Old 04-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 534
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 159 Times in 76 Posts
Default Pace of play becoming more of an issue

I noticed over the last couple of years pace of play is getting slower. Could this be due to lack of enforcing rules? Before you blame it on the older guys with carts, I witnessed a young intermediate player take 3 minutes per throw at the IDGC (3 practice throws without a disc, analyze the fairway, go back to his bag to get a disc, three more practice throws with the disc, then his shot). I realize routines help, but wow! We were making our way back to the clubhouse after the round. I did make the comment after his missed putt, "You made us wait forever for that!" Hope he got the hint.

I hate to be a rule Nazi, because I'm trying to enjoy my day off work. I have to enforce rules, enforce standardized work, and investigate problems all week at work. But, the slower pace (and my poor putting) is killing my game.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 122
Niced 567 Times in 347 Posts

I'd give them a friendly reminder of the rule the first time an egregious display happens, then if a repeat occurs call them on it.

I don't like being a rule nazi either, but that can affect an entire tournament, not even just your card. If people have to wait for your cards results one person can potentially hold up many.

3 minutes per throw is ridiculous either way. I wouldn't finish a round with someone taking that long for each shot.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 320
Niced 441 Times in 193 Posts

Hi Greg! We just played Birdies & Bogies at Idlewild & Boone yesterday, and turned out 101 players for the beautiful weather day. The groups actually moved through the courses fairly efficiently (it WAS Idle-mild 24 short, then a packed 20 holes at Boone with hundreds of others in the park, and even a few dozen causals playing when we started there), but the rounds were right at 5 hours and 3 hours, respectively. I didn't see any abuses of the 30 second rule, but tourney play does seem to be slower, even than when I started playing five years ago. Guess that's what we get for 'growing the sport'!

But you're also very correct: I hate to be the one that has to nag. I just want to throw! Maybe we could soften the blow a little to hint that, "Man, seems to me like the card behind us is looking a little pissed at our pace of play..."
Old 04-10-2017, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,344 Times in 954 Posts

Pace of play is becoming a bit more of an issue with growth. As with almost every other rules problem the solution is for players to actually call the violations.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,943 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
I noticed over the last couple of years pace of play is getting slower. Could this be due to lack of enforcing rules? Before you blame it on the older guys with carts, I witnessed a young intermediate player take 3 minutes per throw at the IDGC (3 practice throws without a disc, analyze the fairway, go back to his bag to get a disc, three more practice throws with the disc, then his shot). I realize routines help, but wow! We were making our way back to the clubhouse after the round. I did make the comment after his missed putt, "You made us wait forever for that!" Hope he got the hint.

I hate to be a rule Nazi, because I'm trying to enjoy my day off work. I have to enforce rules, enforce standardized work, and investigate problems all week at work. But, the slower pace (and my poor putting) is killing my game.
There is one single solitary way to solve the problem of players taking excessive time (or habitually foot faulting or whatever else): CALL THEM ON IT. Don't make passive aggressive comments hoping they get the hint. Flat out tell them they're taking too long and you're going to start issuing warnings and penalties if it continues. If you're unwilling to do that, then you're part of the problem.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you don't want to enforce the rules out of fear or reluctance to be a "rule nazi", you forfeit the right to bitch about players who commit the violations you don't call. Suck it up and make a call or suck it up and deal with the longer rounds.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,758 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
801.01 Application of the Rules
B. Players are expected to call a violation when one has clearly occurred. Calls must be made promptly.

801.04 Courtesy
D. Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or keeping score properly, is a courtesy violation.
G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.
So, if the group ahead of you is not calling Excessive Time on one of their group, you can go up and give the other three players a Courtesy Violation for failing to perform an action expected by the rules: namely failing to call a violation when one has clearly occurred.

And if you don't, the group behind you can give you Courtesy violations for failing to call the Courtesy violations on the group in front of you.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 534
Niced 159 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
There is one single solitary way to solve the problem of players taking excessive time (or habitually foot faulting or whatever else): CALL THEM ON IT. Don't make passive aggressive comments hoping they get the hint. Flat out tell them they're taking too long and you're going to start issuing warnings and penalties if it continues. If you're unwilling to do that, then you're part of the problem.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you don't want to enforce the rules out of fear or reluctance to be a "rule nazi", you forfeit the right to bitch about players who commit the violations you don't call. Suck it up and make a call or suck it up and deal with the longer rounds.
Sounds good. I'm going to start playing Open and be guaranteed to cash because I'm one of the few not smoking weed on the course!
Old 04-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,130 Times in 621 Posts

Unless you're a dick about it, gleefully warning and penalizing players, you're not a rule nazi. Even then though, rules are rules. This ain't calvinball. Just be respectful, maybe even a little indirect about it, like "just to give you a heads up..." or "I'm sure you weren't aware, but...".
People who use the term "rule nazi" either dgaf or they're cheats.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,624 Times in 1,568 Posts

I don't know. My own experience is that the length of tournament rounds is about the same as it was 15 years ago, playing tournaments on the same courses I played then. I've been complaining about it for decades now and it's still bad---but I'm not sure it's any worse. At least, not here, not for the tournaments I play.

Now, if you're talking casual rounds, where the course traffic has increased twentyfold.....

Niced: (1)

Old 04-10-2017, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,128 Times in 1,206 Posts

There are some courses around the MN area I refuse to hit up during peak hours or weekends due to this type of stuff.

Also, keep in mind the difference between assertiveness and aggressiveness. Its really about your approach to the situation.