Old 04-19-2021, 03:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 152
Niced 968 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Who among the top players would be favored higher in 8.5 rounds versus 5? In other words, would you rank players' odds of winning in 5 rounds different from your ranking for 8.5 rounds?
Anecdotally? I would. Could I accept being proven wrong on this statistically? Sure. But 8.5 rounds of golf seems to be more stable than 5.

That doesn't even take into account that we seem pretty standardized, at that level, at 18 holes per round now. I'm kinda irked I can't seem to see the layouts used for old worlds.. but, for example, were there not 24 hole layouts for 2008 Worlds in Michigan? So we're not only talking about a world where we're playing fewer rounds, but we're also now locked in to no longer using 24 hole layouts.

(if additional holes weren't used for Pro Worlds in earlier years, excuse my mistake, but based on courses used - I assume there were)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2021, 04:04 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32.1
Courses Played: 713
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,108 Times in 1,289 Posts

The Bay Area 2011 Pro Worlds used four 27-hole layouts. The 2000 Pro-Am Worlds in Michigan used three 24s and three 18s. I can't remember if Coldbrook and/or Timber Ridge were played as 24s in the 2008 KZoo-BC Worlds.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-19-2021, 04:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
The Bay Area 2011 Pro Worlds used four 27-hole layouts. The 2000 Pro-Am Worlds in Michigan used three 24s and three 18s. I can't remember if Coldbrook and/or Timber Ridge were played as 24s in the 2008 KZoo-BC Worlds.
I think a better way of responding to your initial post is...
Would I rank the competitors differently? No.
But would I expect the results to go according to the rankings in a longer event? Much more so than in the shorter event.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 868 Times in 398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
Anyone 21 and younger would have better odds at 8.5 rounds.
Strongly disagree.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,594 Times in 1,411 Posts

Quote:
Who among the top players would be favored higher in 8.5 rounds versus 5? In other words, would you rank players' odds of winning in 5 rounds different from your ranking for 8.5 rounds?
The same players will be favored but imo the odds of someone other than the favorites winning decreases with every added round.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,594 Times in 1,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
Anyone 21 and younger would have better odds at 8.5 rounds.
Nah. Other than Hokom the top players are still in their athletic prime- no advantage to the young 'uns there- just more chances for them to be inconsistent.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Nah. Other than Hokom the top players are still in their athletic prime- no advantage to the young 'uns there- just more chances for them to be inconsistent.
Hokom and Cat.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:56 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 644 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
I don't think Greg wins 2018 worlds if it was 8.5 rounds versus the 5 they played. Eventually Paul would have caught him during round 6 or 7, the same way the Champ would do to his competition during his 12 open wins. That's just an opinion, but if I'm betting a hundred bucks that's what I'm going with. Could be wrong, but my hunch tells me otherwise.

Back to topic, Steady Ed has always said, he who has the most fun wins. I'm not Paige, but if I was in her shoes, I'd be having fun, enjoying myself, taking it easy, soaking in the moments and letting it rip come game time. Let everything else fall where it may. Win lose oh well. You don't get time back and you get old quick. If she isn't careful she's going to look back on these years and think she took everything far too seriously and didn't have enough fun and enjoyment along the way.

That advice doesn't just go for her, it goes for all of you too.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 04-20-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Back to topic, Steady Ed has always said, he who has the most fun wins. I'm not Paige, but if I was in her shoes, I'd be having fun, enjoying myself, taking it easy, soaking in the moments and letting it rip come game time. Let everything else fall where it may. Win lose oh well. You don't get time back and you get old quick. If she isn't careful she's going to look back on these years and think she took everything/winning far too seriously and didn't have enough fun and enjoyment along the way.

That advice doesn't just go for her, it goes for all of you too.
Everyone has their own path. Plenty of people who would look back on the same years as wasted if they took your attitude on. We aren't all driven by the same things, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:04 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 644 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Everyone has their own path. Plenty of people who would look back on the same years as wasted if they took your attitude on. We aren't all driven by the same things, and shouldn't be treated as such.
Time spent enjoyed is time not wasted. There is a documentary floating around I'll try and dig it up later where they talked to a whole bunch of people on their death beds about their life regrets. The one common theme and most talked about response, and something I'll certainly never forget, is that they all said, without fail, that they spent far too much time working, careerism, and taking things far too seriously and not enough time for themselves, family and friends, having fun and enjoying the moments as they came.

You're right though, everyone isn't driven by the same things.