Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 38
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tee Box Question

The group of guys I play with came up with this issue while I was away. We know the rules state that you can throw up to 3 meters (nine feet) BEHIND a tee box, but what are the legal rules about the sides of a tee box? We always played, like ball golf, that the disc had to pass through both sides (right edge and left edge of the front of the tee box) of the tee box. This keeps in the play the direction that the course creator had in mind for the first throw. Is this correct? Or can a player step and/or throw from the sides of a tee box? For example; Can someone step out 3 meters from the edge of a tee box and three meters behind it or does that change the entire position of the tee box altogether?

What is the correct, legal answer? Not casual, but correct answer? Thanks for any and all input and help.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

As far as I know, in a tournament setting it is up to the TD. They can slide the teeing area left or right if they feel it will create a safer throwing surface. I've seen it a few times on temp holes with natural surfaces.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 101
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

No, that is not correct. If I am interpreting your post correctly, you are playing as if there was a double mando on the two front corners of every teepad. This is not the case (in fact, not all teepads are even rectangular in shape, so it would be impossible to be consistent). In fact, the rules make no restrictions on the direction you have to throw a disc.

The bigger problem with your scenario is your background story. According to the rules, you cannot legally throw from behind (or beside) a teepad; all supporting points must be in the teeing area, otherwise it is a foot fault.

Hope that answers your question and clears some things up.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 131
Niced 183 Times in 95 Posts

803.02 Teeing Off:A. Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, at least one of the player’s supporting points must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all the player’s supporting points must be within the teeing area. If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending back three meters from each end of the front line. The front line of the teeing area includes the outside edges of the two tee markers. Running up from behind the teeing area before the disc is released is permitted. Following through in front of the teeing area is permitted provided there is no supporting point contact outside the teeing area when the disc is released.
B. Any supporting point contact outside the teeing area at the time of release constitutes a stance violation and shall be handled in accordance with sections 803.04 F, G and H.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

F. A stance violation must be clearly called within three seconds after the infraction to be valid. The call may be made by any member of the group or an official. When the call is made by a member of the group, it must subsequently be confirmed by another member of the group. A player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a stance rule in the round.
Subsequent violations of a stance rule in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty.
G. Any throw that involves a validly called and seconded stance violation may not be used by the thrower. Re-throws must be taken from the original lie, prior to subsequent play by others in the group.
H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

In the context of these rules, how is "supporting point" defined?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm understanding that ALL of the player's body must be within the tee box, or imagined tee box line if no box exists.

So for example, what about if a player places his foot on the back edge(3 meters from tee box front) and stretches out as far as he/she could and throws, The disc does not need to pass through the front of the tee......is that correct? You are right, we were using the front of the tee box as twin mandos, I guess, and I am reading that this was wrong.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Supporting point would be you feet if you're not sitting, laying or doing one handed pushups.

When I release the disc on a hard drive, I only have one supporting point (my right foot) on the ground. If you have both feet on the ground when you release the disc, both must be on the tee pad (or in the tee area if there is no pad).
Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygfaninva View Post
So I'm understanding that ALL of the player's body must be within the tee box, or imagined tee box line if no box exists.

So for example, what about if a player places his foot on the back edge(3 meters from tee box front) and stretches out as far as he/she could and throws, The disc does not need to pass through the front of the tee......is that correct? You are right, we were using the front of the tee box as twin mandos, I guess, and I am reading that this was wrong.
The front of the tee box is not a mando. You could throw it at a 90 degree angle off of the tee if you so desire.

It doesn't say "all of the body". It says "supporting points".

Old 09-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
Supporting point would be you feet if you're not sitting, laying or doing one handed pushups.

When I release the disc on a hard drive, I only have one supporting point (my right foot) on the ground. If you have both feet on the ground when you release the disc, both must be on the tee pad (or in the tee area if there is no pad).
OK, sarcasm aside, I see that BOTH feet need to be in the tee box area when disc is thrown. So stretching out is a no go, BUT the disc can fly in any direction as long as both (or one if one foot is off the ground) feet are on the tee box (or tee area if no complete box available). Is that correct?