Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default My First Disc Golf Tournament Experience

My first Disc Golf Tournament experience was awesome. I watched the lead card at Minnesota Majestic at BRP on Saturday (Nikko LoCastro, Cale Leiviska, Bradley Williams, and Paul Ulibari). I then played two rounds on the Tournament course on Sunday to see how I stacked up (not so good LOL). Nikko shot 141 for his two rounds at BRP and Cale shot 142. I shot a 187 in my two rounds. I guess it’s not that bad since I have only been playing for a little more than a year now. I only have to make up 46 throws tow win it next year HA HA.

It was a great experience to watch these guys play. I learned a lot about how an A tear event is run and watched some of the best players in the world do their thing. Those guys go for the chains no holding back.
Nikko blew up on Hole #4 http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...022&p=12e8c988 he hit an early tree and went off to the right side of the fairway. He had to pitch out and got pin on a tree then threw a great third shot to leave him about 130ft from the pin. He hit his 130ft putt for par it was crazy. He is very emotional on the course, IMO to a fault. I don’t think it is good for the sport when a guy is swearing, kicking the ground, pretending to punch trees, kicking his bag and acting like a jack ass in front of the gallery. He seems like the Tiger Woods of disc golf. He is ridiculously good don’t get me wrong, IMO he is making the sport look bad.

Cale on the other hand was cool and collected the whole time. He threw it in the water on hole #20 http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...022&p=12e8c988 and didn’t miss a beat (if he wouldn’t have done this he would have won) he didn’t even blink and took his 4 like a good sport.

What does everyone think about the sportsmanship at tournaments?

What are some of your experiences?

All in all I had a great time and can’t wait to watch and maybe play in some tournaments in the future.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 48.7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was there, Nikko was being pretty ridiculous.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

who cares if he was getting mad when he threw bad shots..you cant honestly sit here and tell me you have never blew up on a hole and didnt get a lil loud and mad..and hes a young gun hes gonna be emotional..so all in all cut him some slack its ok to get mad and throw a fit every now and then
Old 06-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 40
Niced 51 Times in 35 Posts

He does it more than just "every now and then"
Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't think its very professional to be throwing that kind of fit. If someone does that once or twice in a blue moon, then maybe it can be looked passed, but I have heard of Nikko doing this quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdankn View Post
who cares if he was getting mad when he threw bad shots..you cant honestly sit here and tell me you have never blew up on a hole and didnt get a lil loud and mad..and hes a young gun hes gonna be emotional..so all in all cut him some slack its ok to get mad and throw a fit every now and then
A lil loud and mad doesn't mean you kick your bag and swear loudly near the gallery. A short grunt is fine and understood, but much more than that just isn't professional IMO.

And yea, I can say that I don't blow up over a bad shot. There isn't anything riding on my shots besides a little pride, so what is there to blow up over?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If pro golfers do what he does they get fined. I just think it is bad form. He recoverd and everyone would not have been wispering behinde his back if he would not have done what he did. It happen more than the one time I mentioned on shots that were not even that bad.

Its one think to get mad but have some restraint he's a pro he should act like one. IMO
Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 138
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Some handle the frustration by holding it in and imploding. Nikko just lets it out then and there with an explosion. Everyone gets frustrated. When you are one of the best players in the world you have very high expectations for yourself. When you play a hole like an amateur you get very upset because you know you can do better and you expect to do better. It is a normal thing. He gets pointed out on it more because he is in the lime light more than just about anyone. He is almost always in the top 4 at any event. Its no different than hollywood stuff. im sure there are coke addicts in your neighborhood that you dont know about but everyone knows Lindsey Lohan is all about coke. its all a matter of exposure.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 138
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Yesterday in the US Open a guy hit a bad tee shot and got pissed and slammed his club on the ground. It broke and cut his hand. I dont think he got a fine. When you play at that level and you count on the money so you can continue touring you expect yourself to play great golf not just good golf. I am sure all of us have flipped out on the course. None of us is as good as Nikko and we have not experienced the pressure of being a touring pro.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTyler View Post
Yesterday in the US Open a guy hit a bad tee shot and got pissed and slammed his club on the ground. It broke and cut his hand. I dont think he got a fine. When you play at that level and you count on the money so you can continue touring you expect yourself to play great golf not just good golf. I am sure all of us have flipped out on the course. None of us is as good as Nikko and we have not experienced the pressure of being a touring pro.
He got fined 50K and messed up his hand. That was worth it....

Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
I don't think its very professional to be throwing that kind of fit. If someone does that once or twice in a blue moon, then maybe it can be looked passed, but I have heard of Nikko doing this quite a bit.

A lil loud and mad doesn't mean you kick your bag and swear loudly near the gallery. A short grunt is fine and understood, but much more than that just isn't professional IMO.

And yea, I can say that I don't blow up over a bad shot. There isn't anything riding on my shots besides a little pride, so what is there to blow up over?
ok but you arent playing for a lot of money and your not a touring pro who is expected to play great for his sponsors and for him self so ya i do think its ok to blow up every now and then and yes blowing up aver every little shot that didnt go your way is kinda immature but once again he is playing for ALOT of money most of the time not plastic or vouchers to buy merch..this is his job so ya its ok to get mad over bad shots that cost him money basically