Old 04-19-2021, 06:28 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Question Crosswinds WITH head or tailwind?

I've been working on becoming one with the wind and not cursing it.

What I can't seem to get easily is how and what to throw on a COMBINATION of a crosswind and head or tailwind.

Can someone please bullet point this for me?

What does the wind do to the following, and what disc/type of throw is best for these scenarios? RHBH and RHFH please.

1. Headwind with RIGHT to LEFT crosswind
2. Headwind with LEFT to RIGHT crosswind
3. Tailwind with RIGHT to LEFT crosswind
4. Tailwind with LEFT to RIGHT crosswind

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2021, 06:41 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 33
Niced 704 Times in 246 Posts

With the exception of disc selection this is all you'll need. Reverse for forehand.

Last edited by zenbot; 04-19-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:44 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
This is all you'll need. Reverse for forehand.
I've read that several times, but I still can't seem to grasp how the combo of a head/tail with a crosswind should be treated.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:00 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 33
Niced 704 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discugsting View Post
I've read that several times, but I still can't seem to grasp how the combo of a head/tail with a crosswind should be treated.

There are several pages to that article. Did you read them all?
Old 04-19-2021, 08:29 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 346
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,889 Times in 2,484 Posts

Quote:
With the exception of disc selection this is all you'll need. Reverse for forehand.
I've found that diagram (Quarterwinds) to be incredibly helpful.in understanding how wind will affect a disc.

The thing to remember is what part of the flight plate a given release will present to the wind.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 609 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
That article (diagrams) almost reads like a less stable disc is always the preferred choice, or at least the most direct line, for L or R head cross and right to left tail. If it’s a left to right tail, then still throw understable, but forehand.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 113
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Like to think of it more of as riding or breaking into the "wind wall". Not trying to fight back and forth but picking your riding lines and pivoting into points.

Ever held a disc flat loosely in your hand into head wind? Theres a point where u can point it nose down and it will not want to take off.

2 different thoughts there, but think path of less resistance. Learning multiple shot styles is the way to go

Niced: (1)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:13 AM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

-disc will rise and become more understable, disc will be pushed to the left. This is why an overstable disc is often used to combat the wind's tendency to make it understable.
Anhyzer the wind will hit the top of the disc and push it down. Hyzer, the wind will hit the bottom of the plate and lift it.

-Same as 1 but the anhyzer and hyzer shots have reverse effect, anhyzer will lift, hyzers will drop

-disc will drop and become more overstable, can get more carry. This is why an understable disc is often used to counteract the wind's tendency to make the flight overstable.
Anhyzer the wind will hit the top of the disc and push it down. Hyzer, the wind will hit the bottom of the plate and lift it.

-Same as 3 but the anhyzer and hyzer shots have reverse effect, anhyzer will lift, hyzers will drop.

Key points are that headwind makes a disc more understable and rise and tailwind makes them more overstable and drop. So choose a disc that counteracts that tendency and aim higher or lower to counteract the rise or drop. For crosswinds just think of how the wind hits the disc when thrown on different angles. If it hits the bottom it will push it in the direction the wind is going. If it hits the top it will push it down in the direction the wind is going.

Think this is correct, feel free to correct me anyone.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 609 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlan View Post
-disc will rise and become more understable, disc will be pushed to the left. This is why an overstable disc is often used to combat the wind's tendency to make it understable.

-Same as 1 but the anhyzer and hyzer shots have reverse effect, anhyzer will lift, hyzers will drop

-disc will drop and become more overstable, can get more carry. This is why an understable disc is often used to counteract the wind's tendency to make the flight overstable.

-Same as 3 but the anhyzer and hyzer shots have reverse effect, anhyzer will lift, hyzers will drop.

Key points are that headwind makes a disc more understable and rise and tailwind makes them more overstable and drop. So choose a disc that counteracts that tendency and aim higher or lower to counteract the rise or drop. For crosswinds just think of how the wind hits the disc when thrown on different angles. If it hits the bottom it will push it in the direction the wind is going. If it hits the top it will push it down in the direction the wind is going.

Think this is correct, feel free to correct me anyone.
Problem is this year every tee has a head-cross-tail-cross wind. I’ve played 5 holes in a row with tees every direction and always felt a head l-to-r wind. Even with parallel holes: head one direction, head coming back.

Where’s the guide to swirl-wind shots?