Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 04-19-2021, 07:59 PM

Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

Learning to throw solid anhyzers like James Conrad would probably be the best advice. It is wicked fun to throw with both hands, but I'm naturally ambidextrous. 99% of people aren't.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2021, 11:59 AM

Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

There’s actually a story behind my own ambidexterity. I was one of the last of the school children in my home town of Coventry in England to be forced to write right handed. I was actually born left handed. My penmanship has always been atrocious as a result. The strict school teacher I had likely caused all kinds of neurological problems, with her obscene ignorance.

That seems to be the way of things. With education everything gets better. Don’t trust any advice other than Sidewinder22, or anyone he approves of. He knows how this stuff works for certain. He has made the videos in a drill format. You just need to do the work and trust that he does know what he’s talking about. Because he does. I can throw forehand and backhand easily a hundred feet farther that I could have ever dreamed of before finding this site.

Thanks Sidewinder22

Old 04-20-2021, 02:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 831 Times in 413 Posts

My brother went through the everyone has to be a righty thing in elementary school. They thought he was a slow learner. Turned out he was just left handed. This was in the 60’s.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 5
Niced 794 Times in 419 Posts

SW22 mentioned skipping stones - I used to skip stones all the time as a kid. Have you tried skipping rocks to learn the motion. Having a serviceable forehand is really important IMO
Old 04-20-2021, 06:42 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
SW22 mentioned skipping stones - I used to skip stones all the time as a kid. Have you tried skipping rocks to learn the motion. Having a serviceable forehand is really important IMO
I agree, it is important. Too many shots where you need that ending fade opposite your backhand.

Which is why I'm so annoyed that it's proving more difficult than I ever thought it would. I used to skip stones as well, and I have a decent V-fingered snap approach for < 100' shots.

But anything beyond that, using a power grip or the usual stacked index/middle, comes out with atrocious flutter. And I hurt my wrist trying the "more spin will solve everything" idea. No. Fast or slow spin, it comes out uneven with those grips for me. There's some key to the release that I'm just not getting yet. But I will eventually, I'm sure in less time than it would take to fake being left-handed!
Old 04-20-2021, 10:27 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 152 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscopic View Post
Learning to throw solid anhyzers like James Conrad would probably be the best advice. It is wicked fun to throw with both hands, but I'm naturally ambidextrous. 99% of people aren't.
This subject is fascinating to me.

I thought for a long time I was ambidextrous, but now I'm not sure.

I grew up with a strongly left handed mom and no dad during most of the formative years.

Everything I learned at home as a kid I do left handed.

Everything I learned at school I do right handed.

Even throwing a frisbee is mixed for me.
I throw RHBH and LHFH which obviously is not too beneficial, but I can't throw RHFH or LHBH to save my life.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 831 Times in 413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddball View Post
I agree, it is important. Too many shots where you need that ending fade opposite your backhand.

Which is why I'm so annoyed that it's proving more difficult than I ever thought it would. I used to skip stones as well, and I have a decent V-fingered snap approach for < 100' shots.

But anything beyond that, using a power grip or the usual stacked index/middle, comes out with atrocious flutter. And I hurt my wrist trying the "more spin will solve everything" idea. No. Fast or slow spin, it comes out uneven with those grips for me. There's some key to the release that I'm just not getting yet. But I will eventually, I'm sure in less time than it would take to fake being left-handed!
Working on the same issue.

Flutter is lack of spin. When you (I) try to add power, we lose wrist snap. So, you’ve got to focus on relaxing the wrist as the arm comes forward so it flexes and can still snap at release.

Keep practicing that.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 5
Niced 794 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddball View Post

I think a lot of people overdue it with the active wrist when throwing sidearm. Just like with backhand, you want to really feel the weight of the disc and lead with the elbow so your forearm/disc unit lag behind. The snap is created by bracing and letting the forearm swing through. It’s easy to pop 100 foot shots with all wrist, but if you want more distance you need to feel more like you are swinging a sledgehammer one handed and dingle arm it
Old 04-21-2021, 09:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 170 Times in 105 Posts

I am predominantly LHBH. I like to mix in a little RHBH, it seems like this uses so many different body parts that it could reduce wear and tear. At the same time, I think some FH is beneficial for the reasons stated by others, especially in tight spots.

In a perfect world, I'd like to have good BH with both arms off the tee, and a serviceable LHFH for scramble/utility shots.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 628 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowLegs View Post
I am predominantly LHBH. I like to mix in a little RHBH, it seems like this uses so many different body parts that it could reduce wear and tear. At the same time, I think some FH is beneficial for the reasons stated by others, especially in tight spots.

In a perfect world, I'd like to have good BH with both arms off the tee, and a serviceable LHFH for scramble/utility shots.
You are correct. In the Jonesboro tournament, JoMez coverage said Eagle made a decision to throw fewer forehands because they were shortening his career. In his YTvids, he throws a lot of lefty. By next season we might see Eagle tee off LHBH where he used to throw sidearm.

But... big Jerm (and others) hasn’t suffered from his forehand, so I guess it depends