* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,580 Times in 1,418 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
We stopped doing business with Prodigy after selling their discs for less then a year I believe. Prodigy discs werent selling and when Prodigy reached out to us to reorder from them we told them that. They then told us the reason why they arent selling is because our salesmen (including myself) werent good at sales and that their discs arent the problem but the issue is with us.

Its been a glorious few years without having to deal with them. Id advise any DG business not to do business with Prodigy for the reason above.
lol I bet I know who said it or told them to say it.
One of the founders of Prodigy had the nickname "Hollywood" back in the day. Likes himself very much.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2021, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,604 Times in 1,413 Posts

Quote:
We stopped doing business with Prodigy after selling their discs for less then a year I believe. Prodigy discs werent selling and when Prodigy reached out to us to reorder from them we told them that. They then told us the reason why they arent selling is because our salesmen (including myself) werent good at sales and that their discs arent the problem but the issue is with us.

Its been a glorious few years without having to deal with them. Id advise any DG business not to do business with Prodigy for the reason above.
You would find dealing with them currently to be far different.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:21 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,108 Times in 1,168 Posts

Seems it's more of a word of mouth market for Prodigy due to limited brand recognition. In the DFW area they were basically non existent, but once they sponsored a few local pros who are active in clubs, things took off a bit.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:31 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 182
Niced 1,226 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
You would find dealing with them currently to be far different.
yea, Will has apologized to us in the mean time but the damage has been done and Prodigys reputation will never come back for me.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 617 Times in 353 Posts

Quote:
yea, Will has apologized to us in the mean time but the damage has been done and Prodigys reputation will never come back for me.
Only you know how things went down, for sure. An apology goes a long way with me though. Appreciate you mentioning this.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:44 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 160 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Local Dynamic Discs Kansas City store does not sell Prodigy. Has Innova, Discraft, Discmania, MVP/Axiom/Streamline, Gateway, and of course Trilogy. (Maybe another brand or two... Millenium?)

Is there any relationship/handshake between some manufacturers so a retailer wouldn’t stock Prodigy?

Granted, there are dozens of other brands they don’t stock, and maybe had to draw the line somewhere, but in other retailers I see big brands (Innova, Discraft, Trilogy) now and then, but never Prodigy.
I've asked Josh, the stores owner, this directly before when all the prodigy was on the clearance rack. He said that it just didn't sell so they weren't going to re-order.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:13 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 182
Niced 1,226 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Only you know how things went down, for sure. An apology goes a long way with me though. Appreciate you mentioning this.
NP, it sounds like we werent the only ones to have this happen to.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:31 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,949 Times in 1,193 Posts

Around here Prodigy is everywhere, they are close and they have a pretty big street team that promote them in a big way. Also many courses are going in with their basket due to proximity and pricing.

Tons of tournaments in this area have Prodigy players packs and I have to say it’s very split on how locals view them. Seems to be a love/hate thing. I don’t buy many of their discs, throwing some M1s right now but I’m not much of a brand loyalist.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:33 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 135 Times in 76 Posts

I only own three Prodigy discs... but all three are great.... A3, Pa3 and F2....

Old 04-12-2021, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 71
Niced 299 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:

This 100%.

I chatted with them near the end of '19 and expressed that I was probably dropping them from my store. I was told I wasn't doing enough for the brand, that I was expected to push their brand "because it's obvious that you aren't", and that it must be a local thing. I told them that 70% of my sales were to 50 states and 17 countries, and 30% were local. No reply to that. I was convinced to buy into the ACE line after that. Figured I'd give it one more shot. Ended up having to sell them below dealer cost just to sell 1. I gave them 6+ years and nothing happened unfortunately.

Overall, I didn't find anything that they were doing different than any other manufacturer. Prices are about the same, minimums are about the same, MSRP's are about the same. It just came down to numbers for me. Their best year of 6+ years here accounted for 4.7% of my overall sales. The last 3 years accounted for 2.5% of my sales. People are just not wanting it. At least from us anyways.