Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Driving ... Low Speed/Heavy or High Speed/Light Disc

When you are looking to improve your distance and your form is relatively tuned in, and assuming you are driving in your local area's typical wind conditions (not gale force), do you:

A. Stick with your current driver (i.e. 167g Teebird), assuming it isn't ultra high speed to begin with) and max out the weight? i.e. 175g Teebird

or

B. Do you move up in speed but drop the weight down? i.e. 160-165g Valkyrie

Discuss ...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I would say myself to go with the lighter Valk. Personaly I think that if more people were throwing lighter discs to start out with they would get down their teqnique before they try to get the power.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 58
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

I would say to find the driver that's right for you. That doesn't really answer your question, but I don't know how you throw so I'm sure how to answer it. But when you're playing with other people, throw their discs. Mess around with them. Then you'll know better what you should throw.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by humchris85 View Post
I would say myself to go with the lighter Valk. Personaly I think that if more people were throwing lighter discs to start out with they would get down their teqnique before they try to get the power.
i agree with this because once you have form distance will come.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

Ive found heavier discs tend to remain more stable than lighter discs but at the same time seem to drop out of the sky faster. It really comes to so many variables. I throw lighter discs uphill and heavy downhill. I throw heavy more stable into the wind and lighter less stable with the wind. There is no magic formula to this game. A+B does not always =C there are just so many conflicting variables to keep straight. Best advice I would give is to throw everything you can and go with what works consistently for you. For every time you might crank out an amazing drive with a high speed disc you won't be able to control it 9 out of 10 times. I would take 9 controlled drives with a slower disc over one great drive on an 18 hole course everytime. BTW often the gain is distance is so marginal maybe 30 feet or so that mid range and putting more than make up for the lost distance on the drive. Climo throws primarily fairway drivers I believe..he is no slouch!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been trying the slow heavy route. The heavier disc are more predictable in all wind conditions and I also see to get a more consistant release. I have decided consistance and predictable flights are worth sacrificing a little distance.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I started with heavier discs initially, but I've recently started scaling the weights down a bit and finding that I am more successful all around. I always like the max weight drivers, but now I tend to prefer the 165-170 range.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

When it is windy I will almost always reach for a heavier disc. Tried the lighter disc once and it now sits at the bottom of a lake, probably to remain there forever and ever. If however you are just trying to throw longer with form that is truly dialed in I would reach for a lighter disc knowing full well that using it in the wind may not be an option.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Leave the drivers at home and throw a midrange until you can consistently throw over 300' with them.

That is where I am...and I have to keep reminding myself because I have all sorts of disc lust.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was supposed to be more philosophical than a "help me" thread. I can turnover my 170g DX Leopard over 300' easy. I recently got a 167g Champion Valkyrie that has been flying pretty stable for me. If I put a little mustard on it I can get it to fly like the published flight path (but not always where I want it), but if I take a little off of it, it goes stable. I just wonder if I should have dropped the Valk down to 164 or so (yes, I read the thread discussing the margin of error of labeled weights vs actual weights) so that I could take a little off the throw to maintain propper form, but still get the speed and glide to take me to farther distances than my Leopard. Also, I used the Teebird as an example because it seems to have a huge following, proven track record and the fact that it is a 7 speed, 5 glide which should give it some more distance than the Leopard without being too fast of a disc (although it seems very overstable).

My bag for reference (been playing casually for 3 years, regularly 1, former HS baseball player, throw mostly RHBH, with some sidearm/rollers and tomahawks):

167g Champion Valkyrie (brand new) - 350'+ shots
170g DX Leopard (beat) - 275-330' shots
175g DX Roc (pretty new, still very overstable - want to give it a chance, but may go to a Coyote or Skeeter) - 200-250' shots
Classic Aviar (bought used, super beat, very reliable) - putt upto 200'

Also have a 150g DX Dragon that I started with, can bomb it in no wind, but will only take when playing courses with water. It is super understable as well (very beat).