Old 04-12-2021, 09:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 404 Times in 179 Posts

Prodigy is the 1 bigger manufacture I have never had an interest in throwing. They are certainly not popular around here as I don't think I know anyone that bags even 1 of their discs. I have thought about trying some, but it seems like there is always inventory issues whenever I try to look for them, and they always seem more expensive than everyone else.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2021, 11:03 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 346
Niced 5,909 Times in 2,492 Posts

Just reading this thread...

It sounds to me like Prodigy needs to make a concerted effort to get more discs into more hands if they don't want their market share to dwindle in an increasingly competitive market.

I don't know much about the DG retail business, but it a couple of posters seem like they do, and they've basically said Prodigy blamed them go poor sakes, and said they didn't push Prodigy hard enough.

Seems like a chitty attitude. I would think it's the manufacturer's job to create the demand, and the retailers job to fill it. Why should any retailer have to put more work into moving company A than company B?

The only reason I can see for doing that is
if a manufacturer gives you better margin than the others. But assuming similar margins, there's no reason to push one harder than the others.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 340
Niced 776 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
They then told us the reason why they arent selling is because our salesmen (including myself) werent good at sales and that their discs arent the problem but the issue is with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw83028 View Post
I chatted with them near the end of '19 and expressed that I was probably dropping them from my store. I was told I wasn't doing enough for the brand, that I was expected to push their brand "because it's obvious that you aren't", and that it must be a local thing. I told them that 70% of my sales were to 50 states and 17 countries, and 30% were local. No reply to that.

why does this person (these people?) still have a job?

Niced: (2)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 539
Niced 2,302 Times in 1,084 Posts

I dabbled around with a few different Prodigy molds a few years ago. The plastic for more than half of them is already starting to break down. They started out feeling great. Some of the best feeling plastic I've ever felt actually. I have 4 different 400's, a 400G and a 2018 Utah Open Stamped disc that I'm not sure of the plastic. All of these look and feel horrendous now. After only a few years. I have some others that are still in pretty decent shape. I can safely say that I will not be buying any more discs from them. I have over 400 discs and they are the only ones that I've seen this happen to.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 340
Niced 776 Times in 366 Posts

that's weird

have you ever seen older taffy CE, KC pro, or proline plastic leeching some part of the material? at this point i think most of it does that and it usually gets described as "fingerprinty" or whatever. i wonder if it's similar to that.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-13-2021, 06:55 AM
* Ace No More *

Courses Played: 346
Niced 5,909 Times in 2,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
that's weird

have you ever seen older taffy CE, KC pro, or proline plastic leeching some part of the material? at this point i think most of it does that and it usually gets described as "fingerprinty" or whatever. i wonder if it's similar to that.
Yeah, but how old is CE plastic, or old KC Pro?

Prodigy hasn't even been around that long. No reason their plastic should feel/look bad at this point.

I'm hearing they have very regional sales, blame retailers for poor sales in areas where there demand is low, and their plastic feels bad years earlier than other brands.

I'm not hating. I'm more concerned that they sponsor my favorite player: KJ USA. I hope that he and the other Team Prodigy players didn't ave attach themselves with a sinking ship.

If anyone else has something more positive to say in in Prodigy's favor, please speak up. I like the premise they started out with, with all those players getting a piece of the action.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,086 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Yeah, but how old is CE plastic, or old KC Pro?

Prodigy hasn't even been around that long. No reason their plastic should feel/look bad at this point.

I'm hearing they have very regional sales, blame retailers for poor sales in areas where there demand is low, and their plastic feels bad years earlier than other brands.

I'm not hating. I'm more concerned that they sponsor my favorite player: KJ USA. I hope that he and the other Team Prodigy players didn't ave attach themselves with a sinking ship.

If anyone else has something more positive to say in in Prodigy's favor, please speak up. I like the premise they started out with, with all those players getting a piece of the action.
I don't think there is much to worry about in regards to that. The discs are clearly good enough to be competitive.

...and it seems like the couple of comments about it not selling are based off experiences from a few years back. If you could get it on the shelf now, I bet you could sell it to the people that walk in and see walls of empty Discraft and Discmania and Innova racks.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 81
Niced 522 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
If you could get it on the shelf now, I bet you could sell it to the people that walk in and see walls of empty Discraft and Discmania and Innova racks.
I noticed that Disc Golf Center only has a few Prodigy discs available. The availability of discs from other manufacturers is also very low, but it seemed like Prodigy was much lower than Discraft or Innova.
So even if you wanted to try them...you can't. I guess if they are mostly sold out then people did buy them.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 183
Niced 191 Times in 91 Posts

I was an enthusiastic Prodigy customer when I started playing, about four years ago. I liked the idea of a company giving players a piece of the action, and I really liked their simple naming convention. I've bought 10 different Prodigy molds across the full range of distance to putters, and 2 are currently in the bag (F5, P Model S). I have multiples of both, and the consistency of the molds from disc to disc is pretty good. I have had some real outliers though: they were "X-outs." These weren't just the case of mis-stamping or blemishes, though - they flew/felt REALLY different, so I think they are outside the range of measurements. For example, I have an F7 with a noticeably different PLH - and I can't possibly throw it with enough hyzer to not become a roller.

So I would really advise anyone to stay away from buying X-outs from Prodigy. My overall experience is still positive though. I strongly recommend the P Model S as a flat, shallow putter (very similar to the Kastaplast Reko). And I bag a couple of F5's in different states of wear. I haven't experienced "bad" 400G plastic.

Niced: (3)

Old 04-13-2021, 09:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 617 Times in 353 Posts

FWIW, I did not intend this to be a Prodigy bashing thread.

I got a text last Wednesday from a guy who found my Discraft Flick I left on hole 5 30’ from the basket, edge of woods. (That’s where I chained out my birdie putt, and left without picking up the disc.) Guy has my disc, so I go straight to the course and pick it up because I don’t want returning mt disc to be any hassle, like it can be sometimes. I ask the guy if there was any discs he liked or was looking for, because I’d have given him one if I had something close. He says he throws all Prodigy. I was kinda shocked because it’s pretty rare. I tell him I didn’t want to give up my only Prodigy disc, that 400 D2. I thank him and head off. I noticed a couple of days ago in the local Facebook group that he got an ace on the hole where I met him at the tee box. If I’d have stayed 5 mins I could have watched. Anyway, there’s one good Prodigy story.