Old 04-04-2021, 05:07 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Need Form check & Analysis please

Hi everyone,

I want to get good, like really really good. Throw far, accurately and win games and go under par as well. I am practicing throwing accurately and also throwing far to see what is the max distance I can reach currently and that is 345 ft. I am throwing 320-345 ft constantly and would like to receive your help in improving my form, distance and accuracy for the shots.

Discs I have:
  • Ricky Wysocki Innova Star Destroyer 173.5g
  • Ricky Wysocki Innova Star Destroyer 170g
  • Innova Pro Valkyrie (replaced by star destroyer because it's too flippy, even on insane hyzer angle)
  • MVP Tesla (Replaced by star destroyer because I cannot get this disc to go any further. It's stable but I can't reach 300 ft with it)
  • Westside Discs World (Replaced by star destroyer because it's too flippy just like Valkyrie and beat in which is the cause of this)

Recommendations one stranger who I played with and was very friendly gave me:
  • He recommended Thunderbird because my arm speed is around 40-50mph (64-80 kph)

Please check and critique my form and advise what should I do to improve my game and distance.

Back view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6q7ybB2Nr0
Side view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubahz49kM6o
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2021, 05:18 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I forgot to mention in my post that I am throwing 2x star destroyers as red discs and 3 Innova champion mako3's aka blue discs in the video.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 75 Times in 62 Posts

The first thing I notice is that you’re turning around early and backing up to your throw. Try and keep eyes on the target and body addressing target more until you begin your plant stride (last step) then allow yourself to look away and turn back in sync with your stride.

The next obvious thing to me is the rounding. Your upper arm on the throwing arm collapses to your chest which is a power killer. Try to keep the upper arm at least 90 degrees to your collarbone, no less, throughout the whole throw.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 234
Niced 5,195 Times in 3,079 Posts

Yeah, turning back and forth too early. Plant foot is wide open and arm hugs your chest instead of disc.

See #3 Best Throwing Practices. Put down the high speed drivers and work on fundamental from standstill/small step like a batter.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=126516
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...99#post2899399

Old 04-05-2021, 07:45 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

This weekend I'll try to fix those problems and show the video here to see whether my issue got fixed or whether I got more issues to fix.

Currently I cannot practice as I'm busy with work and don't have much time after work.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:27 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

Here is the video of me throwing all midranges I have on standstill position. Sorry for the quality though. I will be getting a new camera soon.

I have analyzed my previous video with above video here and I can see myself not hugging anymore. Shoulder height is a bit more up, elbow is 90 degrees close to the chest but I did not notice any distance gain though?

I also went out to play at disc golf park and first round was awful but 4 rounds later I had a blast. It was fun to play with midranges only. I was playing with scores. Not good but can be better.

I am also using this stance for my standstill shots.
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QFnI_hagnASonWGiI9hRauU5N9tWu7qZ/view?usp=sharing>

How I hold the disc always (RHBH):
My middle finger is also hurting a lot from side. Here's the image of how my middle finger side looks like. It's rock hard and smooth as hecc surface.
My disc rips out from middle finger. Since the pain is huge after throwing the discs for 6 hours. I decided to give a try to see if I could rip from my index finger and yes I can. But same result of pain will be achieved shortly if I keep ripping from it till it hurts.

Questions:
  • Am I developing callous to my middle finger?
  • Should I keep throwing the discs while enduring the pain after throws?
  • Has my form improved from my previous video (x-step) vs current video (standstill)?
  • Am I still hugging myself?
  • Is my shoulder height good?
  • Is my disc height good?
  • Is my elbow correctly 90 degrees as it should be with the rest of the arm?
  • Am I getting any weight shifts? When throwing I can't really feel it.
  • Is my syncronization with my arm and chest lagging behind? When chest is 90 degrees front then arm is still a bit behind or is that alright?
  • Is my standstill position okay?

I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me and I look forward to your replies.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:48 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Seems like there were some google drive permission problems.

Please see the below links again.

Quote:
I am also using this stance for my standstill shots.How I hold the disc always (RHBH):My middle finger is also hurting a lot from side. Here's the image of how my middle finger side looks like. It's rock hard and smooth as hecc surface.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:31 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I realized this too late but looks like clicking on the youtube does not work here or I shared the wrong link? If so then I'm sorry for inconvenience and sorry for spamming the replies...

Link is here for the slow-mo side view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndb_Ya2QvOg
Old 04-10-2021, 11:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 234
Niced 5,195 Times in 3,079 Posts

Your grip has your thumb very forward past the index finger and your index finger is scrunched up back with your other fingers. Try angling the disc in your hand different and giving more space between index and middle finger so the index is the rip/pivot finger. Try starting with the 2 finger grip, and then add other fingers.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 04-10-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 75 Times in 62 Posts

Still hugging a bit. The "arm lagging behind chest" you refer to is the hugging. The 90 degrees advice I gave wasn't for your elbow, it's the angle you want between your chest and upper arm. Elbow extension to flexion will change throughout the swing.

Right now your body is moving like a metronome.You'll want to eliminate the tipping back and forth in favor of a more upright torso throughout swing. I would do away with your initial rear foot step and instead just do SW's recommended standstill "footwork" which is just a step with your plant foot a few inches towards target like a baseball player, which will help you fell the shift youre lookin for.