Old 04-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 140 Times in 88 Posts

Bag Since Last Update (4 rounds):
3x Omega (1.2 Lunar Super Soft & 1.19 Super Soft)- 110 total throws (98 putts). I may switch back to Delta T Omegas here soon as the temperatures rise, but I am really putting well with these over the past month or so.
2x Pig (R-Pro & 2020 Wysocki Glow)- 31 throws.
4x Roc (DX, KC Pro, & Quantum Taurus)- 4 throws. I barely threw Rocs leading up to today's tournament, but they served me very well this event.
1x Gator3 (Joel Freeman Champion)- 10 throws. I am way more fond of this mold than I was the MD5.
2x JLS (no run MJLS, 1.3 Sirius)- 6 throws.
3x OLF (1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF, & 1.1 SOLF)- 10 throws.
4x Firebird (Champion, GStar & '19 Sexton)- 26 throws.
1x Hades (ESP Prototype)- 2 throws. I'm starting to think the Hades may be on the chopping block in the near future, as I rarely throw one.
2x Xcal (PFN Star)- 12 throws.

I played my first tournament in MPO earlier today, a flex start up in Larkspur at the Ponderosa course. This was a nice and easy way to get into MPO events, as I was able to play with some friends from league. Overall I played really well, with the exception of one hole, which I double bogeyed. In the end, I tied for 5th place out of 26, and earned cash in my first open event. I really don't care about Am Worlds and the like, so I'm taking my small payout, and making the jump to MPO from here on in.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-15-2021, 04:38 PM
Birdie Member

Cumulative stats for 2021:

1.Firebird- 178 throws. 25.61% of throws
2.Pig- 150 throws. 21.58% of throws
3.Omega- 101 throws & 676 putts (777 total). 14.53% of throws
4.OLF- 75 throws. 10.79% of throws
5.Xcal- 61 throws. 8.78% of throws
6.Roc- 52 throws. 7.48% of throws
7.Gator3- 36 throws. 5.18% of throws
8.JLS- 26 throws. 3.74% of throws
9.Hades- 16 throws. 2.30% of throws

I have decided to pull the Hades from my lineup, since I have barely thrown it during 2021. The OLF flies within 10-20' in distance for me BH, and I need a pretty strong tailwind to throw it FH. Most of my throws with the Hades this year have been on a water carry where I don't want to risk losing an XCal. I can't imagine that I will miss the Hades very much, but I may keep one in the car, just in case I were to play a mountain course. Anytime a bagged disc falls below the 3% of my throws threshold, it is probably an unnecessary addition to my lineup.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:51 PM
Birdie Member

Bag Since Last Update (3 rounds):
3x Omega (1.2 Lunar Super Soft & 1.19 Super Soft)- 91 total throws (82 putts).
2x Pig (R-Pro)- 21 throws.
4x Roc (DX, KC Pro, & Quantum Taurus)- 7 throws.
1x Gator3 (Joel Freeman Champion)- 10 throws.
2x JLS (no run MJLS, 1.3 Sirius)- 5 throws.
3x OLF (1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF, & 1.1 SOLF)- 4 throws.
3x Firebird (Champion, GStar & '19 Sexton)- 13 throws.
3x Xcal (PFN Star & Star)- 9 throws.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:29 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 612 Times in 348 Posts

Just a curious question. Do you find your Pigs and that Gator3 to have some overlap?
Old 04-19-2021, 06:50 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Just a curious question. Do you find your Pigs and that Gator3 to have some overlap?
The overlap between the two molds is minimal, when I had the MD5 in my bag there was quite a bit of overlap between it and my Pigs. One of my Pigs is very beat at this point, so it doesn't have much fade left at all. The other is a fresh R-Pro that I just put in this past week, but the Gator3 is still much more OS. The Gator3 is perfect for throwing Pig lines with a ripping headwind. They are also great for shorter range Firebird shots, where you don't want much ground play. Sometimes, when powering down a Firebird, the skip action would be too much, leaving me farther away from the pin or landing zone I wanted. The Gator3 has been a very intuitive disc for me thus far. I am very much a FH dominant player, so I really am pleased with this addition to my bag, but for someone who throws mostly BH, I'd imagine that Pigs, Gator3s, and Firebirds might overlap a bit.

Last edited by HERB brooks; 04-19-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:24 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 612 Times in 348 Posts

Thanks for the insight.

I bagged the Gator3 for about a year when it first came out. When the Pig went in the bag they had a lot of overlap to the point one of them had to go and I could range distances better with the Pig. Im predominantly a BH player though and hadnt given any thought to how they might both be viable for a FH shot.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:15 PM
Birdie Member

Bag Since Last Update (2 rounds):
3x Omega (1.2 Lunar Super Soft & 1.19 Super Soft)- 56 total throws (52 putts). Lunar Super Softs serve as my cold weather putter lineup, soon to be replaced by Delta T for the summer months. The 1.19 is starting to get a bit too beat for my liking, so I may have to switch it out for one of my backup Omegas.
2x Pig (R-Pro)- 9 throws. One fresh and one beat, they pair really well for approach shots and shorter tee shots. If I need an OS approach, the Pigs are what I reach for 95% of the time both BH and FH. I will also putt in headwinds with the beat Pig.
4x Roc (DX, KC Pro, & Quantum Taurus)- 4 throws. I cheat a little bit calling the Quantum Taurus a Roc, but really it is just a RocX and flies like a Champion Roc that costs less money. Its pretty much just a #1 Roc that will cost you 14 bucks instead of 25, so I'll continue to roll with it as my OS bookend Roc. I also bag a newer KC Pro and two DX Rocs to complete the cycle (these are my #2-4 Rocs). I don't have one beat enough to be a true #5. Anytime I get one fairly close I tend to lose them. I would definitely like to finally have a #5 Roc at some point.
1x Gator3 (Joel Freeman Champion)- 3 throws. I use the Gator3 when I need a flex FH, spike hyzer BH or I'm facing a strong headwind, but need an OS finish. Typically this disc will hit and sit like a Pig, but has a stronger fade like a Firebird. I don't find there to be too much overlap between the three molds, and am very pleased with this new addition to my bag.
2x JLS (no run MJLS, 1.3 Sirius)- 1 throw. I will typically lean on the Sirius JLS and neglect the MJLS in my bag. The MJLS is quite flippy and is not likely to leave the bag, but I rarely feel like its the best play. If I could ever figure out BH rollers, it would be a money disc for that shot.
3x OLF (1.1 MOLF, 1.3 MOLF, & 1.1 SOLF)- 4 throws. I may shelf the 1.3 MOLF at some point this year, but I feel like these three discs complement each other very well. If I am throwing a BH shot anywhere from 325-400' these are what I'll reach for. They are more situational for my FH, I tend to use them in tailwinds or for hyzerflip to turnover lines in the woods. I used to be much better at throwing them FH, but I just tend to lean on my Firebirds more now, as they are more predictable and will keep me in the fairway reliably.
3x Firebird (Champion & GStar)- 16 throws. The GStar is my workhorse at the moment, I'm trying to beat that one in and have a more subtle fade with it. I'm also bagging an older PFN 12x that is insanely beat so the flight pattern resembles a Valkyrie with strong fade at the end of its flight. I can get that disc to flip up from hyzer, ride turn through a gap, then bite back with an OS finish. The third is a flat top champion, for headwinds, FH rollers, spike hyzer, etc...
3x Xcal (PFN Star & Star)- 10 throws. I added in an embossed Star beefcake as my third Xcal. The two PFN Xcals pair nicely for straight to fade shots, as one will ride anny longer than the other, giving me options on Xcal shots. I will occasionally throw the more beat PFN BH, but these are mostly FH discs.

I have a couple flex start events coming up in the next few weeks, and doubt that I will play a multiple round event until the beginning of July. After the couple of flex starts, I plan to replace my bagged putters with Delta T Omegas, since these Lunars are too soft in summer temperatures. I'll also switch out my Sirius JLS for a 1.2 QJLS and am likely to rotate in some new Rocs. My setup is feeling really solid at the moment, and I don't anticipate any drastic changes for a while.

Last edited by HERB brooks; 05-03-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 764 Times in 408 Posts
Default Herb's 2021 ITB

So funny I was just thinking today that I dont have a true #5 Roc. I think I just dont throw them enough to beat one in to that #5 slot. I throw them a lot in field work, and I love their flight, but my backhand is a work in progress, so in tourneys/scored rounds Im usually throwing a hyzer flip sidearm with an eagle or OLF

Old 05-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
So funny I was just thinking today that I dont have a true #5 Roc. I think I just dont throw them enough to beat one in to that #5 slot. I throw them a lot in field work, and I love their flight, but my backhand is a work in progress, so in tourneys/scored rounds Im usually throwing a hyzer flip sidearm with an eagle or OLF
I also don't throw my Rocs enough to beat one into a #5 quickly enough for my liking. The most flippy Roc currently in my bag has been a #4 for about two years now, since I rarely will throw it compared to the other 3 Rocs I bag. Like you, I tend to rely on my FH instead of throwing turnovers with my #4 Roc. My BH game is mostly based hyzer or hyzer flip lines and I will just trust my superior FH if I need the disc to finish right.

I often tell myself that I am going to play rounds with Rocs and putters only, but I never seem to do so. This would probably help me to beat in a few Rocs to #5s, as I would be likely to hit some trees throughout a round of BH only with a Roc.