Old 01-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 221 Times in 104 Posts
Default Mental Game

So yeah. I am involved in a long term process of building awareness of my self talk and working to become much more of a positive "coach" to myself in general. Naturally disc golf is subject to this as well. Anything competitive for me has been a challenge to incorporate positive self talk into. I had always been my own worst critic...very very hard on myself and that did work to a degree in pushing and motivating myself in sports and academics. I am finding that when disc golfing it is sooo hard for me to not just come crushing down on myself in my own mind. I am aware this is a matter of repetition and perseverance in making this shift in my "mental game" and it will take time. Just curious if anyone else struggles with anything like this, tips, tricks and whatever. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 84 Times in 48 Posts

I've always thought the term "mental game" didn't really apply to disc golf. It's a straightforward game.

It's all simple math. Low score is a combination of proficiency, sound decision making, and luck. Proficiency is a combination of aptitude, training, and practice. Sound decision making is the sum of experience and ego control (the only real "mental" struggle that very good players deal with). Luck is out of your control, nothing to worry about.

If you aren't happy with your results, see which of the above factors are missing. If you're really so worked up about competition that you're struggling to play well, you have an emotional problem, not a "mental game" problem.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

Have a short memory. Don't think about the tee shot you just shanked and how far you're going to be in the woods. Also don't think about how you are only 16' away on that parked drive and you're guaranteed a birdie...because you're not getting a birdie until after it's in.

I like to walk up to a shot, assess the line, choose the shot I want. That means disc, angle, power %. Now the thinking is over. See the gap/line, when you are only focused on hitting the line, then go through your shot and hit it confidently. That's it. No more thinking until the next shot assessment.

This also means that if I executed the shot well but chose the wrong line/disc, or executed within my ability standards but hit a branch slightly because the gap was too small to reasonably hit every time, then I can differentiate between a successful shot and unsuccessful selection. Then adjust next time for a higher % play. If I threw the shot wrong then I just remember next time to not fluff it or griplock or whatever, but don't fixate on it all the way to the next shot.

Same with putts...I wait until I'm 100% focused on the spot I want to hit and I believe I will hit it, then I execute. Sometimes this takes 2 seconds of staring, sometimes 8 seconds, I just wait until my mind knows I'm going to put it in, then I do it. Sure they miss sometimes, but if I just "try to putt it" without that same focus then I miss a lot more often.

Not saying do what I do, just giving a different perspective.

Oh and realize that all pro's miss shots, and bad luck and good luck often even out. It sucks with a few bad bounces/rolls early in a round, but you can still salvage it and end up at your average score. Yeah sometimes an entire round is bad breaks very occasionally, but if you decide it's going to be bad breaks after hole 5 then you're right.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 24 Times in 10 Posts

I disagree about skills above midset as someone who has spent alot of time working in the past on the way i think for pesonal growth, business, and sports .

“Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.” Willie Nelson

Of course you need to practice the fundamentals and build the skill stack you need but without a successful mindset (Mcbeth) you will not succeed as far as your skill stack should take you (Nikko)

Last edited by OhSnap; 01-08-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 152 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
I've always thought the term "mental game" didn't really apply to disc golf. It's a straightforward game.

It's all simple math. Low score is a combination of proficiency, sound decision making, and luck. Proficiency is a combination of aptitude, training, and practice. Sound decision making is the sum of experience and ego control (the only real "mental" struggle that very good players deal with). Luck is out of your control, nothing to worry about.

If you aren't happy with your results, see which of the above factors are missing. If you're really so worked up about competition that you're struggling to play well, you have an emotional problem, not a "mental game" problem.
What term should be used then?? Are you trying to say that emotions are not mental? Being able to control your emotions to make that 8' putt to win the Masters is not mental?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnap View Post
I disagree about skills above midset as someone who has spent alot of time working in the past on the way i think for pesonal growth, business, and sports .

“Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.” Willie Nelson

Of course you need to practice the fundamentals and build the skill stack you need but without a successful mindset (Mcbeth) you will not succeed as far as your skill stack should take you (Nikko)
BS
Paul is simply a more skilled player. And when things don't go his way he's just as big a whiner. In my experience.

A positive attitude will make you a better person to be around, but it won't equal success. The horrible negativity that leads to playing below one's skill level is a major emotional flaw and completely beyond the scope of jolly mind games.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
What term should be used then?? Are you trying to say that emotions are not mental? Being able to control your emotions to make that 8' putt to win the Masters is not mental?
Emotions are mental. No question.
I think players/commentators need to refer directly to emotions instead of using the vague term "mental game" which could also refer to strategy or competitive philosophy or logical decision-making.

I don't know how other people manage or fail to control their emotions, but there has to be a degree of perspective and intelligence involved I suppose. Competing at frisbees has never caused me any emotional stress. My skills don't change based on any competitive situation, so I'm free to do what they and the odds and acceptable risk dictate. Same goes for everyone, in theory...

So why is such trivial competition at such a trivial game so emotionally rich for so many people?
Old 01-08-2019, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,010 Times in 1,835 Posts

Read Golf is Not a Game of Perfect.

And Craigg's Corner:https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=27231

Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 152 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
BS
Paul is simply a more skilled player. And when things don't go his way he's just as big a whiner. In my experience.

A positive attitude will make you a better person to be around, but it won't equal success. The horrible negativity that leads to playing below one's skill level is a major emotional flaw and completely beyond the scope of jolly mind games.
Being a "whiner" doesn't mean you don't have a strong "mental game". If you step up to the next tee and shank your drive because you were still upset about the putt you were just whining about, then your mental game sucks.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 65
Niced 662 Times in 319 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
...So why is such trivial competition at such a trivial game so emotionally rich for so many people?
If you haven’t figured it out by now, you probably never will.