Old 07-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default OB4 2015 ITB

Here's what I'm working with so far this year. I'm always interested in hearing about people who drop molds that I currently carry for something else and why. So if you used to carry any of these molds, but dropped them in favor of another, I'd love to hear the reasons for your switch. I'm primarily a RHBH player and my FH distance prob maxes out at 300.

Putters (throwing up to ~300):
  • X-Line P1x: for putting (Switched from a wizard, these are just uber straight even at the lowest speeds. I found myself putting at pretty high velocities during practice, but slower during competitive rounds due to nerves and whatnot. Switching to the P1x allowed me to putt at lower speeds without having to worry about it fading prematurely. Highly suggest this mold for any who's experiencing similar issues)
  • P-Line P1x: for straight and turnovers (Formerly threw a Nova. Flies on the same lines but better feel in hand)
  • XG Champ Rhyno: for straight to stable
  • 400s PA1: for overstable

Mid-range (~330):
  • Champion Mako3: for hyzer flips and turnovers (only in the bag until my KC Pro Roc gets beat into hyzer flip territory)
  • KC Pro Roc: beat in for straight throws when thrown flat.
  • Champion Roc3: for straight to stable and slight headwinds
  • Z-Buzzz: for similar shots to Roc3 but need more distance and less fade
  • Champion Gator: seldom used except in extreme wind conditions, doglegs, or skip shots

Fairway drivers (~360):
  • S-Line FD: hyzerflips/turnovers
  • C-Line FD (2nd Run): straight to stable
  • Pinnacle Rival or Recon Proto Veteran: I'll use these discs interchangeably. Haven't decided which one I prefer. But use them for shots where I need an overall straight shot when thrown flat and I prefer not to throw a hyzer flip or when I would like a little turn to avoid trees etc, these both turn a little and then fade a little.
  • Champion Firebird or C-Line FD3: Typically bag a Firebird, trying out the FD3 right now though.

Control Drivers (~400):
  • Neutron Impulse: I don't typically carry this in the bag unless I know I want to throw a roller or if I'm playing a very wooded course and I need something that'll flip at lower throwing speeds
  • Neutron Inertia: I use this like a longer Rival/Veteran
  • S-Line PD: Use these for straight shots up to 400 where I don't want much fade
  • C-Line PD: I'll use these for more windy situations that the S-Line PD might not handle as well, flex shots, and forehands

Distance Drivers (~430):
  • G* Destroyer: for hyzerflips and turnovers
  • 2xStar Destroyer: for straight to stable
  • C-Line PD2: For extreme wind and FH's, acts like a longer Firebird for me.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by OB Four; 07-17-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 24 Times in 19 Posts

Well, I have experience with just a few molds you throw but I figured I'd chime in since you asked about people who have dropped X in favor of Y.

I used to bag a Z Buzzz but decided to try a Roc3 for more stability. I kept hanging my Buzzz out right and expecting it to come back, but it wouldn't and then I'd be in trouble. I love my Z Buzzz but I tried the Roc3 and fell in love with it. It has all the same shot-shaping abilities but with some added fade for when you need it.

Oh, Firebird, we hardly knew ye. I'm in the minority here because everyone clamors for the Firebird while the one I had was just waaaayyyy too stupidly overstable. It was a flat 12x Champ FB and that thing was a boomerang. It would instantly hook out of my hand and I struggled to throw it ~250'. I have a very negative opinion of the Firebird because of this. It was useless. The guy who owns our local store recommended me the Starfire, and as soon as I threw it I knew I had found my OS driver. Starfire r00lz, Firebird dr00lz. It is just better in every way and it actually FLIES before fading. That was a huge point for me, to have an overstable driver that actually flies in the air.

So that's my story. I know I didn't contribute much here but I have some strong feelings about the Firebird that flew like a brick. Dropped it in favor of something better. Z Buzzz is still a great disc, I was actually thinking about bringing it out for some air time.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 917 Times in 454 Posts

I just wanted to say that I also switched over to the x-line P1x for putting and love it. Always been a neutral to understable putter guy and these are awesome.

@Nate...get a regular Firebird sometime. 170ish with a little dome. I felt the same way about the FAF ones...had to muscle them too much. Don't write off the mold completely because of the flatties. They had no use to me either.

And on that note, I'll be interested to see comparisons between the Firebird and the FD3.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

As someone who has NEVER clicked with firebirds, I've been LOVING the FD3 in the couple rounds I've thrown it
Old 07-18-2015, 01:04 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
I used to bag a Z Buzzz but decided to try a Roc3 for more stability. I kept hanging my Buzzz out right and expecting it to come back, but it wouldn't and then I'd be in trouble. I love my Z Buzzz but I tried the Roc3 and fell in love with it. It has all the same shot-shaping abilities but with some added fade for when you need it.

Oh, Firebird, we hardly knew ye. I'm in the minority here because everyone clamors for the Firebird while the one I had was just waaaayyyy too stupidly overstable. It was a flat 12x Champ FB and that thing was a boomerang. It would instantly hook out of my hand and I struggled to throw it ~250'. I have a very negative opinion of the Firebird because of this. It was useless. The guy who owns our local store recommended me the Starfire, and as soon as I threw it I knew I had found my OS driver. Starfire r00lz, Firebird dr00lz. It is just better in every way and it actually FLIES before fading. That was a huge point for me, to have an overstable driver that actually flies in the air.

So that's my story. I know I didn't contribute much here but I have some strong feelings about the Firebird that flew like a brick. Dropped it in favor of something better. Z Buzzz is still a great disc, I was actually thinking about bringing it out for some air time.
Yeah I find myself using the Buzzz or Roc3 a lot at different times and think I might as well drop one of them from the bag, but then I pick up whichever one I had been neglecting and realize why I bagged them again. One thing I noticed in terms of the difference b/t the two, I feel more accurate throwing hyzers with the roc3 than the buzzz- while I prefer the buzzz for straighter shots when released flat.

Never thrown a starfire. I'm honestly not sure how far I can even throw a firebird, I'm never thinking about trying to get them far out when I pull them out. Usually looking for a crazy skip, spike hyzer, trying to handle crazy wind, or FH bc they're so OS that it compensates for my crappy FH form. I'm not sure I'd bag FB's if I lived in any other state that wasn't as windy as Texas can be sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I just wanted to say that I also switched over to the x-line P1x for putting and love it. Always been a neutral to understable putter guy and these are awesome.

@Nate...get a regular Firebird sometime. 170ish with a little dome. I felt the same way about the FAF ones...had to muscle them too much. Don't write off the mold completely because of the flatties. They had no use to me either.

And on that note, I'll be interested to see comparisons between the Firebird and the FD3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
As someone who has NEVER clicked with firebirds, I've been LOVING the FD3 in the couple rounds I've thrown it
I'm finding the FD3 is much more workable than the FAF Firebird I was bagging. I definitely find myself being able to use it on more holes/situations than the Firebird. That said, sometimes I don't want it to go as far as it does.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Niced 38 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Four View Post

I'm finding the FD3 is much more workable than the FAF Firebird I was bagging. I definitely find myself being able to use it on more holes/situations than the Firebird. That said, sometimes I don't want it to go as far as it does.
This is exactly why I carry both Felons and XXXs.