Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-06-2020, 01:16 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post What does each manufacturer do best in 2020?

I read through the 7 pages from the 2012 post, but I'd like to know the updated version. Also, what are the best brands (give specific disc examples) for distance drivers, fairway drivers, midranges, and putters? Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2020, 10:14 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 115
Niced 206 Times in 106 Posts

You're going to get a litany of opinions here. Pretty subjective, but I'll play. Full disclosure, I've thrown near exclusively Discraft for more than a decade, so there is some familiarity bias for sure......
Drivers- used to be Innova, hands down. Gap has narrowed considerably and I think most mfrs have a completely serviceable lineup.
Fairways- Again, hard to look past Innova, though Discmania and to some extent Discraft have made inroads. Trilogy also have some good stuff
Mids- Discraft shines here. Won't say nobody else is close, but I it seems like others are/were playing catch up
Driving putters- Prodigy should be tops, although MVP has some very popular offerings.
Putting putters- Too personal to call. Gateway Wizard is popular, if somewhat cultishly so. Prodigy 350G plastic is my favorite, though I use Discraft putters.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,255 Times in 723 Posts

Distance Drivers: Dealers choice. Everyone has good stuff.

Fairways: Innova still has the best OS discs for power throwers. MVP has the best straight discs. Discraft and Trilogy both have awesome understable stuff.

Mids: Discraft; no one else is even close.

Driving putters. MVP; no one else is even close.

Putting putters: these are personal. What ever works for you.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

I’ll play too by simply listing a few discs that I think stand out as being excellent examples from various manufacturers.

Drivers and Fairways-

Innova Destroyer

Innova Thunderbird

Discmania PD

Discmania FD

Latitude 64 River

Latitude 64 Saint

Mids-

Discraft Buzzz

Westside Bard

Westside Warship

Discmania Method

Putters-approach-

Discraft Zone

Westside Harp

Gateway Wizard

Discmania P2

Axiom Envy

Obviously this is a short list and based solely on my opinion and experience. There are a ton of excellent options from just about every manufacturer. There was a time where you either threw Innova or Discraft. Now there are a ton of options.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 48
Niced 862 Times in 582 Posts

Drivers - Innova
FDs - Innova again since Discmania counts
Mids - DD. I used to be all Discraft here, but DDs lineup meshes together better.
Throwing putters - MVP/Axiom
Putting putters - Legacy
Old 01-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,259 Times in 1,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP-Cannon View Post
what are the best brands (give specific disc examples) for distance drivers, fairway drivers, midranges, and putters? Thank you!!
Innova has so many molds out there that they 'win' hands down. But I'll play:

distance drivers: probably Innova. The Destroyer destroys the competition in sales, and the Tern is an outstanding mold.

fairway/control drivers: again probably Innova with the Teebird, Firebird, Valkyrie, and Leopard/3. But Lat64 also has some really good fairway drivers in the River, the Saint, etc.

midranges: I agree with others that have already posted that Discraft is the winner here, especially with the Buzzz. I always liked the Hornet. And while the Zone is considered a 'putter', I'll put it here as the best overstable approach disc.

putters: Very personal. For me, the Prodigy 350 plastic is the best putter plastic out there. I putt with the Marshal, but the Paul McBeth Prototype was a truly awesome putter for me. The Aviar family (in which I include the P2) is extremely popular with a lot of people, and likely will always remain so.

One last comment: Innova used to be the undisputed champion in sales, based on the anecdotal evidence of the Disc Golf Center best seller list. I remember when every mold on that disc was Innova, with an occasional breakthrough by the Buzzz or Judge. But since Paul McBeth went to Discraft, that Innova dominance has been greatly reduced, and other brands have made inroads. So take that for what you will...

Niced: (2)
Old 01-06-2020, 11:41 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,102 Times in 711 Posts

For distance drivers I think it’s a toss up between Innova and Trilogy, both have tons of molds and many that are very good.

Fairways is probably Innova due to the Teebird/Eagle/Leopard dominance but I think MVP and Trilogy to a good job here too.

Mids is probably Discraft, but Westside/DD in particular have a great showing also.

Approach discs I have to say that overall I’m not even sure any big company have three that are better than the Reptillian Scale/SERP/Stego. Love a Harp/Zone etc but those three are hard to beat.

Everyone makes some kind of good putting putter, that’s hard to nail down.

We are very lucky to have as many great options as we have now though!
Old 01-06-2020, 11:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 68
Niced 243 Times in 116 Posts

Innova reigns supreme to me for one big reason. Availability. Discraft is right there in that regard, but their drivers in general and putter plastics still have room for improvement.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 549 Times in 353 Posts

Distance Drivers: Hard to argue with the dominance of Destroyers and Destroyer also-rans, so have to give the nod to Innova

Fairways: Firebirds, Thunderbirds, FDs, oh my! Innova again

Mids: Discraft mids are great overall. The Tursas sure is nice though.

Throwing putters: MVP is the winner with the Proxy and the Proxy OS. The Zone, Rhyno, Harp etc. are very nice but the Entropy seems to do a great impression of those.

Putting Putters: Trilogy makes some really great putting putters - Dagger, Judge, Warden.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 140
Niced 448 Times in 202 Posts

About a decade ago we (really) only had these options...
Drivers: Innova
Midsiscrat
Putters: Gateway

These days there is little difference in flight characteristics, molds, plastic, and yes, even consistency has (more or less) leveled out. IMO there is no "better" manufacturer for any application - only the belief in one's favorite brand.

Niced: (1)