Old 03-30-2021, 07:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 6,857 Times in 2,564 Posts

There pros and cons to the growth. I don't deny the cons.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2021, 08:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,086 Times in 487 Posts

I've only played 3 or 4 years. I accept that my knowledge of the sport is really limited, but I have a hard time seeing any of the pros.

Conceptually, more demand equals more courses. However, there is a finite amount of land and there is a massive housing shortage. I don't really see anybody tearing down subdivisions or miles of packed retail businesses to build disc golf courses.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 45
Niced 39 Times in 22 Posts

Crazy
I was on vacation 2 years ago and visited a pro level course and had it all to myself. This year on vacation I went back to the same course expecting the same. Night and day difference. Over a hundred people playing, on a 90+ degree day.

About half of the players were your typical regular players and the other half were most definitely newer with only a few discs in hand. Great to see the large multi-use park filled with 90% disc golfers only. Maybe not so great for the regular local golfers who have to wait for them.

As a private course owner it’s kinda cool. If I would to open up my course more I always wonder if I could actually make a somewhat living from this. Idk if it would be worth the headaches though.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:46 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,108 Times in 1,168 Posts

Let's face it.... casual family oriented disc golf is the perceived sport for the rest of us. You don't need to be in shape, you don't need to jump high, be strong, run fast, catch or kick a ball, etc. Throw in some bonus points for hiking, nature watching, and it really is no surprise it's taking off as a family oriented past time. The pandemic may certainly exploded the awareness of it, but I think it's here to stay. Fwiw...I'm also an avid outdoorsman and I've seen disc golf listed as an outdoor activity on the same pages as fishing or hunting.

I just wish we could somehow force those family outings to use nothing but regular frisbees. They would probably throw them further and have alot more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyv View Post
As a private course owner it’s kinda cool. If I would to open up my course more I always wonder if I could actually make a somewhat living from this. Idk if it would be worth the headaches though.
If you're close enough to busy courses, I would look into it. You could possibly charge a premium to play as the regulars would probably be willing to get off the crowded courses.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 96
Niced 3,580 Times in 1,418 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I've only played 3 or 4 years. I accept that my knowledge of the sport is really limited, but I have a hard time seeing any of the pros.

Conceptually, more demand equals more courses. However, there is a finite amount of land and there is a massive housing shortage. I don't really see anybody tearing down subdivisions or miles of packed retail businesses to build disc golf courses.
I think it depends on your area. In my area we have courses that get packed but all we have to do is go to a different course. We have that many here.

The finite amount of land applies to big cities, the surrounding areas are where all the courses are. I can tell you to come to Cincinnati for disc golf and you will only find 2 courses INSIDE Cincinnati that are worth playing. But you will find plenty of very playable courses close by.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,604 Times in 1,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

But at least the nuisance of crowded courses has bought us a much bigger selection of courses to play. I doubt we'd have seen the boom in public and private courses, without the players.

I inevitably wonder: at what point in the past, do we wish the gates had closed? If the guys complaining about growth in 2003 had had their way and halted it, would we be happier with the disc golf landscape, today?
I don't really recall people complaining about growth the entire time but YMMV. IMO crowded courses are going to be much more than a nuisance very soon. If you look slightly to the north of me the courses in Northern Virginia were, with one exception, built to be played with Frisbees by a limited amount of players. They have every safety concern you could imagine. There is zero chance I would install anything like those courses today but they are getting played by tons of beginners with discs like destroyers and bosses even though they are very short by modern standards. (The thing I wish the gates had closed on is disc technology. We would be much better off if the movement to wider and wider rims was cut off around 2000.)

I personally have played only a handful of casual rounds at public courses in months and months and don't really foresee going back to doing so.

There is a new public course not far from here which put in some sketchy/dangerous holes against my advice. 2 people were struck in the past couple weeks. I can see a worst case scenario where we lose a lot of public park courses over similar issues.

Niced: (4)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:14 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 346
Niced 5,908 Times in 2,492 Posts

< hardcore disc golfer before it was chic
Old 03-30-2021, 09:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 6,857 Times in 2,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post

First pro: you're playing. If we'd stopped the growth 5 or 10 years ago, you wouldn't be part of it now.

Second pro: more courses. As others said, this may run against a wall in metropolitan areas. My small state has seen an explosion in new courses, probably doubled in 10 years. More variety, less driving. Plenty of parks still left to add public courses, and big growth in private courses, on individual and corporate land.

My question is, what date in the past should disc golf have stopped growing? Most people's answer is something like, "When I started." Maybe we'll look back one day and say, "2019", but I rather doubt it. We'll fondly remember less-crowded courses, but not the time when many of those courses didn't exist.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38
Courses Played: 252
Niced 6,179 Times in 2,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Let's face it.... casual family oriented disc golf is the perceived sport for the rest of us. You don't need to be in shape, you don't need to jump high, be strong, run fast, catch or kick a ball, etc. Throw in some bonus points for hiking, nature watching, and it really is no surprise it's taking off as a family oriented past time. The pandemic may certainly exploded the awareness of it, but I think it's here to stay. Fwiw...I'm also an avid outdoorsman and I've seen disc golf listed as an outdoor activity on the same pages as fishing or hunting.

I just wish we could somehow force those family outings to use nothing but regular frisbees. They would probably throw them further and have alot more fun.

If you're close enough to busy courses, I would look into it. You could possibly charge a premium to play as the regulars would probably be willing to get off the crowded courses.
This is where the game is headed. This is, and really always has been, where the growth of the game comes from. IMO, that is why smaller baskets, huge longer ball golf course are not a big part of the growth formula. We get caught up here, because of our engagement, but the above discussions are about 200 players in the world. In the meantime, discussions at the club levels of our game, are about finding ways to put in park courses for the new players and families that are coming into the game. That is what we should be having 500 page discussion about.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:24 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 346
Niced 5,908 Times in 2,492 Posts

Not to thread drift, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyv View Post
I imagine you'd have to be located closer to more of the population for that to be feasible.

And therein lies the rub. To generate enough traffic to turn a decent profit, you need to be easily accessible to more people... which means property closer to population centers, which is usually much more expensive.

Yes, more people are playing now than ever, but I wouldn't plan on quitting your day job just yet.

However, I could see it being a enjoyable way to supplement your income during retirement, given that the cost of installing the course was incurred already, and it's just a matter of maintaining it, which presumably you'd have more time to do.

Just my $0.02.

Niced: (3)