Old 02-20-2017, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.8
Courses Played: 181
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 445 Times in 222 Posts

The argument usually states that there are too many age protected divisions. I tend to agree.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Explain

Please explain why a tournament as big as the Memorial (Scottsdale in two weeks) did not OFFER anything beyond Senior Grand Masters at time registration opened. If not enough sign up collapse entries into the lower group. As to trophies, if that is really important to you then you have other problems that need to be addressed some where else.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,525 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVER View Post
Please explain why a tournament as big as the Memorial (Scottsdale in two weeks) did not OFFER anything beyond Senior Grand Masters at time registration opened. If not enough sign up collapse entries into the lower group. As to trophies, if that is really important to you then you have other problems that need to be addressed some where else.
Have you tried contacting the TDs of the Memorial or any other tournament you want to play but doesn't offer Legends up front? They're really the only ones who can answer the question of why they're not offering it.

I would hazard a guess that they're like most other tournaments and have never had a demand for Legends therefore they haven't even considered offering it.

Niced: (3)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 381 Times in 193 Posts

I'm sorry.

Schools and Senior centers??? Grow the sport???

But, are we?, never mind.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 313
Niced 354 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
The argument usually states that there are too many age protected divisions. I tend to agree.
I've thought the same, and wonder why we don't have Masters from 45-59, Grandmasters from 60-74 & Legends from 75 & up... even though that would force me to 'move up' to tougher competition overall. Again, the Senior Games can have 5 year age divisions and be more accessible for a broader range of players who'd like to play against a tighter age range.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have continually attempted to get TDs to offer older age groups. A large tournament, like the Memorial, should automatically offer all the age groups designated by PDGA. A stipulation should be on the entry form stating that if less than X number of players register entrants will be moved the closest available group. Simple.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 53 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
I have continually attempted to get TDs to offer older age groups. A large tournament, like the Memorial, should automatically offer all the age groups designated by PDGA. A stipulation should be on the entry form stating that if less than X number of players register entrants will be moved the closest available group. Simple.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think X should be, how big should Y be (with Y being the maximum number of spots available for these divisions) and how far in advance should that X be met before eliminating a division and opening more spots for divisions that having waiting lists?

Also, how big in terms of total number of spots available should a tournament be before requiring them to offer all divisions?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub58 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you think X should be, how big should Y be (with Y being the maximum number of spots available for these divisions) and how far in advance should that X be met before eliminating a division and opening more spots for divisions that having waiting lists?

Also, how big in terms of total number of spots available should a tournament be before requiring them to offer all divisions?
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to be a TD?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,098 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
A large tournament, like the Memorial, should automatically offer all the age groups designated by PDGA.
I strongly disagree. There are tons of reasons for TD's to limit divisions. (Although most of them do not apply to a huge event played on flat easy to walk courses like the Memorial)

Old 02-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts

Next time I see another hand-wringing, pearl-clutching thread stating something like, "I don't understand why everyone doesn't love disc golf as much as I do," I'm gonna post a link to this thread.