Old 04-11-2021, 12:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 234
Niced 5,203 Times in 3,086 Posts

Your backswing motion pattern is all wrong. It's probably going to feel very weird to you to change your motion pattern and stay more upright center balanced. Let your arm/shoulder hang like a heavy wet towel and swing loose/extended back and forth or all the way around over your head/windmill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogonOY1DoHU#t=40m

1. Setup/address, not too shabby.

2. Backswing. You stepped your left foot back away from target and made a massive CoG shift back - This is a death move. Left foot needs to hold it's position/maintain leverage for the backswing to create torque. Note how my rear foot stayed in place while my CoG moved back a little, but actually starting to go back forward and turning back and front foot is striding forward with CoG.

3. Top of Backswing/transition. Note how far you have shifted and leaned back. Your Cog is at it's furthest point and you have peaked reachback, so everything is loaded all the way back together, instead of creating separation. Now note how far my CoG has shifted forward at the peak of my reachback/turn back.

4. Shift/brace. Note how your eyes are trying go to target instead of being patient shifting from behind and paying attention to disc/swing. Also note how your CoG is still behind your address/setup, so you really haven't shifted your mass forward in the totality of the whole event, even though your CoG has made a massive leap in the last two frames trying to catch back up, and not really able to brace up.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2021, 12:11 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I am back after practicing my throws at the field for a week. Today is an update on the video on how my form looks like currently. It truly feels like I'm throwing my midrange discs (buzzz OS, buzzz, champion mako3's) with no effort right now and they go 250 ft every time on hyzerflip shot except buzzz OS. That thing is a meathook and I can get it to 230 ft only.

I would once again want to ask for your review on my form.

Below video for 17/04/2021 shows how I threw this Saturday (I did not record myself everyday. Only Saturday and Sunday)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlwYCX_0jyw

I saw what I was doing different.
  • My spine was a bit tilted forward instead of being straight.
  • I was still hugging myself.
  • I did not have any gap between my legs when standing.

In the video below for 18/04/2021, I made some changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AVs7Fo_xM
  • Keep my spine straight.
  • Rotate my torso and shoulders and reachback as far as I can while keeping my spine straight.
  • Try to get a smooth and chill throwing technique.

But in the latest video I can see that I'm doing some mistakes:
  • Still hugging, maybe?
  • Reachback is not straight enough, maybe as well?
Summary:
1) Effortless shots that looks like they go as far as drivers from the release feeling but actually not because disc stops spinning fast.
2) Index finger is my rip off finger now. Below are the images of how I grip now after watching the grip video.
3) Body feels like liquid. It's not that stiff as it used to be. I'm more relaxed now.

Front view:

Back view:

Please advise me whether:
  • My form (looks / is) better compared to 04/17/2021 or not
  • The grip I use is correct or still needs some amending.
  • I'm still hugging or not?
  • My form needs more amending? I want to throw further than I am currently with the midranges I have.

Note: I tried to get YOUTUBE tag to work but it kept saying "an error occured, please try again" when trying to play the video in preview mode.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:46 PM

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Don't know alot about how to help you in regards to form but it looks like you're gripping the disc into the palm/Base and not putting the majority of the pressure into your index knuckle.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah ^, and thumb is too forward and close to wing.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...57&postcount=4

Looking much better overall with the motion pattern. You are over-twisting your torso with your left arm going behind your back/posterior, this is a death move and more likely to injure back. This starts to rotate your hips forward early and the left arm gets stuck back behind you and dragging your upper body too far behind the lower body. You try to use your left arm and over-twist because you aren't turning back enough from your hips.

The left arm should never end up moving away from the target, you are sending mass/energy in the wrong direction. Left arm should always move targetward to squeeze your body forward into/against the plant. Keep your left arm in front of your body anterior.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=124523

Old 04-19-2021, 06:50 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

Is this grip good to use? I checked the grip & alignment video and eventually came to this grip after trying many ways to get thumb and index finger to pressure one spot together.

Moving my index finger after holding that grip for few minutes or after the throw hurts a little bit. It stops hurting after a good round of warmup to it but still, kinda worried.

Am I applying too much force on my index finger first knuckle to start hurting?

Please advise.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 AM

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Imagine you're holding a pencil or a fork. It looks like you're holding it with all your fingers instead of holding more like you want to be more precise with more control if that makes sense.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:38 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I don't really get the holding the fork or pencil grip style. I tried it but feels like I don't have a full control of the disc.

Here's grip images after checking one of the videos for grip.

Is this grip good? It feels comfortable but holding it other ways is really uncomfortable. Should I just go out, try different grips and see what fits for me? Like trial and error?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Funny thing is I use all four fingers to write and fork and it feels just like my fan grip and how I grip the steering wheel on the 3-4 o'clock.

I like to keep my grip fairly relaxed and more out of the palm and more into the finger tips or pads.

Your 1st grip post pics doesn't look like a good hook on the index finger.

Your 2nd grip post pics look better.

I like to start with Robbie Bratten's 2 finger grip and feel control of the disc more out of the palm. Once you figure that out it's easy to modify to other grips keeping the same index/thumb relationship, but moving the other fingers around.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:57 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

With four fingers? Wow.

I use 2-3 three fingers when holding the pencil or finger. I'm not sure what fingers can you include when counting about how many fingers do you use to hold the fork or pencil.

Below are two videos of me holding the fork and pencil to show how I hold them and hopefully advance from there, like if that's my grip when holding the fork and pen then what should my grip be for the disc?

Pen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqys3lo545...73132.mp4?dl=0

Fork: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqys3lo545...73132.mp4?dl=0

I want to get the correct grip to improve my game along with form. Currently when I go to my disc, I automatically wrap it around with my fingers and palm. It's muscle memory at this point and hard to break

Thank you for your time and assistance in helping me with forms and grips.

Please continue to help me and advise.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Both your links are fork.