Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,605 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post

From a design standpoint: I've come to have a much greater appreciation for when a designer has not only a good "eye" for cool holes, but also when that hole is a successful design from a scoring spread standpoint, avoiding NAGs, etc. I had heard a lot of those terms talked about here, but until you start putting in holes, and testing them out, some of the subtleties of the concepts aren't immediately apparent.
Having only designed a course gradually, one or two holes at a time, I'm really amazed how well some people can do it, designing an entire course at once.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.8
Courses Played: 80
Niced 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Having only designed a course gradually, one or two holes at a time, I'm really amazed how well some people can do it, designing an entire course at once.
Sometimes it just comes to you naturally. Other times it is difficult. For me, I love that part of design since I've never come across one that doesn't have some serious constraints. That is all part of the puzzle!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 29.4
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 7 Times in 3 Posts

A lot of aspiring designers posted above - and the one thing I didn;t read (or missed it) was that they went and learned from a seasoned designer...

Start volunteering at a course, decide if you like the work - it is hard work and if that's not your cup of tea - designing and building courses isn't for you. Not all designers get their hands dirty these days, as some have worked long enough to have other do the work, and a very select few, with enough experience, can make strong enough propsals to have crews do the work.
While you are volunteering, read, read read - ther are literally doezens and dozens of ball golf course designer books that have valid principles - read and absorb, translate to our game. Develop your style from what you learned from your mentor and what you like that you read. Hopefully you've played disc golf for a long time, and have played many courses to fall back on experiential holes...

Ok, that said, go help another experienced designer build one of his courses, learn along the way - ask questions. Pick up some of his style, learn what you like of his - go play more courses and see how those ideas fall into place elsewhere. All you reading and learning will help you to develop some idea of what a good hole is, and how they come to be, how flow works, and how to achieve end goals before you start to cut stuff down....

After a year or two of apprentiship, you may have learned enough to have a go. Most above also designed with a chainsaw - I recommend getting to know the land really, really well - get intimarte with your poperty first - have a really good idea of what you want - them bring in your mentor and discuss with them what you think is the plan.

Walk it again and start by taking out brush and small stuff on a few holes - like 1/9 or 1/18 - hopefully you'll have two 8 hole loops and can get two of the planned holes 'rough cut'. At this stage you bring out baskets and have work days, combined with beta tests on the holes that are rough cut. The excitement will bring in volunteers, and FEEDBACK. Since its your first go, you'll need plenty of that. Then you can start to cut trees, if that's allowed and deemd nessesary.

Take your time, you only get one chance to make a good impression, and flopping as a designer won't be fun for anyone.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,605 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk12 View Post
A lot of aspiring designers posted above - and the one thing I didn;t read (or missed it) was that they went and learned from a seasoned designer...
Excellent post.

Keep in mind of those are talking about building private courses, which don't have the same demands to "get it right" the first time, and are less subject to criticism from other disc golfers later on.

In my case, I read everything from John Houck I could find, as well as other forums here and elsewhere on course design, before starting.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:37 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 184 Times in 98 Posts

Also, I'll point out that one doesn't necessarily need a "mentor" if they keep their eyes and ears open on the course. Pay attention to when a hole works and when it doesn't. Ask yourself "why?" See a lot of courses, ask those sorts of questions, and I think it's possible that someone ends up coming to a lot of the same conclusions as the "experienced designers."

Sometimes earning that knowledge yourself is better than having someone telling you what to do because "it just works" or "that's how the pros would do it," because then it's something you can apply everywhere.

Even having peers experienced disc golfing (but not necessarily design) can often provide the right feedback if you're willing to listen.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 68 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Excellent post.

Keep in mind of those are talking about building private courses, which don't have the same demands to "get it right" the first time, and are less subject to criticism from other disc golfers later on.

In my case, I read everything from John Houck I could find, as well as other forums here and elsewhere on course design, before starting.
Yep... this applied to me... also having Adam Jones (Nati co-owner... designer of Osage Grove) help me along has been great too. Having all of the knowledge from the last course that I had helped with was great too (Jacobson Park).

Lots of good advice in here. I also will second the natural pads until you know exactly where you want the concrete!
Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 119 Times in 49 Posts

Interesting, as my approach to design is very different to anyone elses here.

I have played one round of DG in the US, and a few in Japan. The few I have played in Australia (bout 12 now) are nothing like the course I have designed. I am working from pictures, videos etc of courses I have only dreamt of playing. I am truly making it up as I go, and learning from anyone/everyone who comes to play it. I have a few US friends who love the place, and I am working harder then ever to get it right.

But tomorrow, tomorrow is a play day...it is snowing in my tropical state! My course is coated in a layer of snow, love it!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 179
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I started out pretty much back when I started playing @2005-2006. I apprenticed shortly under Everett Lasley then Lyle McCoon. So the Greenwell lineage. You learn so much when you actually get a chance to work under a experienced designer. Besides learning alot of the old school design philosophies I also learned alot of new school design from Lyle who was a big fan of Chuck Kennedy. I feel you need to take all the important aspects from both schools of thought to design awesome courses.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 179
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Also
GOOOOOSE!!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 68 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
Also
GOOOOOSE!!
#DRREEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!

I would like to point out that the first course that I worked on was actually Drew's love child Jacobson Park.

Niced: (1)