Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I disagree. I think everyone should start in the lowest division they're comfortable with. A lot of guys get intimidated, and a poor performance can hinder their desire to go back and play another tournament. I'd rather see someone shellack the Novice guys in his first time out, despite his mental errors and nerves on the teepad early on - than go out and make those same mental mistakes, fall behind early, and get on himself getting discouraged about his tournament debut - turning it all into a disaster and a turned off attitude regarding tournament play.
wow, people are that weak minded to give up just because of a few poor performances? how about the will to work harder and improve your game after a beat down? if a players competitive nature is that low then they wont last anyways
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I mean look at the word "Rec" what the heck are recreational players doing competing in a tournament?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 138
Niced 106 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashzero View Post
wow, people are that weak minded to give up just because of a few poor performances? how about the will to work harder and improve your game after a beat down? if a players competitive nature is that low then they wont last anyways
On the one hand - I can see your sentiment here. But you're really putting people in a very very narrow band, mental makeup wise. I have a couple of examples where guys that have VERY STRONG competitive makeup were turned off of disc golf tournaments by a poor experience being forced to play above their rating.

The one strongest in my mind is my own little brother. He was a borderline sub-16 minute 5K runner, and a great basketball player. Since he graduated HS he has turned himself into a 350 pound bench pressing monster that plays basketball at a HIGH level for his military squads. He's highly competitive. When he was 16 he was coming off of a successful run as a U16 Junior. Won his first Am3 tournament. Won his first Am2 tournament (beating me in a 7 hole playoff, much to my older-brother shame). His rating was bumped a hair over the then-915 line for advanced. And he was CREAMED in his first two experiences in Advanced.

He lost all interest - due to being forced to compete against guys SO FAR over his rating (the field was filled with guys over 960). It wasn't because he's not competitive as a person, but because he thought to himself: why bother coming out here and getting creamed and feeling worthless on the course when I've got other pursuits I already excel at?

Guys thinking that EXACT thought are why the rating breaks were changed to something more reasonable - our present breaks. It isn't that we're losing guys that have a poor competitive attitude - its that we're losing potentially elite players who decide that they'd rather continue to stick with what they already excel at than get murdered just because they got hot one time (in my brother's case - his rating dragged over the break by a single 989 rated glo round, he was almost always around 910 at the time).

Just because someone is turned off of disc golf tournaments by being railroaded off the course when they're not ready for the division they get forced into doesn't mean they're not competitive people. It doesn't make them people we don't want. Keeping people in rating appropriate divisions, with appropriate rating breaks, is important. Keeping people from becoming discouraged before they can even fall in love with playing tournament golf SHOULD be a priority of the PDGA (and is).
Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 288
Niced 1,686 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I'm in favor of adding a trophy only "unrated division," and making enjoyment of ratings capped divisions a privelege of PDGA membership.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 90
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
As an Advanced Grandmaster, I love the division name scheme. No where else does anyone call me Advanced, or Grand, or a Master.
I've seen you say this before on here. You need to put this in your signature
Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
As an Advanced Grandmaster, I love the division name scheme. No where else does anyone call me Advanced, or Grand, or a Master.
It would go well with my other option, which is, "The worst disc golfer in the world who LIVES on a course." Alas, I'll stick with course promotion, from the avatar to the signature.

Anyway, combine in one thread the nonsensical division names, the mythical bagger problem, a little chest-thumping "man up and play up", and ways to discourage new players from joining the tournament scene, and we've drifted about as far from JenB's enthusiastic O.P. as possible. So I'll drift it back with a.....

I hope the Novice division, despite its name, is successful and offered regularly in the future, in her region.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 50 Times in 32 Posts

"Novice" who has been playing for 7 years ?

The naming of the divisions is realy ridiculous. We should just start in ratings divisions.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 84
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Long story short, 2 ladies registered for FWM so I switched divisions. Then, turns out they were both under age 40, so we all got moved to FA1. In the meantime, all the int ladies had moved up to FA1, so we had a 7 person FA1 division. After the 1st round, I was tied for the lead, and wound up finishing 3 strokes back in 2nd. I declined payout and the 2 int ladies that tied for 3rd got a nice payout. The 4 players in novice still had a nice division to themselves. I think a 16 year old girl won, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by jenb; 03-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.