Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 362 Times in 206 Posts
Default The Daredevil Caribou is the Discraft Comet that Isn't

The Daredevil Caribou is like the Man in the Iron Mask to the Discraft Comet. Shunned, hidden into obscurity, few people know of its existence while the wicked Comet reigns supreme.

PDGA Approval Stats for the Comet
PDGA Approval Stats for the Caribou

Waaaaaait a minute...

Get ready for it...

The Caribou is a beadless Soft-X Comet.

To all those people asking, "is there a beadless comet?" Yes. Yes there is.

I gave up on the comet after the repeated flensing of my fingers thanks to the razor like bead on the z-comet. I loved what it could do, but I wasn't down with wearing a glove in the summer just to throw that disc. So I moved on.

I bought the Caribou not thinking it was going to be what it is. Ignore the flight numbers and flight charts, Daredevil's discs never seem to be aligned to them. I just wanted something that was like a later turning sol.

What I got was magic.

Grip Performance plastic on the Caribou feels identical to Discraft Soft-X (I used my ringer and ringer GT for comparison)

The Caribou is a dream finesse midrange. Like the comet, it handles a wide array of throws (and misthrows). Powered down it flies nice and straight with great glide just like a comet. Rides an anny line like a champ. Can fan grip this thing without hesitation. At power which turns over my mako, the caribou is still stable, which is a little different than the comet, which I get to flip easier. At 50-75% power, the control and glide is unmatched by any other disc I have...except the comet.

So no joke, I am not being flip when I say that I really think the Caribou is the answer to all of you seeking a beadless comet.

In the attached images, the yellow disc is a brand-new caribou and the orange disc is a z-comet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2754.jpg (75.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2755.jpg (53.4 KB, 61 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2021, 12:02 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 141
Niced 4,265 Times in 1,547 Posts

Aren't the Caribou, Moose and Grizzly all the same mold in different plastics?

It seems to me (and I could be remembering this wrong) that the Caribou version originally was a DXish plastic run at like 158g or 160g so it seemed too light for a midrange I'd want to try. They have changed this up now so it's a more viable option. It seems like now you could get a Caribou to test against an X-Comet, and a Grizzly to test against a Z Comet and see how they do. The Moose is made in a "Flex performance Plastic" so I don't know if it would compare to any Comet plastic or not.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-13-2021, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,457 Times in 2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post

It seems to me (and I could be remembering this wrong) that the Caribou version originally was a DXish plastic run at like 158g or 160g so it seemed too light for a midrange I'd want to try. They have changed this up now so it's a more viable option. It seems like now you could get a Caribou to test against an X-Comet, and a Grizzly to test against a Z Comet and see how they do. The Moose is made in a "Flex performance Plastic" so I don't know if it would compare to any Comet plastic or not.
Grizzly is way more Rocish than a Z Comet.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 360 Times in 195 Posts

Funny thing is that I just got a 2021 MJ Comet, and I really like it (much better for me than 2020 MJ Comet), but I was wondering what I could do to soften up the bead that indeed does feel like I could cut paper with it. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2021, 01:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post

It probably was. This caribou variant is 174g and the Grip Performance is not at all like the "Grip Performance" that's on my swift fox. The swift fox "grip performance" feels like a cross between star and big-z whereas this caribou is indistinguishable in feel of Soft-X. I was so confused when it arrived. It felt almost as soft as the walrus (which is elastic performance), but there is definitely less give and I don't think I could fold it in half like you can with elastic performance. But if you've ever felt Discraft's Soft-X, it feels just like it.
All caribous on Daredevil's site now are 174-178. In fact, the weight differences which used to be signature Daredevil seem to be gone (at least in their mids of the same mold).
Old 04-13-2021, 01:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Ugh I ran out of edit time.
I meant to say that I would probably dig the moose as I love Flex Performance (Timberwolf, Merlin, and Mammoth) but this new caribou is surprisingly versatile with how good its grip is. The odd thing I noticed about Daredevil in my own anecdotal experience is that their extremes are way more tempered than advertised. My caribou is understable, but not crazy so. At these comparable weights, I'd be surprised if there is a substantial difference anymore between the caribou, moose, and grizzly. At least one that can be detected by someone with under a 900 rating...?
Old 04-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Niced 525 Times in 329 Posts

... How are you guys getting cut on beads? They should be less sharp than bead-less.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:57 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 221
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,727 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
To all those people asking, "is there a beadless comet?" Yes. Yes there is.
Don't forget about the ABC Flying Squirrel. Nice to see Daredevil getting some love though. The RDG Ptero is one of the straightest faster drivers I've ever thrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Funny thing is that I just got a 2021 MJ Comet, and I really like it (much better for me than 2020 MJ Comet), but I was wondering what I could do to soften up the bead that indeed does feel like I could cut paper with it. Anyone have any thoughts?
You can throw it flat on pavement so it slides across it until the flashing is ground down. If it's not directly on the bottom of the mold, you could also use a sanding block to grind it down.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:02 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,945 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Don't forget about the ABC Flying Squirrel. Nice to see Daredevil getting some love though. The RDG Ptero is one of the straightest faster drivers I've ever thrown.

You can throw it flat on pavement so it slides across it until the flashing is ground down. If it's not directly on the bottom of the mold, you could also use a sanding block to grind it down.
I ended up getting a Sabertooth the other day since I missed my RDG Raptor. They throw really well, forgot how much glide they had for an OS disc.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I ended up getting a Sabertooth the other day since I missed my RDG Raptor. They throw really well, forgot how much glide they had for an OS disc.
I loved that about the mammoth as well. The only reason I gave up on the mammoth is that I discovered 150g OS fairways like my 153g Neutron Motion.