Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Mid-Range Disc Help

I currently only have two mids, a Shark and Stingray. The Stingray I like and use on 250'ish straight or anhyzer-needing tee shots and most of my wooded fairway use. I'm sure max distance that could be stretched a good bit further. I'm not as sure on the Shark or what distance I get with it since I don't think I've ever measured or used it off the tee, it just doesn't seem as workable for me.

I've been reading a lot about Buzz's, Makos, and Coyotes but I can't get a good understanding of how they all compare to each other and to Sharks and Stingrays. So I'm hoping that somebody with experience on multiples of these will share their thoughts?

I'm not looking for something to throw and get the Max distance out of. I'm hoping there is one mid that is super workable and will do whatever lines I try to put on it. Is that too much to ask of one disc?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Stingrays are considered one of the most understable discs, problem is they are wildly inconsistant between runs and molds so there is a chance that yours is not but the next one you get might be.

Shark is an interesting disc...I did not like them as I could turn them over too easily but we just recently found a champ and it is on of the straightest discs I have ever seen if you have the right snap.

A Buzzz, mako or coyote is a very workable disc and any one of them might do the trick for you. Latitude Core and Fuse are very workable as well. For a slower disc, a spider can do just about anything as well.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
I'm not looking for something to throw and get the Max distance out of. I'm hoping there is one mid that is super workable and will do whatever lines I try to put on it. Is that too much to ask of one disc?
One disc, perhaps. One mold, definitely not.

The only reason I say that you might not be able to get all that out of one disc is because of fade. There are lines you can get out of a disc that has a predictable, but not overbearing fade that you can't get out of a disc with little fade and vice versa.

Your two options are to find a disc that fades like that when new and carry multiple discs in different stages of wear (DX/KC Roc, E/S Warrior, etc.) or carry two molds (Wasp/Buzzz, Sentinal/MS, Warriror/Element, etc.)
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 14
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

A comet is a very workable disc...but you have to be careful to not put to much snap on it or else it will turn and burn everytime...so best solution would be to use a finesse throw..which is what your looking for? its also a wider disc so its a little bit bigger...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Dad

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 93
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use an ESP Buzzz(Furthest driver but also a little wider on flight), a Cryztal Buzzz(lose about 50 feet on max d but i can get it str8 and doesn't fly around to much), a beat Pro-D Buzzz(seems to go right but only very slowly) and a Meteor(goes right pretty hard and fast) for almost all my mid needs. I also throw RHBH
Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 530 Times in 225 Posts

The Mako is probably a good candidate for the "one mid-range" philosophy.
It just depends on how much you want out of the disc.
Personally, I carry a slightly understable (Star Stingray), overstable (Star Roc), slightly overstable (QMS) and understable (ESP Comet) mid-ranges in my bag. But then again, my home course is heavily wooded and favors well-placed long approaches.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

i vote champ panther
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
The Mako is probably a good candidate for the "one mid-range" philosophy.
It just depends on how much you want out of the disc.
Personally, I carry a slightly understable (Star Stingray), overstable (Star Roc), slightly overstable (QMS) and understable (ESP Comet) mid-ranges in my bag. But then again, my home course is heavily wooded and favors well-placed long approaches.
I am with you, I carry a Fuse, an S Blaze, a Star Gator, a Star Stingray and of course my putters for those very same reasons.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I dont know; I carry a Core for all my mid shots whether hyzer, straight or turnover; but I use Opto for shots I want more reliably straight and a subtle fade and a GL for turnovers where I dont want much fade; but really could manage with just the opto. If I want a harder fade or hyzer, I reach for something faster.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,367 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
One disc, perhaps. One mold, definitely not.

The only reason I say that you might not be able to get all that out of one disc is because of fade. There are lines you can get out of a disc that has a predictable, but not overbearing fade that you can't get out of a disc with little fade and vice versa.

Your two options are to find a disc that fades like that when new and carry multiple discs in different stages of wear (DX/KC Roc, E/S Warrior, etc.) or carry two molds (Wasp/Buzzz, Sentinal/MS, Warriror/Element, etc.)
Riding Garu's coattails as usual.

What I bolded is particularly important and it really depends on which style you prefer (the 2 options he alluded to). That being said, the most neutral of stability molds are your best bet if you're going the one disc route. So you're in Comet, Fuse, Coyote, QMS, Mako, territory. But since you already like the Stingray, it's probably better if you compliment it with a Buzzz, Roc, Core, Nebula, etc.