD for on April 12.

All of that aside, I feel my best contribution this year is when I am out on the course and can answer a new guys questions or giving a kid one of the cheap or found discs I keep in my bag.

I guess the point of all that is you don't have to reinvent the wheel to Grow the Sport!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletwist View Post
To the OP, my point was to his annoyance. Talk about annoyance, I get a bit of that when someone pisses and moans about a TD. It can be such a thankless job that I won't touch with a 10' pole. But I'm extremely thankful for those who have the passion and dedication to put up with all the baggage that comes with running the show.
Baggage, and thankless are a funny way to describe running a business that generates profit. I could see if the TD was not keeping the generated money for himself, and was donating all profits back into the course, but something tells me that's not what you meant.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
Hahaha, could someone change this to the toot my horn thread. Dude tons of people put in work on courses, they just don't take pictures of themselves doing it and post it online.
I'd personally rather see threads like this than fan boys telling themselves, and the rest of the internet, that they're growing the sport by following pro disc golfers on twitter, watching tournament footage, or asking what gimmicky crap they can buy to "improve their game."

Tons of people may do course work, but I don't think many are on this site. How many threads exist on the topic? How many are on some irrelevant gossip about "professional" disc golfers?

I'd rather have glory hounds brag about improving their local courses, than wannabes with their $300 bags, and <900 rating talk about how they practiced putting all weekend, and cashed in rec at their local c-tier. Disc golf benefits from course work, not players.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthHurts View Post
Baggage, and thankless are a funny way to describe running a business that generates profit. I could see if the TD was not keeping the generated money for himself, and was donating all profits back into the course, but something tells me that's not what you meant.
I would assume the opposite.