Old 04-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 182
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,227 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyVulture View Post
I actually have this argument weekly with a buddy of mine. Before I signed up for street team, I had bought a bunch of Prodigy discs. I knew what to look for and what to grab based on the naming system. Could anyone tell me what a Whale does? No? Well, I knew a Pa4 would be an understable putter.

Next, and this is the one I understand. Consistency run to run is a little off. I have an H2v2 that is exactly what you'd expect, but then I have one I use for rollers. Some say the color makes the difference, I dont know.

What I do love about them though, is that the Prodigy fan base seems to be very friendly, helpful and welcoming compared to others. That, and the feeling of the plastic is just straight up money.
I feel like the people who don't like the naming scheme just use that excuse as a reason not to throw prodigy. I think its a dumb excuse. The have good molds, people are just dumb.

Now for your whale comment. I would argue that if manufacturers are putting flight numbers on their discs then it doesn't matter much what the name of the disc is. Now if manufacturers just give you the name of the disc but don't give you flight numbers then I would think you would be more confused about how the disc is going to fly.

From my experience with prodigy sponsored players and street team members. They are the most cocky and and least friendly bunch of the major manufacturers. They have this "bro" mentality that they are better then everyone else and they think they are gods gifts to man. I have met really good people that are sponsored by prodigy just like I have met good and bad people from all manufacturers. Just for whatever reason, prodigy players are the least welcoming. In my opinion and experience.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Horsman; 04-19-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 71 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
I feel like the people who don't like the naming scheme just use that excuse as a reason not to throw prodigy. I think its a dumb excuse. The have good molds, people are just dumb.

Now for your whale comment. I would argue that if manufacturers are putting flight numbers on their discs then it doesn't matter much what the name of the disc is. Now if manufacturers just give you the name of the disc but don't give you flight numbers then I would think you would be more confused about how the disc is going to fly.

From my experience with prodigy sponsored players and street team members. They are the most cocky and and least friendly bunch of the major manufacturers. They have this "bro" mentality that they are better then everyone else and they think they are gods gifts to man. I have met really good people that are sponsored by prodigy just like I have met good and bad people from all manufacturers. Just for whatever reason, prodigy players are the least welcoming. In my opinion and experience.
I think it does matter for newer players. I play with a good number of random 20-year olds just getting into it and they have 2-3 discs each. As we start talking about understable, overstable, glide, etc...it's extra work when they say "I threw a Tomagotchi there"...and then I'm like "ok, let's see the flight numbers...ok you'd benefit from something a little more stable with flight numbers like A, B, C, D. Ok which disc has that if I don't bag one? Ummmm let me look up some discs on my phone. Ok, maybe a Leopard3".

I don't bag any Prodigy, but if someone new says "I threw a D2 there"...I already know that's an overstable Distance Driver. I can pretty much instantly tell them "You should probably be throwing an F4 or F5". The comparison is easy, and it's easy even if I don't throw those speeds or stabilities.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,604 Times in 1,413 Posts

Quote:

I have never met a panda that didn't try to bite me... well, ok... i have never met a panda...

Niced: (3)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,872 Times in 1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyVulture View Post
I know alot of people avoid Prodigy because of the naming system, although it is by far the easiest to understand in Disc Golf.

I have an H2v2 that is exactly what you'd expect

LULZ!

Old 04-19-2021, 01:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 183
Niced 191 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
More experiential than data-driven, but my experience is this:

I started playing again this year after about 10-15 years off. I was attracted to Prodigy's naming convention because I'm a pretty analytical guy and looking at other companies with their 20 different speed 9 drivers, many of which appeared to be exactly the same, left me more confused than anything.
I'm in this camp (although they did confuse things a bit with H, V2 and X). Look at their naming convention for the ACE line: they're really trying for simple and straightforward!

Niced: (2)
Old 04-19-2021, 03:50 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 135 Times in 76 Posts

All I know is my F2 400 is just a fantastic Fairway driver. I also use an A3. I think its the best feeling approach disc for me.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 81
Niced 522 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
"Wow! That disc bombs for me but the name.....EEEWWWWWWW"! ... just does not happen.
No kidding! If I happen to throw a disc called the "Maggot" or the "Dog Crap" and it leaves my hand like a rocket you can bet it's going in the bag toot sweet!

I wouldn't doubt that there are some players that wouldn't try Prodigy discs because of their names.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:19 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 46 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here, I have seen it first hand. I was actually sniped at a few times by a street team player last year for doing nothing wrong... lol. But, the Prodigy sponsored players local to me are all decent people and helped me make my decision to apply. I do understand how guys can get a sense of entitlement and arrogance being tied to a manufacturer, hell, I raced BMX for 15 years, I WAS one of those guys at first, and I think that's taught me to hold true to who I am instead of believing im better than Joe.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:44 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 42 Times in 18 Posts

Not having much experience under my belt, since september including winter, I bought a majority of Innova stuff because they have the numbers stamped on them. It's very helpful for comparison when you're trying to discover flight characteristics and can't yet tell what a disc will do just by looking at the amount of dome etc. I went so far as to look up all of my other discs and sharpie the flight numbers on them. We have a few Prodigy discs and use them regularly. As a noob, to me they seem "vanilla ice cream" compared to my bright lime green Big Z Drone with it's huge robot wasp stamp covering most of the flight plate, although I know that it's done primarily for marketing. Maybe it's the same with the Innova DX stuff having pictured graphics compared to the Champ and Star offerings. That DX Destroyer is pretty sweet looking lol.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 120
Niced 834 Times in 382 Posts

Tough crowd in here... I know my KJUSA H2V2.3 in 750G plastic is going to hyzer-flip to anny-flex cut roll every time.